ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers on a stick with A/C loop through  (Read 13269 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Powered Speakers on a stick with A/C loop through
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 09:58:49 AM »

It varies by venue. Worst case scenario= 300 feet across the front
I don't think daisy-chaining power at the speaker is the right approach.  I would recommend building a string of these: http://www.oawindsor.com/power_con.htm then running a normal power cord from the stringer box up to the speaker.

300' is pretty far to run - it would be better to put a generator at each end so the furthest speaker is 150'.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 10:01:59 AM »

I would think that if you want to daisy chain the a/c from speaker to speaker over long distances and you want to drive them to loud volumes you will run out of amperage pretty quickly. I had a similar type application and we rented several little Honda 2000 inverter generators and put one at each speaker and it worked great. Each Honda puts out about 13 amps I think and then all we had to worry about was running signal cable.

What's a 'pyro musical' that takes place in a field?
Most powered speakers draw a max of 5A or so, and that's running full out. 2 powered speakers per EU2000 will be no problem, and likely as many as 4 would be fine if you're not running the speakers into clipping.

It's a good idea to use 1:1 isolation transformers on the signal lines between power sources.  I would suggest something like this http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-effects-and-dis/specialty-interface-solutions/iso-1.

James A. Griffin

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »

300' is pretty far to run - it would be better to put a generator at each end so the furthest speaker is 150'.

If you're using 2 generators, why not put them 75' from each end.  Then your max cable run is 75'
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »

If you're using 2 generators, why not put them 75' from each end.  Then your max cable run is 75'
If that's an option for venue logistics, absolutely.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »

Skip the loop through, just build extension cords with a duplex box on the end.  It'll work a lot better, be more flexible, and you can more easily address the voltage drop issue by using higher gauge cable.  Make a 50' cable (or whatever length makes you happy) using 12ga soow - or 10ga if you want to protect against voltage drop.  Put a duplex box on the end of it and then plug the speaker into one outlet and the next cord into the other.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »

Skip the loop through, just build extension cords with a duplex box on the end.  It'll work a lot better, be more flexible, and you can more easily address the voltage drop issue by using higher gauge cable.  Make a 50' cable (or whatever length makes you happy) using 12ga soow - or 10ga if you want to protect against voltage drop.  Put a duplex box on the end of it and then plug the speaker into one outlet and the next cord into the other.

This makes the most sense to me.

Thomas Le

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 01:24:09 PM »

Turbosound has the iQ series with the PowerCon loop, if that's worth looking...

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 02:35:09 PM »

The amps used in Danley's self powered stuff have loop throughs. You could run a few in the chain, and even more if you switch to 240V
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »

I'm looking for a pair(maybe up to 4) powered boxes that I can put on sticks that I will mainly be using for pyro musicals. I was looking at the QSC KLA12 and I really like the a/c loop through feature as I will be deploying the speakers out in fields and at far distances. If I do start adding boxes either now or down the road I could see a/c becoming an issue. I'm not sure if the "line array" KLA series is exactly what I need and think I may better served by a trap type box. Does anyone know of trap type powered speakers that would mount on sticks that feature an a/c loop through function?

Thanks,
G

Typically, the AC loop-through is used for something like a pair of wedges.

That being said, amps and speakers draw surprisingly little current from the grid.  The duty cycle of musical content is ridiculously forgiving compared to that of AC sine wave power.

A good rule of thumb is to take the continuous power rating of the amp in question and divide that number by four.  This will give a rough approximation of what the amp will draw from the grid at full tilt.  In other words, a 1000w amp will only draw a little over 2 amps in the US and a little over 1 in Europe at full power!

James A. Griffin

Powered Speakers on a stick with A/C loop through
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »

It might be a bit bass ackward to put the power scheme too high up on the selection criteria list.   Spend your energy determining which box best meets your need for power, sound quality, scalability, deployment method, and price. Buy the speaker that best balances those requirements and build whatever cables fit it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

ProSoundWeb Community

Powered Speakers on a stick with A/C loop through
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 25 queries.