ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New to live sound. Need help setting up.  (Read 16996 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
New to live sound. Need help setting up.
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »

Thank you for your time.  I am new to live sound.  I’m a musician so I understand all the terminology, but I don’t know the order that everything goes in and I don’t know even where to plug things in at.  I have a bunch of equipment that I need to put together for my worship band and I have no idea how to hook it all up.  Here’s a list of what I have.
Mains:        2 Peavey SP4’s
Sub:      1 Peavy SP118
Monitors:     2 Peavy PV112 Monitors
      1 Peavy SP115 Monitor

Mixer:      Behringer Eurodesk SL2442FX-Pro

Power Amps:    1 Peavy PV900
      1 Peavy PV1500
      2 Peavy PV2600

Snake:      I’m not sure what brand, but it’s 100’ snake.

Other:      DBX 266XL Compressor (I don’t know how to use this so If I don’t need it, just tell me)
      Behringer EQ (also don’t know how to use this)
      Peavy Crossover (I think it’s a three way but not sure)
      DBX AFS 244 Feedback suppressor

Band:      2 Vocals
      Electric Guitar
      Acoustic Guitar
      Bass Guitar
      Keyboard
      Drums
      We also play CD’s for the drama team for their performances (I have a cd player)

I have no idea what order these items go in.  I don’t know what part of the board to plug them into.  And the snake really confuses me.  Is there someone out there that can assist me with detailed instructions?  I would be willing to pay for your time.  I know it can’t be that difficult, but I just don’t have any experience with this so I’m lost right now. I can also give you my phone number if that would be easier.  Thank you very much.

Here's a link to the owner's manual of my mixer:

http://www.behringer.com/assets/sl2442fx-pro_P0244_M_en.pdf

Thank you,

Isaac
[email protected]

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: New to live sound. Need help setting up.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »

Thank you for your time.  I am new to live sound.  I’m a musician so I understand all the terminology, but I don’t know the order that everything goes in and I don’t know even where to plug things in at.  I have a bunch of equipment that I need to put together for my worship band and I have no idea how to hook it all up.  Here’s a list of what I have.
*snip*
Thank you,

Isaac
[email protected]
This will get moved to the LAB Lounge. The "Classic LAB" is for the "big boys," touring people, major regional providers, etc. I feel nervous posting in here, and I do some larger festivals myself. But then every once in awhile I say something stupid. Haha.

Kudos for posting your location. Hopefully someone is near enough to Kentucky that they can give you some input and advice in person, as the hands-on experience will be best. Suffice to say...

* Mics (do you have them? Not on your list...) to mixer to amplifiers to speakers. Crossover: if it's 3way mono/2 way stereo, use it as 2way. You don't have the speakers to go three way/bi amped.
* Mixer aux outs to monitors. Then you send bits of whatever channels to whatever monitor mixes you want
* Compressor for vocal channels, if needed. This will be a "learn by playing with it" thing
* EQ patched into monitors, whether aux-insert or board to EQ to monitor amp/powered speaker.
* Snake allows you to be "front of house" in a good mix position, brings your mic channels to the board, and then gets the drive (returns, your mains and monitors) back to the stage area.
* CD player patch either to tape return or into channels. If you need the CD music in the monitors, which is nice for times when you have a performance like the "Drama team" then you will probably have them into a channel/channels so that they can be routed to the monitors. Many consoles won't let the tape input be patched to an aux send.

You know, in the manual you linked to, there is a "Wiring Examples" area... have you read through that?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Doug.Jane

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »

I have no idea what order these items go in.  I don’t know what part of the board to plug them into.  And the snake really confuses me.  Is there someone out there that can assist me with detailed instructions?  I would be willing to pay for your time.  I know it can’t be that difficult, but I just don’t have any experience with this so I’m lost right now. I can also give you my phone number if that would be easier.  Thank you very much.

Actually, it is that difficult if you want to do it properly. Its just as difficult as learning to play an instrument properly. You have quite a list of gear there, if you set it up wrong then you could damage some of that gear.

If you wish to do this properly, you should either get serious tuition, or maybe you could keep playing and learning your instrument, and get someone else who is more qualified to operate the gear.

