ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best "Bang for the Buck" Touring Grade 'No DSP' Amp--QSC PowerLight 3?  (Read 15651 times)

Dave Gunnell

Hi All:

Per the thread title, I am investigating power amplifiers to replace some aging inventory, and I don't want/need any DSP in them (using EAW UX8800 for DSP).  Looking for regional touring quality with very good value, and I rarely deal with riders.  So far it looks like the QSC PowerLight 3 series (PL325, PL340, PL380) is fitting the bill.  Any thoughts on these amps?  Any others that can compete at the same cost/quality point?  Will be powering EAW KF650z rig and subs.

Appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks.

Dave

Brandon Wright

Hi All:

Per the thread title, I am investigating power amplifiers to replace some aging inventory, and I don't want/need any DSP in them (using EAW UX8800 for DSP).  Looking for regional touring quality with very good value, and I rarely deal with riders.  So far it looks like the QSC PowerLight 3 series (PL325, PL340, PL380) is fitting the bill.  Any thoughts on these amps?  Any others that can compete at the same cost/quality point?  Will be powering EAW KF650z rig and subs.

Dave

My 650z rig is powered with the crest pro200 series; also processed by the UX8800. They have been rock solid for me. Just a simple, no frills, lightweight amplifier. Power output is comparable to the powerlight 3 series but is a little less efficient due to its linear output stage. However, some might also argue that the linear output stage offers a sonic advantage over the switching PL3s. They are cheaper than the PL3s as well.

jason misterka

Hi All:

Dave

We have owned fifteen PL3 amps that were purchased upon their release (8+ years ago?) and have never had a single failure. Can't say that about the other amps we own...

Jason

chuck clark

QSC are wonderful. I own several, but my favorite? +1 Crest Pro200.
But then I've only been mixing for 30yrs. What do I know? 
Chuck

claude cascioli

Hi All:

qsc is a great choice the rmx series has a lot of bang for the buck . i have bunch of qsc got rid of my crowns .ps the new crowns are garbage qsc is a great company that takes care of there customers crown could care less just ask them about an amp out of waranty. the plx or pl amps are all great amps. i love qsc there great. stay away from crest also crest is not the company it used to be. crown and harman sucks

chuck clark

Does Mr. Gunnel have 1st hand experience w/ Crest? Yes Crest got bought by Peavey, but because Hartley wanted access to their wonderful engineering staff.  Crest is still the opposite of Behringer- that is, they are built with TOP grade electronic components through-out. In over 20 yrs I've only had one experience w/ Crest's service department and that was with an amp that was in a building that burned down and one channel still worked! They fixed it immediately and it was back on the job in less than 10 days including shipping time both ways.
So which should you listen to? Someone who has years of personal experience or someone who "suspects" or "heard something" ?
I'm selling Crest Pro 200 amps to "dumb" DJ's now who blow up EVERYTHING but the Cresties are rock solid. Sorry but in my 30 yrs. I've Blown up -er I mean owned LOTS of different kinds of amps and when I say they're good -it's NOT just because I heard it somewhere. Thank you very much. (end rant)
Chuck

chuck clark

Sorry Dave, I just realized you were the O.P. and were quoting someone else. My apologies!

EvanKirkendall

• Personal Text?
    • Evan Kirkendall

Hi All:

Dave

Lab Gruppen fP series?

Evan
HarfordSound LLC
HarfordSound Facebook

-Your friendly neighborhood dealer for everything!-

*Voted most destructive on mids, 2006*
*Most low end at a rock show, 5 years running*

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

Hi All:

Dave

Check out speakerpower.net.  PL3 series is a good choice, in any case.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John Penkala

Lab Gruppen fP series?

Evan

Nice amps. Although, I think the cost might be more than the OP wants to spend.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.