ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Film student clueless needs help asap.  (Read 3263 times)

Derek Jones

Film student clueless needs help asap.
« on: May 18, 2014, 01:53:34 AM »

Hi Guys an girls.

Wicked forum thanks for letting me join.

Alrighty Im a film student in Perth Australia. Our latest assignment is making a add to advertise campus show casing there million dollar bar/café/safe social environment for students. We have written an awesome script got our cameras sussed how ever our boom mic and awkwardly placed stick mics aren't cutting the mustard. We have no audio department on campus and the local music/audio school want to get paid for helping us and there quote was rather ridiculous. Right straight to the point we have two subjects male and female conversing then a group (4 subjects) come in to converse but as we have 30+ people in the venue and loud music my audio is crap.

What mics do I need? My research has got me stumped. Obviously need body worn mics(Lapel/lavalier) but no next to nothing about them. Do I get omnidirectional or unidirectional? CArdoid or super cardoid next is best brands/quality and what else I might need? Best brands help me please and yes I am first year. =)

Regards

Derek Jones :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 05:08:04 AM by Talldarknkiwi »

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Film student clueless needs help asap.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 02:03:21 AM »

Please read the rules you must use your real name or no one will help you and mods will lock your thread. Thanks
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Derek Jones

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:20:56 AM »

Please read the rules you must use your real name or no one will help you and mods will lock your thread. Thanks

Done thanks Robert

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 11:12:30 AM »

Hi Guys an girls.

Alrighty Im a film student in Perth Australia. Our latest assignment is making a add to advertise campus show casing there million dollar bar/café/safe social environment for students. We have written an awesome script got our cameras sussed how ever our boom mic and awkwardly placed stick mics aren't cutting the mustard. We have no audio department on campus and the local music/audio school want to get paid for helping us and there quote was rather ridiculous. Right straight to the point we have two subjects male and female conversing then a group (4 subjects) come in to converse but as we have 30+ people in the venue and loud music my audio is crap.

What mics do I need? My research has got me stumped. Obviously need body worn mics(Lapel/lavalier) but no next to nothing about them. Do I get omnidirectional or unidirectional? CArdoid or super cardoid next is best brands/quality and what else I might need? Best brands help me please and yes I am first year. =)

Regards

If you are making a 'film" YOU need to control the environment.  make the other people be quiet and turn the music off.

You can overdub the "background" sounds in later.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »

What's your budget?

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:14 PM »

If you are making a 'film" YOU need to control the environment.  make the other people be quiet and turn the music off.

You can overdub the "background" sounds in later.

Conversely you can film with no mics and overdub the speaking parts which you record in a sound studio. (Ever wonder how the fight scene on top of a moving railroad train is done with little or no wind/ambient noise?)

kel mcguire

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »

Hi Guys an girls.

Regards

A few thoughts.

Lav mics could probably be sufficient to fix your problems. Most are omni directional. You can hide them under clothes or clip on the outside of the clothing. They can be hard wired right to a recorder or camera or sent wirelessly with a wireless package, one per mic. If the subjects are moving or you cannot hide a cable well enough, then the subjects need to be on a radio device. The idea is to get the mics close to the subjects so the ambient noise in relation to the good stuff is a lot less. A talented boom mic OP on a pole can also be successful at grabbing distinct clean audio. Often times both ways so one can choose in post.
whether that can work depends on the camera angles and how close you can get the shotgun mic. Over the head of the subjects facing down or from underneath works well but past a few feet the ambient noise level will creep up again. Sometimes you can hide mics in the set close to the subjects too. Is the audio getting recorded right to cameras or on a separate recorder?

Good mic choices:

DPA 4060 & 4061, expensive but nice.
Sanken COS 11, expensive but nice.
Audio Technica 831, inexpensive, sounds good

I'd say the Rode, which is Australian, is a very nice choice for quality vs price. Look at the PinMic and Rode Lavalier under $300us. Good sound.

Good wireless:

Sennheiser ENG kit G3

Good boom mics:
Rode NTG-3
Sennheiser me66 or 416

hope this helps

Richard Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »

Looping is a good experience for budding actors.

Film it and fill in the audio holes in post production. It will likely work better for your finished product in the end.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 08:55:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.