ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers on a stick with A/C loop through  (Read 13263 times)

Gary Miller

Powered Speakers on a stick with A/C loop through
« on: May 15, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »

I'm looking for a pair(maybe up to 4) powered boxes that I can put on sticks that I will mainly be using for pyro musicals. I was looking at the QSC KLA12 and I really like the a/c loop through feature as I will be deploying the speakers out in fields and at far distances. If I do start adding boxes either now or down the road I could see a/c becoming an issue. I'm not sure if the "line array" KLA series is exactly what I need and think I may better served by a trap type box. Does anyone know of trap type powered speakers that would mount on sticks that feature an a/c loop through function?

Thanks,
G

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
Re: Powered Speakers on a stick with A/C loop through
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »

Does anyone know of trap type powered speakers that would mount on sticks that feature an a/c loop through function?

Welcome to the forums.  What's your budget?  A quick internet search turned up Fulcrum Acoustic's FA12ac and EV's ZXA5.  I think some of the RCF self-powered boxes have Powercon in/thru.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »

I don't think you will find many boxes that will fit more than 1 on a speaker pole, besides these fixed angle arrays like VRX and KLA.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »

I would think that if you want to daisy chain the a/c from speaker to speaker over long distances and you want to drive them to loud volumes you will run out of amperage pretty quickly. I had a similar type application and we rented several little Honda 2000 inverter generators and put one at each speaker and it worked great. Each Honda puts out about 13 amps I think and then all we had to worry about was running signal cable.

What's a 'pyro musical' that takes place in a field?
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Gary Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »

Welcome to the forums.
Thanks Kirby!
What's your budget?
I'm not too concerned about budget. I'm not looking to spend $10000 or anything but I will pay for the right gear
I don't think you will find many boxes that will fit more than 1 on a speaker pole, besides these fixed angle arrays like VRX and KLA.
I agree. I'm not necessarily looking to stack them on one pole but rather put them on several different poles positioned at different "stations" across the audience front. It seems that the ability to chain the a/c from cabinet to cabinet would be a super convenient feature for a configuration such as this
I would think that if you want to daisy chain the a/c from speaker to speaker over long distances and you want to drive them to loud volumes you will run out of amperage pretty quickly.
I'm concerned about this as well. I think I will employ your generator solution if I get to where I need more than four cabinets across the front
What's a 'pyro musical' that takes place in a field?
I will primarily being using them at fireworks festivals that take place out in fields or outdoor clearing areas. The festivals usually can have up to 10 different shows that run about 7 to 10 minutes each and are choreographed or scripted to music. We have done shows in outdoor amphitheaters and fair grounds with grand stands as well. Check out one of our latest shows here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSHJhhj5s8M We did 4 different shows on this particular night

Thanks for input guys! Much appreciated. Now I have some direction on some different cabinets to look at

James A. Griffin

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:40 PM »

....I will be deploying the speakers out in fields and at far distances. If I do start adding boxes either now or down the road I could see a/c becoming an issue..........

What distances are you talking about?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »

If you go with a daisy chained speaker-to-speaker AC approach, be sure the cables will be heavy enough to minimize the voltage drop over the distances you're contemplating (http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm).  Some SOOW 12/3 may be a tight squeeze inside Powercon connectors, and you may want SOOW since it's outdoors.

Gary Miller

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25:29 PM »

It varies by venue. Worst case scenario= 300 feet across the front

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »

If you go with a daisy chained speaker-to-speaker AC approach, be sure the cables will be heavy enough to minimize the voltage drop over the distances you're contemplating (http://www.nooutage.com/vdrop.htm).  Some SOOW 12/3 may be a tight squeeze inside Powercon connectors, and you may want SOOW since it's outdoors.

Definitely watch out for that. The diameter of the PowerCon strain relief chuck is 15 mm if I recall correctly, and many SOOW cables are bigger than that. Even some SJ gets close.

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:34 AM »

I would put more concern on the actual performance of the speakers. 12g extension cords are pretty easy to come by (or roll your own), and looping thru the cabinets is really only convenient if you are using them more in close proximity. Of course, if you can find something that meets your performance needs AND has the loop-thru feature, so much the better.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:51:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.