ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pink Noise  (Read 6146 times)

David Parker

Re: Pink Noise
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

I'm often old school/low tech on this...setting up an SM58 out in the room about 7-8 feet in the air pointing directly up.  I then go through the spectrum from LF to HF with a GEQ boosting each band in turn to identify any problem areas/room modes.  For precision (with time) I'll then use the GEQ results as a starting point to go through and set more precise, narroer PEQ filters.

This takes as much or less time as any other method and does not require any noise or even much "feedback" as one can hear the onset of any ringing at a very low level.  Lather, rinse and repeat to taste.
back before I got my first rta, long before digital processors were popular, I'd set up a '57 in the room and do the same thing, It was amazing how much I could tell about the room by raising each frequency until it started feeding back. After doing that, anything on a '57 or '58 sounded really good!

Bob Kidd

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »

I agree with others that pinking a room full of patrons is a REAL bad idea.  That said, it did  prove useful at a gig last Saturday.  We finished set up in a public-facility ballroom at noon for a 7:00PM show so I had plenty of time with only ~20 or so vendor etc folks around finishing their setup.  I'm sure they didn't really appreciate it but couldn't really complain too much either. 

I fed pink from StudioSix AudioTools on my phone through the mixer and used the built in mic on my iPad to view the FFT display.  Not ideal for sure but more than workable and did allow me to even out some problem frequencies.  I also walked around the venue some to check for variations which I found but nothing that ran against the basic EQ I did from the original front-and-center position.  The event went very well and the music and announcements (this was a high-visibility fund raiser) were clear everywhere so at least I don't think I did any harm <wink>!

That is what I'm going to do in this situation, use the FFT on my iPad and level out problem freq to get room tuned and a flat EQ for house. I do have tech coming up at some point with SMART.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.