ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: low balling a weekend worriors that have ruined profits  (Read 59479 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: low balling a weekend worriors that have ruined profits
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 12:50:57 PM »

(Although I drew the line at staging and video walls. Haha.)

-Ray

We sub out staging as you need a good crew chief, and we don't have anyone with a passion for building stages.  Our rental requests for conventional stages have dropped significantly, too.

We're thinking about video walls and soft video curtains, though...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »

Our rental requests for conventional stages have dropped significantly, too.

Exactly. Why spend the time and effort and expense to build something out, when you can just call in an SL250. Haha.

We're thinking about video walls and soft video curtains, though...

I keep thinking about video walls-- the rental charge(s) on those are pretty appealing, but I think I will work on paying off my other debt first before buying new toys. :D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »

Exactly. Why spend the time and effort and expense to build something out, when you can just call in an SL250. Haha.

I keep thinking about video walls-- the rental charge(s) on those are pretty appealing, but I think I will work on paying off my other debt first before buying new toys. :D

-Ray

Our debt load is pretty small, the issue is the amount of competition in the "fits in a trailer" sizes.  Lots of folks with 1 ton pickups pulling these around.  That's one of the reasons we're thinking about soft walls - we can go bigger in less space/weight.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 02:55:54 PM »

Whatever you think of their business practices, a plan based on what the other guy should do is doomed to fail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »

i have been in the businuess since 1974. and i am in the new york metro area and i am fed up with these low ballers that have one system no insurance just a system that the idiot sends out for 300.00 a nite and makes it hard for real companies to make a profit let alone get jobs. its time that sound companies must meet a criteria to even book any gig. and to have the knowlage to know what there doing. i have a big investment and now i want to upgrade but barely make enough to keep going. my businuess has dropped by 50% since 2009 and its beacause of these jerks that give it away we also need to educate the public realize djs are not qualified not sound companys. and we also need to push the ftc to enforce equipment ratings such as the powerd speaker that puts out a 1000.00 for 299.00 and those who think there getting deals there not. most dealers will meet these prices. recently i sold some gear to a local school and beat an online dealer. and made a nice profit

NYC is a very hard market.  On top of all the issues you mentioned, you forgot the politics of NYC.  Many clubs and bars are being shut down, never to reopen as that line of business.  Community boards are getting tired of the drunks leaving clubs making too much noise.  Some clubs and lounges are not properly insulated and where before it was based on how loud the disturbance was from the entrance, (db meter) I believe it's now based on the discretion of the officer.  And let's not forget the laundry lists of permits that need to be maintained.  Some club operators are too stupid or cheap or both to keep their paperwork up to date.  As with any business, you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em...

Al Rettich

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 04:51:45 PM »

Thats been the way of the road here in southern, ohio. From the state line east to I-71, and from the state line north to I-70 I know of twenty six people that have "PA" for rent. Be it PA on a stick, or chinese line array boxes, or my favorite Mackie stacks. I lost a job I've had for five years, to this guy. He brought in twelve mackie stacks (hi pack plus sub). I was getting $1,500 for racks and stacks (providing line array) with two guys. The client asked if I could match his quote for $700.00. Or, there is a party in the park situation downtown. Client asked me to bid on it. Tired of JBL HLA. Bidded it with VerTec. Gave him a great deal. Six boxes a side over top three subs a side. Four wedges, with a SC48 out front. $1,250.00 only cause it was a ongoing situation. Said he was only paying $250.00 a night with the HLA.
i have been in the businuess since 1974. and i am in the new york metro area and i am fed up with these low ballers that have one system no insurance just a system that the idiot sends out for 300.00 a nite and makes it hard for real companies to make a profit let alone get jobs. its time that sound companies must meet a criteria to even book any gig. and to have the knowlage to know what there doing. i have a big investment and now i want to upgrade but barely make enough to keep going. my businuess has dropped by 50% since 2009 and its beacause of these jerks that give it away we also need to educate the public realize djs are not qualified not sound companys. and we also need to push the ftc to enforce equipment ratings such as the powerd speaker that puts out a 1000.00 for 299.00 and those who think there getting deals there not. most dealers will meet these prices. recently i sold some gear to a local school and beat an online dealer. and made a nice profit

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »

My day job is an electrical contractor-so I almost never post in the LAB.  That said, business is business. So I pose this question. 

At the LAB level do you really want to be doing gigs that you get by being the lowest cost provider?

I am fairly new in business (at least full time make it or break)-another contractor advised me that the customers I get because I am the lowest cost provider will be gone as soon as lower priced provider comes along.  Yes the pricing pressure is there, and yes I do some work at low ball rates to get opportunities.  But my bread and butter is customers that call me and don't ask price (or maybe ask just to make sure they have enough pennies in the piggy bank) because they know I will deliver quality work at a fair price.  "Quality" has many facets, of course.
Steve Swaffer

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 05:56:56 PM »

"Quality" has many facets, of course.

Saw a great bumper sticker on the back of a plumber's van:  "Good is never cheap, and cheap is never good."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 06:14:22 PM »

Saw a great bumper sticker on the back of a plumber's van:  "Good is never cheap, and cheap is never good."

How about "If you think hiring a professional is expensive, wait until you try hiring an amateur."

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »

I'm sympathetic, Claude, but there ain't much you can do when services become "Wal-Marted".  Customer shops for lowest price, end of story.

While it would be nice if there were some kind of "seal of approval", our American history suggests that our lawmakers aren't terribly interested in creating occupational or professional licensing for what we do.  We're not pharmacists or realtors or plumbers or nurses or, or or....  but bad audio hasn't killed anyone, yet.  Shady business practices have their own repercussions, but lots of slimy operators get by for far too long.

I wish there were an answer.

The "seal of approval" is the additonal money you can ask for based on a reputation for providing quality sound and a quality performance. Combine that with customer service and most people with a gig worth working will spend the additional money.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.