ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 3700 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Insurance
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:47:59 PM »

So I need to get my insurance re-done. I've been having a hell of a time finding an agent who can manage insurance policies for the pro sound community. And answers the phone/responds to emails/responds to quotes.

I've done a search on here, found some leads, but the people I've seen on here and then have been trying to reach either don't answer, or blow me off. I know I'm not a major sized policy, but still---

who can point me in the direction of a good, competent insurance agent for business liability/gear coverage, who will answer their phone or respond to email in a timely manner? I am running into a time crunch here, and cannot deal with an agent who doesn't have time for customers. (Yes, I sound like a jerk, but I waste a day every time I reach out to someone new, waiting for a reply...)

And by time crunch, I sorta need to get something worked out by this weekend. I'm open to a full policy, or a one-off special event policy.

Preferably this is *your* agent, who knows you, and perhaps you could also make an introduction for me. Who out there is amazing?!?

Thanks in advance--

Ray Aberle
Kelcema Audio
www.kelcema.com
888.535.2362 (888.KELCEMA)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:05:57 PM »

So I need to get my insurance re-done... who can point me in the direction of a good, competent insurance agent for business liability/gear coverage, who will answer their phone or respond to email in a timely manner?

Ray,

For equipment insurance, I use MusicPro. You can complete the online list of equipment and get your policy in place quickly. The policy is underwritten by Hanover. The person who helped me was Laura Donelan, 516-773-8673.

For liability, I use Willis. I belong to the National Association of Mobile Entertainers(NAME) and one of the perks of the membership is that one can get liability insurance through Willis. Here's the url for the NAME site where they detail the liability insurance: http://www.nameentertainers.com/join/insurance/

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »

Ray,

For equipment insurance, I use MusicPro. You can complete the online list of equipment and get your policy in place quickly. The policy is underwritten by Hanover. The person who helped me was Laura Donelan, 516-773-8673.

For liability, I use Willis. I belong to the National Association of Mobile Entertainers(NAME) and one of the perks of the membership is that one can get liability insurance through Willis. Here's the url for the NAME site where they detail the liability insurance: http://www.nameentertainers.com/join/insurance/

Best regards,
Bob Charest

MusicPro was one I was trying already. I was working through their website-- and apparently when you request a quote, they put it on your "account" on there, but don't email you to let you know it's there. So I thought they were ignoring me. Haha.

Just frustrated and slightly panicked here-- but I think it's working now. I appreciate the name and number for Laura, as getting that direct connection is beneficial! :) (I don't want to just be a number in a computer somewhere...)

Thanks for the response--

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Phillip McVea

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:41:05 AM »

MusicPro was one I was trying already. I was working through their website-- and apparently when you request a quote, they put it on your "account" on there, but don't email you to let you know it's there. So I thought they were ignoring me. Haha.

Just frustrated and slightly panicked here-- but I think it's working now. I appreciate the name and number for Laura, as getting that direct connection is beneficial! :) (I don't want to just be a number in a computer somewhere...)

Thanks for the response--

Ray

If you don't mind me asking, could you (and anyone else) give a little more details about your coverage?
Like what you're classified under (as in strictly sound reinforcement, or sound AND lighting, or full on event production [incl. sound/light/staging/truss/etc.], event PROMOTER, etc. etc.) and whats the basic criteria to be under that classification?
Does this policy include legal services (if someone were to sue you, would you be able to pay lawyers with insurance/does the insurance company provide lawyers for you)?
What kind of payment terms are you on? Like is it yearly/monthly, the quote range ($1000-$2500/$2500-$5000/$5000-$10,000 etc)
What does the coverage include? If equipment gets stolen (not only at an event but also during transport/storage/any other situation), if someone (that's not authorized to use the equipment) else damages any of your gear, or if you rent it out to someone & it returns damaged, etc.
Could this same insurance company provide coverage for you as a PROMOTER (if it were ever necessary) to extend coverage to event venues, other gear you rent in, performers using your equipment, selling tickets to your events, any altercations/situations that could arise with the audience, etc.

