ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Downsizing Question  (Read 9405 times)

Mark McFarlane

Re: Downsizing Question
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 02:29:23 AM »

I went to my local RCF stockist, and the TT's are out of our price range, but the ART 7 series is in the right ballpark. What do you think?

Unfortunately I haven't heard any RCF speakers except the TT and NX series, which I own.

Regarding the Danleys, there is a lot of info on this forum about their speakers that may allay your fears. After hanging out here for a decade, I wouldn't hesitate to buy *any* Danley speaker that suited the application.  The general consensus from users is that they all sound great and are built great, I've never seen a complaint, only 'wows'.  That's basically what led me to my RCF TTs. Everyone who heard them thought they sounded great, no negative comments other than the price.  That's rare on the Internet.

There is an adage here:"buy once, cry once". Play a few more gigs, save your pounds, build the right rig.

Regarding the TT08s, I'm not sure what kind of deals are available in the UK but you can get great prices in the USA, **way** below retail.  Shop around.

Here's a thread on the TT08s
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=143386.0

At the time I started that thread I went ahead and bought NX10SMAs and NX12SMAa because my primary duty was monitors and occasional center fill use. I'm still toying with picking up a pair of TT08s next month for center fills and for small mains for 200-300 capacity type audiences.

Like you, size and weight are 2 of my primary concerns in gear purchases.
Mark McFarlane

Simon Hutson

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 07:54:28 PM »

Hi everyone, I just wanted to "close the loop" on this thread. I spent a couple of hours with my local dealer and was able to audition the FBT ProMaxx 14A, RCF ART 712-A, and the RCF HD 12-A side by side, using a mixture of recorded material plus live vocals at full volume, with and without RCF 905AS 15" subs.

I chose to go with the RCF HD 12-A which seemed to have more clarity in the live vocals than the other two, even when the rest of the mix got complex. It also sounded much tighter in the bass frequencies than the others. The 712-A was a good performer as there wasn't much in it between this and the HD 12-A, but I was a little disappointed with the FBT which didn't have anywhere near the vocal clarity I was expecting. Perhaps they are more suited to recorded material rather than live sound???

Unfortunately he didn't have the TT08-A in stock, so I couldn't compare how much better these were - probably a good thing since they were almost 3 times the price of the HD 12-As and well outside my budget.

Thanks to everyone who gave their advice. Much appreciated.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »

I guess I'm late to this party, but I would have seconded the trailer option.  In my part of the states anyway, a little 5x8 enclosed trailer can be had for about $1500.  Not many decent speaker/sub combos that cheap.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:57:04 PM »

Thanks for such a quick reply Brian.

I did a search for those JBL models here in the UK, but couldn't find any stockist. I did see some SRX712m listed on www.eBay.co.uk, but these were 800w passive models.

The SRX range is passive. I own an SRX system and a PRX (powered) system. The PRX cabs certainly allow more room in the van due to the lack of amp rack as Brian pointed out and the heavy speakon cables to go with the system. The PRX612 (or 712 newer version) over a PRX618xlf (or 718xlf newer version) is a nice capable powered set-up and might be worth a listen before you buy. They are  a good compromise of weight, quality and price.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 05:09:45 AM »

Hi everyone, I just wanted to "close the loop" on this thread. ..

Thanks Simon for letting us know what you did. I hope the HD-12s are still going strong for many years :)
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 05:09:45 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.