ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: low balling a weekend worriors that have ruined profits  (Read 59503 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: low balling a weekend worriors that have ruined profits
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2014, 12:54:16 PM »

I can't think of many other businesses that have to operate with competition that doesn't plan to make a profit.

Wedding photography and gardening.

EDIT: Although I'm sure it's everyone's intention to make some sort of profit.

It's strange how this thread is running concurrently with one about raising prices!

Steve.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 01:18:02 PM »

... NOT make a profit on it since the business is subsidized by their normal day job.  ...

I can't think of many other businesses that have to operate with competition that doesn't plan to make a profit.
I know there has also been discussion on here in the past of competing with entities such as higher education institutions, who go out and buy a good amount of gear and then do all events on campus, using students for free labor, and being able to provide for events at cut rate prices.

That is not, in of itself, a bad thing, but then when this same institution goes out into the local community and offers their services, also at cut-rate prices, and since everything was purchased right out, so they don't need to absolutely show a profit... There have been complaints of that also damaging the business/industry.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »

This is true to a point.  However, the extremely easy startup allows people to get into the game for a very short while, and NOT make a profit on it since the business is subsidized by their normal day job.  While that's fine to get financing to start up, when the business plan does not include the ability to even break even, it hurts those that want to do this for a living.

Photography, painting, writing, graphic design, sewing, auto racing, computer support, professional shoppers, daycare, home improvement - the list goes on.  Virtually anything that someone may find fun means that there will be some amount of free and/or inexpensive labor.

Once again, if you are pursuing gigs that require whatever amount of licensing you have (personally I find a "business license" to be BS), then you are on a level playing field with others who carry the same amount of business infrastructure.  For gigs that do not require this - either due to lack of enforcement or just not requiring it - having that business infrastructure may be a liability - or not.  For those gigs, the most efficient vendor wins - by lowering quality, lowering business overhead, just being better at it, subsidizing the gig, etc.

There is a place for some amount of regulation - things involving life safety - and these things should be addressed with education, certification, licenses, inspection, codes, etc.  For everything else, I'm struggling to understand why we need more gov't in our faces.

To the forum, not necessarily Brian -
There will always be someone cheaper.  Either figure out how to add value and be worth your price, or get out of the way.  Whining about it is unproductive.  If you can't make what you want in the production business, maybe a career change should be in your future.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 02:07:13 PM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »

Once again, if you are pursuing gigs that require whatever amount of licensing you have (personally I find a "business license" to be BS)

The State of Florida did away with cities having "business licenses" a few years back. The now call it exactly what it is..

A "Business Tax Receipt"...
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

James A. Griffin

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2014, 03:37:15 PM »

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and ASSume that you are able to communicate with your clients on a plane higher than the one set forth in your OP rant.

That being said, success in any profession requires that you distinguish yourself by providing an exceptional product at a fair price, customer service that goes beyond the call of duty, and an attitude that clients, talent, and staff want to be around.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2014, 03:41:47 PM »

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and ASSume that you are able to communicate with your clients on a plane higher than the one set forth in your OP rant.

Thank you.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Guy Morris

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2014, 05:50:43 AM »

It is much the same in the UK and surprisingly you will find the low cost factor appear in some fairly high profile festivals. Apart from the main stage where its all high end and top budget you often find other small stages are provided for by companies who want the Kudos of being there, understandable as that is, unfortunately it allows the promoters and their chain of command to take advantage on the budget level and drive fees down.(that is how business works of course) Along time back I decided that as a rule if the fee did not cover a set of costs to me then it was not worth doing and 'Kudos' is not something that I value as a promoter of my business. My way of thinking is that you can discount kit but not people so if the fees cover crew and logistics with a lower percentage for the tech then I may do it because you often find the client starts asking for extras which are then charged for so adding to the tech percentage. It is human nature to go for the lowest cost, after all don't we all look at the fixed price menu in a restaurant first and the house wine! but then we often change up and spend a lot more!  In the corporate world it is a different scenario, low cost operators cannot compete so easily as it is not just stacks and racks and clients will not take the risk (the reason they stick with the same provider)  but whatever sector you work great customer service is a key element, that's why we all have a favourite restaurant, whether it's cheap or expensive!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2014, 06:18:57 PM »

That being said, success in any profession requires that you distinguish yourself by providing an exceptional product at a fair price, customer service that goes beyond the call of duty, and an attitude that clients, talent, and staff want to be around.

If there were ever to be a quote or statement of the month it should be your last paragraph. I've always demanded the best I can give from myself and from those who work with me. The minority think I'm either to hard on them, or just a prick. The majority are thankful I care on all counts. The minority fall by the wayside.

Well said James.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2014, 06:23:27 PM »

If there were ever to be a quote or statement of the month it should be your last paragraph. I've always demanded the best I can give from myself and from those who work with me. The minority think I'm either to hard on them, or just a prick.

Or, as Steve Earle put it, "I Ain't Ever Satisfied".

Thanks for your kind words, Bob.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2014, 12:36:34 AM »

That is very well said James

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2014, 12:36:34 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.