ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on XTi 4002 clip limiting  (Read 4688 times)

Deric Craig

• NE Ohio
Question on XTi 4002 clip limiting
« on: June 01, 2014, 09:46:50 PM »

Greetings all

I just received a new Crown XTi 4002.

After reading through the manual twice....and a lot of on-line searching....plus turning the amp on to try out the settings - I am still not sure on clip elimination.
I find the manual is not very specific in some areas. I may have missed it, but I do not see where it states anything about clip elimination.

I do not need to reduce the amp power by any amount below zero dBfs.
My top boxes are 700 watt continuous and should be fine with the capability of 1200 watts per channel into each of the 4 ohm top box loads (for reasonable headroom and dynamic clarity).

Could someone tell me, if this amp is not set for reduction on power (leaving it at 0 dBfs reduction) - does this amp detect clipping - and - limit clipping like during any periodic red light indication during a show ???

What I want is full available power each channel - and upon threshold of amp clipping - that the amp will recognize it and not actually "clip" but will show red light blinks that means the amp is hitting full output.

I did read some other forum websites with entries that said when the XTi clips - it sounds like breaking glass. Not sure what that person was doing, but...

My QSC PLX 3402 does limit clipping, it is not adjustable.
The PLX can have clip limiter disabled - or - turned on via dipswitch.
I use the PLX with the clip limiter "on" always.
The PLX will now be moved to Sub enclosures duty. And I know that is not the best amp for subs but it is what I have currently.

If I have to do nothing for "full power" use and have clip limiting (NOT power reduction setting) - then I am good to go.

Thanks for any info.

Avi Goldberg

Re: Question on XTi 4002 clip limiting
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:14:40 AM »

Greetings all

I just received a new Crown XTi 4002.

After reading through the manual twice....and a lot of on-line searching....plus turning the amp on to try out the settings - I am still not sure on clip elimination.
I find the manual is not very specific in some areas. I may have missed it, but I do not see where it states anything about clip elimination.

I do not need to reduce the amp power by any amount below zero dBfs.
My top boxes are 700 watt continuous and should be fine with the capability of 1200 watts per channel into each of the 4 ohm top box loads (for reasonable headroom and dynamic clarity).

Could someone tell me, if this amp is not set for reduction on power (leaving it at 0 dBfs reduction) - does this amp detect clipping - and - limit clipping like during any periodic red light indication during a show ???

What I want is full available power each channel - and upon threshold of amp clipping - that the amp will recognize it and not actually "clip" but will show red light blinks that means the amp is hitting full output.

I did read some other forum websites with entries that said when the XTi clips - it sounds like breaking glass. Not sure what that person was doing, but...

My QSC PLX 3402 does limit clipping, it is not adjustable.
The PLX can have clip limiter disabled - or - turned on via dipswitch.
I use the PLX with the clip limiter "on" always.
The PLX will now be moved to Sub enclosures duty. And I know that is not the best amp for subs but it is what I have currently.

If I have to do nothing for "full power" use and have clip limiting (NOT power reduction setting) - then I am good to go.

Thanks for any info.
Dear Craig,
The XTi2 has an actual limiter, not just for clipping. And yes, if you leave it at 0dB, with default attack and release times, it will function as a clip limiter.

The shattered glass phenomena that you mentioned was on the first gen XTi's, it was the sound used to describe what it sounded like when the limiter was engaging, not clipping. Since then, among other things, Crown has reworked the limiter to avoid such behavior and be much more configurable.

I know that detailed limiter specifics is left out of the manual, for the life of me I don't know why so if you have additional questions just shoot.

What is it you want to do with the limiter? Plain clip protection? Speaker protection? Something else?

Using this amp on your speakers you could still cause damage or push them into power compression, there's no substitute for your ears so keep them open to any distortion going on.
Avi
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 10:40:55 AM by Avi Goldberg »
Crown Audio Forum Admin

crownaudio at hotmail dot com

Deric Craig

• NE Ohio
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »

Dear Craig,
The XTi2 has an actual limiter, not just for clipping. And yes, if you leave it at 0dB, with default attack and release times, it will function as a clip limiter.

The shattered glass phenomena that you mentioned was on the first gen XTi's, it was the sound used to describe what it sounded like when the limiter was engaging, not clipping. Since then, among other things, Crown has reworked the limiter to avoid such behavior and be much more configurable.

I know that detailed limiter specifics is left out of the manual, for the life of me I don't know why so if you have additional questions just shoot.

What is it you want to do with the limiter? Plain clip protection? Speaker protection? Something else?

Using this amp on your speakers you could still cause damage or push them into power compression, there's no substitute for your ears so keep them open to any distortion going on.
Avi

Thank you Avi

I was reasonably certain that the XTi 4002 had clip limiting besides the adjustable negative dBfs settings. I too, wish the factory manual had a bit more detail.

It is nice to know that Crown reworked the XTi design to get rid of the nasty artifacts others observed on the original XTi limiting. Yes, I am seeking clip protection at the zero dBfs default. I am not looking to run my top boxes right on the edge, but have the headroom on the rig considering the continuous power rating on the tops. Previously these two boxes were on a PLX 3402 with very similar output wattage capability, and clip limiter engaged.

The tops are the 3000 series Soundbridge dual 15, which I believe that brand is not highly regarded on PSW, but they have always sounded pretty good and held up fine over the years.

I do not use any compression in the drive to the amps, and either myself or another experienced FOH operator is running the rig. My modest system is aux fed subs with a crossover setting around 90 Hz.

I agree anyone operating the rig needs to be attentive to distortion and be aware of driver heating power compression issues. My start in performing on stage as a guitarist and also a lot of FOH for a local production provider was in 1980, so at least I do have a background in being careful with a rig, plus decades of electrical and electronic work besides my music pursuits.

I much appreciate your information. The PSW forums has a wealth of experienced individuals contributing worthy advice and information.

Best regards
Deric

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.