ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking about Danley subwoofers - Powered/Passive/model?  (Read 3657 times)

David Hoover

Thinking about Danley subwoofers - Powered/Passive/model?
« on: May 12, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »

I just revamped my portable sound system.  I now have two Danley SM80 speakers with a bridged XTI1002 (1000W rms @8 ohms) to each.  Now I have been thinking about subwoofers.

I have 4 very large Titan 39 subwoofers at 27" wide with a Lab 12 woofer in each.  They actually sound really good and very clean.  But, see I started with them before I knew anything about Danley and now I am thinking of selling my DR250 speakers along with the four subwoofers as a package deal. One TH118 has the same amount of peak output at 50Hz (143dB) as my four huge V-coupled subs and would drop lower.  To get more SPL than what I have with the subs I have now I need an astronomical amount of subs.

What I would like advice on is the amplification and subwoofer.  I have two XTI1002's and two XTI2002's right now.  I could either sell the XTI1002's with the whole package system and use the XTI2002's for the SM80's (an XTI 2002 per SM80 at 1600W @8ohms) and buy a powered sub or subs OR get a sub or subs that will work well with the XTI2002's.  They are 2000W RMS bridged at 4 ohms each.  I would purchase a DSP if I got powered subs (a nice bonus would be wireless connectivity).  I will continue using the internal DSP on the XTI amps if I got passive subs.

My interest is mostly in sound quality, but at the same time I can't go backwards in output.  I have 143dB peak @50Hz capability on subs right now and it will due.  I probably wouldn't be able to afford premium amplifiers, but a powered TH118 and a DSLP to start with wouldn't be out of the question.  I thought about two TH115's with those XTI2002's, but I wouldn't be moving up in amp quality.  I am also thinking that it may be better to start with one more powerful sub so that I need less subs for my future output needs.  A future goal would be something in the range of 4 TH118's, 6 TH115's, or other subs all clustered together.  That is what I eventually would like to be working toward.

Pack space or weight of the sub is no issue.  Sorry for being wordy.  I am just trying to lay out the whole picture.  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:53:26 PM by David Hoover »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Thinking about Danley subwoofers - Powered/Passive/model?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:57:08 AM »

With the idea of upgrades and the future I would consider this.

Use the 2002 amps for the SM80-bridged into each cabinet.

For the money the TH118 offers a bit more than the TH115.  Yes it is more expensive-but a single TH118 is roughly equal to 2 TH115s and goes lower in freq-is smaller-weighs less (than a pair of TH115s) and is less expensive than 2 TH115s.

As a rough idea- I like to use at least 2 Th118 for each SM80.  3 per for heavy acts.

You can mix the TH115 and TH118-because the phase response is the same-but if just starting out-the TH118 would give you more output per dollar.

But you have to use some real amps.  If you want to stick with the XTis-then get whatever the biggest one they have is ( I think the 6002- but not sure).

When looking at power also consider this-both the TH115 and Th118 are available in 4 or 8 ohms.  If you don't specify on the order-then 4 ohms is the standard version.

So if you got a 6002 and the Th118 with 8 ohm woofers you could bridge the amp into 2 cabinets and power them pretty decent.

But for money sakes-you might want to get the 4 ohm versions-and then you can run 4 cabinets off of the single 6002 amp.  you won't have as much power available to each speaker-but the added sensitivity of the extra cabinets would more than make up for the little bit of extra power you would get run 8 ohms and bridged.

Of course the best way would be to use a single amp for a pair of 8 ohm TH118s.

Just something to think about.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Hoover

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »

With the idea of upgrades and the future I would consider this.

Use the 2002 amps for the SM80-bridged into each cabinet.

For the money the TH118 offers a bit more than the TH115.  Yes it is more expensive-but a single TH118 is roughly equal to 2 TH115s and goes lower in freq-is smaller-weighs less (than a pair of TH115s) and is less expensive than 2 TH115s.

As a rough idea- I like to use at least 2 Th118 for each SM80.  3 per for heavy acts.

You can mix the TH115 and TH118-because the phase response is the same-but if just starting out-the TH118 would give you more output per dollar.

But you have to use some real amps.  If you want to stick with the XTis-then get whatever the biggest one they have is ( I think the 6002- but not sure).

When looking at power also consider this-both the TH115 and Th118 are available in 4 or 8 ohms.  If you don't specify on the order-then 4 ohms is the standard version.

So if you got a 6002 and the Th118 with 8 ohm woofers you could bridge the amp into 2 cabinets and power them pretty decent.

But for money sakes-you might want to get the 4 ohm versions-and then you can run 4 cabinets off of the single 6002 amp.  you won't have as much power available to each speaker-but the added sensitivity of the extra cabinets would more than make up for the little bit of extra power you would get run 8 ohms and bridged.

Of course the best way would be to use a single amp for a pair of 8 ohm TH118s.

Just something to think about.

Good point. I am not glued to XTI amps either. For the price per performance they are hard to beat though.  I will just barely be able to use two 20 amp circuits still as well with that setup you mentioned and a third for monitoring. Im doing that now anyway.  Thanks!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.