ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DXR15 vs FBT Promaxx 14a?  (Read 10314 times)

Richard Penrose

Yamaha DXR15 vs FBT Promaxx 14a?
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:42:18 AM »

Hi,

Has anyone had the opportunity to ear both of these speakers?

What are your thoughts on regards to audio quality and full range depth?

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
Re: Yamaha DXR15 vs FBT Promaxx 14a?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:38:32 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone had the opportunity to ear both of these speakers?

What are your thoughts on regards to audio quality and full range depth?
Here's an in depth review done on the Promaxx's:  http://issuu.com/fbtelettronica/docs/fbt_promaxx_comparison_test

A guy on another forum owned and raved about them until he heard an RCF HD series, which he felt sounded better.  He ended up selling a pair of mint (<30day old) Promaxx 14a's on Ebay for only $1400 w/factory covers.  I've been reading that the Promaxx's are now discontinued.
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:39:57 PM »

Here's an in depth review done on the Promaxx's:  http://issuu.com/fbtelettronica/docs/fbt_promaxx_comparison_test

A guy on another forum owned and raved about them until he heard an RCF HD series, which he felt sounded better.  He ended up selling a pair of mint (<30day old) Promaxx 14a's on Ebay for only $1400 w/factory covers.  I've been reading that the Promaxx's are now discontinued.

Thanks. I've read that review. Where did you read that the Promaxx's are being discontinued?

Richard Penrose

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:04:14 PM »

Unfortunately I have to rule out RCF speakers as they don't have built in crossovers that would make them compatible with my EV ELX118p subs.

I'd really love something like the new RCF ART 745a's but I'd have to get different subs and this would be approaching three time my budget!!!

I'm not really too worried about how the FBT Promaxx14a's compare to the RCF speakers. I'm happy with the audio quality of my DXR15's and have had engineers who have run FOH for some of the biggest UK festivals comment on how good the sound is that I'm getting with the DXR's! If the FBT's at least match the output, clarity and have equally as much low frequency output then I'd be happy. I don't want to sacrifice any of these features!

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »

Thanks. I've read that review. Where did you read that the Promaxx's are being discontinued?
Several people who went looking to purchase them in the USA.  Here's an example: http://www.spectrumaudio.com/fbt-promaxx-14a.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:59:39 PM by Reggie Kendrick »
Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

cliff truesdell

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:39:07 AM »

You could still have issues with the crossover frequencies and filter slopes with the FBTs and your subs. Just a thought.

I would think it would be more of a side step. Might be better to upgrade your subs and keep the DXR's.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:42:14 AM by cliff truesdell »

Joe Fustolo

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 04:20:23 PM »

Hello Richard and all,
I can honestly say that the ProMaxX are not going to be discontinued. FBT is still making this product with no inkling of EOL.  The main perception is that FBT hasn't had much of a US presence as of lately but I can honestly say that this is changing after June 1st... I am part of a new company called ISI - Italian Speaker Imports that will be the new exclusive distributors for the US market. A lot more to follow within the next month.
Joe Fustolo
Eastern Regional Sales Manager
Renkus Heinz

cliff truesdell

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 03:52:56 AM »

Hello Richard and all,
I can honestly say that the ProMaxX are not going to be discontinued. FBT is still making this product with no inkling of EOL.  The main perception is that FBT hasn't had much of a US presence as of lately but I can honestly say that this is changing after June 1st... I am part of a new company called ISI - Italian Speaker Imports that will be the new exclusive distributors for the US market. A lot more to follow within the next month.

Hopefully that will also include a service center too, I've had a downed maxx4a for well over a year.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 05:13:43 AM »

I would think it would be more of a side step. Might be better to upgrade your subs and keep the DXR's.

I'm not as worried about the PRomaxx 14a's being an upgrade. The main issue is weight! If the Promaxx14a's can at least match the DXR15's in terms of output, bass response and clarity that would be ok. Any improvements would be a welcome bonus!

cliff truesdell

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »

I'm not as worried about the PRomaxx 14a's being an upgrade. The main issue is weight! If the Promaxx14a's can at least match the DXR15's in terms of output, bass response and clarity that would be ok. Any improvements would be a welcome bonus!

Gotcha there! In my world weight or lack of, is tops! LOL

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.