ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regarding the PM5d and QL5 on riders  (Read 17963 times)

jason misterka

Re: Regarding the PM5d and QL5 on riders
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »

I can't understand why an artist would do this.  Data cables are inexpensive and lightweight.  They are not readily available in all markets, and when they don't work, your entire show is in jeopardy.  They are the last thing I would leave to chance.

It's the middle day of a festival and they don't want to loadin before the crowd arrives that morning.  Honestly, I'd rather they didn't either since it means getting in earlier after a late night and opening up what could be a mud covered FOH cable ramp run.

Jason

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2014, 08:51:12 AM »

It's the middle day of a festival and they don't want to loadin before the crowd arrives that morning.  Honestly, I'd rather they didn't either since it means getting in earlier after a late night and opening up what could be a mud covered FOH cable ramp run.

Jason

Ah.  Well, I also don't do festivals without loading in before doors and line checking, so there's that.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Scott Helmke

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »

Who is responsible for verifying that the data cables meet the requested specs? Does anybody do an actual cable speed test?

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2014, 04:34:55 PM »

I imagine the plan is to fire things up and if it isn't working properly to find a way to run their snake.  Carrying one but not wanting to use it if you don't have to is different than not carrying one at all.  Maybe I'm naive, but I figure if you have redundant data lines and both work when you turn the system on then you should be able to make it through a festival set.  If you leave yourself enough time to say "excuse me" to the audience members sitting in the path of the cable snake while you quickly run yours, then you can't lose, right?

Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »

32 channels is too shy for monitor console for at least 2 reasons:

1 - A short channel count immediately flags you as a penny-pinching upstart.

2 - The dropped channels will cause a patching mistake when you least need it - crunch time.

Additionally, as convenient for you coax or fiber or Cat5e may be,  the artists, promoters, audiences do not give a rats tail how consoles are connected  - copper, cat, garden hose. Have 2 modern fullboat consoles at FOH and MON, preferably same brands that can share a single spare PSU if needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.