Sorry for the extensive post, hopefully i'm not being too nosy, it's just something that i've been concerned with myself for a while, and might actually have to be looking to pursue this in the near future.

(useful) Info from anyone is welcome, thanks!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:43:25 AM by Phillip McVea »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:49:42 AM »

Phillip:

In the USA, all liability insurance policies I have ever seen or read have an insuring clause to "defend and indemnify you" up to the dollar limit of the policy. The "defend you" means to provide you with a legal defense (lawyer) if needed.  Some policies provide the lawyer and up to the full value of the policy to pay for damages (the "indemnify you" part); some reduce the indemnity portion by the legal expenses incurred in the case.  You should know which way your policy is written; the agent should be able to tell you.

There are all sorts of coverages available. The basic two are public liability (if somebody (not an employee) gets hurt or their stuff is damaged as a result of your negligence, and coverage for loss or damage to your property.  (Workers' compensation provides coverage for your employees who get hurt on the job; pretty cheap coverage, since having workers' comp generally protects you from costly tort (pain and suffering) damage suits by your employees.)

Insurance laws vary somewhat from state-to-state; so YMMV; consult your own legal advisor, etc. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »

If you don't mind me asking, could you (and anyone else) give a little more details about your coverage?
Like what you're classified under (as in strictly sound reinforcement, or sound AND lighting, or full on event production [incl. sound/light/staging/truss/etc.], event PROMOTER, etc. etc.) and whats the basic criteria to be under that classification?
Does this policy include legal services (if someone were to sue you, would you be able to pay lawyers with insurance/does the insurance company provide lawyers for you)?
What kind of payment terms are you on? Like is it yearly/monthly, the quote range ($1000-$2500/$2500-$5000/$5000-$10,000 etc)
What does the coverage include? If equipment gets stolen (not only at an event but also during transport/storage/any other situation), if someone (that's not authorized to use the equipment) else damages any of your gear, or if you rent it out to someone & it returns damaged, etc.
Could this same insurance company provide coverage for you as a PROMOTER (if it were ever necessary) to extend coverage to event venues, other gear you rent in, performers using your equipment, selling tickets to your events, any altercations/situations that could arise with the audience, etc.

Sorry for the extensive post, hopefully i'm not being too nosy, it's just something that i've been concerned with myself for a while, and might actually have to be looking to pursue this in the near future.

(useful) Info from anyone is welcome, thanks!

The scope of liability coverage is defined in your policy.  Our liability policy only covers us for work done as a provider of technical production services.  We wouldn't be covered if we promoted a show or sold used cars.  You need to have honest disclosure of all types of work you do when talking to your insurance agent.  Some companies don't care that we suspend tons of equipment over performers and the public, but others get very involved (and expensive) when rigging is involved.  We don't provide staging (we hire in).

Coverage for loss or damage to your equipment is generally called "inland-marine".  It covers you for loss or damage due to the actions of others and acts of nature, but it does not cover you for loss or damage to other persons or entities (that's what liability is for).

You need workers compensation insurance if you have anyone other than yourself or immediate family working for you (varies state to state).  "Independent contractors" must have their own worker's comp coverage as they will not be covered by your policy.  VOLUNTEERS are NOT COVERED by a worker's comp policy (and we put it in our contracts that events with volunteer crew must provide us with proof they're insured).  You will need proof of all coverage (certificates, binders) if you were to work for us as a subcontractor or expect to work with fairs, civic or local government agencies, etc.  You will be expected to add promoters, performers and possibly others as "additional named insureds" to your policies on a per-event basis.  If we hired you as a sub, you'd have to add us as a named insured as a condition of the contract.

Payment terms are between you and your insurer.  IIRC we pay every 6 months, but there's no uniform national standard.

You really need to talk to an entertainment insurance professional AND a lawyer who understands event production.  Give the folks at Take 1 Entertainment Insurance a call....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:57:10 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 10:48:44 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.