ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Open FCC Meeting 5/15/2014 - Wireless Mics  (Read 8763 times)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Open FCC Meeting 5/15/2014 - Wireless Mics
« on: May 15, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »

Today the FCC webcasted their open meeting and discussed matters of great importance to everyone working with wireless microphones in the USA.  You can see a recorded video of the meeting here: http://www.c-span.org/video/?319385-3/broadcast-tv-spectrum-auction and the microphone discussion starts at 1:01:00.

Attached are screen shots from the meeting, regarding wireless microphones and the upcoming spectrum auctions.

Here are some key points:

Pro audio users like sound companies and venues, who regularly use more than 50 channels of wireless mics, will be eligible for BAS-LP licenses.

Pro audio can use the currently allowed spectrum during the 39 month transition that will follow the auction in 2015.

The auction will consist of the 600MHz-up band.

Each city will have one 6MHz wide unlicensed microphone "safe haven" channel, but this will be shared with TVBD white space data devices. It will be a different channel in every city, much like today's two mic channels.

TV channel 37 will also open to unlicensed use, but is additionally shared with radio astronomy, TVBD data, and medical telemetry devices.

The reassigned 600MHz band will contain an undetermined number of 4MHz-wide guard bands, and an 11MHz-wide "duplex gap" guard band between uplink and downlink frequency blocks.  This is expected to add up to 20 to 34 MHz of usable bandwidth that will be allowed for wireless mic use.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:18:03 PM by Jason Glass »

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Re: Open FCC Meeting 5/15/2014 - Wireless Mics
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 02:46:45 PM »

Today the FCC webcasted their open meeting...

Thanks for posting this Jason. The 39 month transition period and the detail regarding guide bands is particularly helpful - and welcome!

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 03:11:50 PM »

Tagged for later viewing on a high bandwidth City internet connection.

But 39 months is encouraging. That's actually a usable time frame to get funding and replacement gear speced and in place.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 04:49:49 PM »

Thanks for posting the summary, Jason.

I want everyone to realize the major efforts put forth particularly by Shure and Sennheiser, but also by Audio Technica and Lectrosonics to bring about the positive aspects of what we see here. It was nice to be a part of this coordinated industry lobbying on behalf of the users. A series of meetings in DC is what it took, along with dozens of conference calls and background work. The NAB, the DTV Audio Group, ESPN, NBC, Disney, CP Communications and others were also heavily involved.

The continued loss of spectrum will shape our industry, no doubt. But without efforts like what I've described above, things would be looking much worse.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »

I want everyone to realize the major efforts put forth particularly by Shure and Sennheiser, but also by Audio Technica and Lectrosonics to bring about the positive aspects of what we see here. It was nice to be a part of this coordinated industry lobbying on behalf of the users. A series of meetings in DC is what it took, along with dozens of conference calls and background work. The NAB, the DTV Audio Group, ESPN, NBC, Disney, CP Communications and others were also heavily involved.

The continued loss of spectrum will shape our industry, no doubt. But without efforts like what I've described above, things would be looking much worse.

Hi Karl,

Yes!  Hearty thanks to you and the rest for a job well done.  We should all also tip our hat to this forum's good friend, Henry Cohen.  He was collecting data to support our cause for a long time and it appears that you all were able to use it very effectively to convince the commission of our industry's importance in their band planning.

George Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 04:22:30 AM »

Can anyone comment for those of us that aren't wireless savvy?

Are the open bands reserved for unlicensed usage enough for small operators to squeeze a few channels of wireless into?  I work with a band that has a rack of 5 Shure PSM 900 in the 600mhz range and they have no budget to replace it as most of it is still being paid off.  Hoping we'll be able to squeeze it in to the white spaces  as we're out on tours.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »

Can anyone comment for those of us that aren't wireless savvy?

Are the open bands reserved for unlicensed usage enough for small operators to squeeze a few channels of wireless into?  I work with a band that has a rack of 5 Shure PSM 900 in the 600mhz range and they have no budget to replace it as most of it is still being paid off.  Hoping we'll be able to squeeze it in to the white spaces  as we're out on tours.

The short answer is "yes".

If you read Jason's comments here:

Pro audio can use the currently allowed spectrum during the 39 month transition that will follow the auction in 2015.

The auction will consist of the 600MHz-up band.

Each city will have one 6MHz wide unlicensed microphone "safe haven" channel, but this will be shared with TVBD white space data devices. It will be a different channel in every city, much like today's two mic channels.

TV channel 37 will also open to unlicensed use, but is additionally shared with radio astronomy, TVBD data, and medical telemetry devices.

The reassigned 600MHz band will contain an undetermined number of 4MHz-wide guard bands, and an 11MHz-wide "duplex gap" guard band between uplink and downlink frequency blocks.  This is expected to add up to 20 to 34 MHz of usable bandwidth that will be allowed for wireless mic use.

There will be small blocks in the "guard band" and "duplex gap" spaces in the 600 MHz range to squeeze in RF mics.  Where these are will likely vary by city, but there will be small spaces - the 600 MHz band isn't completely dead.  That, and the fact that there is a 39-month grace period after the auction puts us into 2018 or 2019 - by that point, your equipment may be up for replacement/renewal anyway.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 08:46:04 AM »

Agreed - thanks guys.  I was expecting much worse.

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:47:15 AM »

Hi Karl,

Yes!  Hearty thanks to you and the rest for a job well done.  We should all also tip our hat to this forum's good friend, Henry Cohen.  He was collecting data to support our cause for a long time and it appears that you all were able to use it very effectively to convince the commission of our industry's importance in their band planning.

Agreed - Henry's role was pivotal!
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »

Is there a Report and Order that actually outlines these rules and changes? I looked on thr FCC website and the closest that I found was a press release.

Also, Jason, where did you get the slides in your OP? I didnt watch the whole video so maybe I messed them?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:05:43 AM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 26 queries.