I get the impression that you have been delegated by the band in the interests of saving money to do the job! The first time you blow up your speakers you will discover that doing it the cheap way is not necessarily the best way.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »

Actually, it is that difficult if you want to do it properly. Its just as difficult as learning to play an instrument properly. You have quite a list of gear there, if you set it up wrong then you could damage some of that gear.

If you wish to do this properly, you should either get serious tuition, or maybe you could keep playing and learning your instrument, and get someone else who is more qualified to operate the gear.

I get the impression that you have been delegated by the band in the interests of saving money to do the job! The first time you blow up your speakers you will discover that doing it the cheap way is not necessarily the best way.

Doug it sounds like the OP is doing the right thing. He is asking for help, let's not beat him up too much for not knowing what he doesn't know.

Making noise out of a sound system isn't terribly difficult, making good noise takes skill and practice, something that only comes with time and experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 06:55:52 PM »

Its just as difficult as learning to play an instrument properly.

I'll strongly disagree with that.  As someone who has been reasonably successful learning to mix and failed miserably trying to learn to play, mixing is a skill that can be learned fairly quickly with zero natural talent required (other than a decent ear - if you don't have that, you can't do either). If you're a bit tech-savvy to start, it's an even shorter learning process.

That said, I did have an experienced person come to my house and help set up/test/tune the entire rig before I went out on my first gig.

It's a huge help to have a person who knows the stuff there to walk you thru things rather than just collecting info from books and the web and trying to do it all yourself.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:10:31 PM »

1 Peavy SP115 Monitor

1 Peavy PV1500
      2 Peavy PV2600

Other:      DBX 266XL Compressor (I don’t know how to use this so If I don’t need it, just tell me)

Electric Guitar
      Acoustic Guitar
      Bass Guitar
      Keyboard
      Drums
      We also play CD’s for the drama team for their performances (I have a cd player)

Thank you,

Isaac
[email protected]

Looks like you have a lot stuff...

Highly recommended you try to find someone local to you that can come out and help you set it up.  It's a lot easier to see it done!  And, you can ask questions as the system is being put together.

Try posting your city location; perhaps someone on the forum is near you and can give you assistance.

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »

Highly recommended you try to find someone local to you that can come out and help you set it up.  It's a lot easier to see it done!  And, you can ask questions as the system is being put together.

Try posting your city location; perhaps someone on the forum is near you and can give you assistance.

Hi Isaac -- PM me if you like, I may be able to help on site. Depends on how far south of Louisville you are,  Central KY can be pretty wide. Always glad to help via e-mail.   8)

Is this for an install, or do you have to be portable? 

Are you going to have to mix from the stage, or is someone going to handle the mix for you?

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:49:52 PM »

Is all this gear yours?  Or is it the church's and you've been granted custody?  At the risk of incurring the scorn of gear snobs around here, most of what you have is perfectly useable for a praise band, at least at first.  As time goes on you'll learn what pieces can stay and which ones have to go.  For example: unless you're trying to cover a massive crowd, you've probably got more amps than you need for the speakers you have, and you may not even need that lone sub since the SP-4s are 2x15s.  Likewise, unless you have issues with vocals you probably don't need to start off with the dbx 266.  I could go on, but you get the idea.  Right now, Bill's your best bet for specific advice.  Good luck!
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:38:01 AM »

1 Peavy SP115 Monitor

1 Peavy PV1500
      2 Peavy PV2600

Electric Guitar
      Acoustic Guitar
      Bass Guitar
      Keyboard
      Drums

Thank you,

Isaac
[email protected]
Issac, it really isn't that hard to setup a system like this.  You just need to know how to flow from start to finish.  In the next day or two I will put together a drawing and send it to you email address.  It will start at the Behringer Mixer and end at the Peavey mains and monitors.  Anyway, I will get it to you in the next day or so.  ;)

Bill
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »

Wow.  Thank you all for your help and support.  I do want to apologize for saying "it shouldn't be that difficult".  What I meant by that was the physical hooking everything up.  Not the skill required to master it.  I know that many of you are highly gifted and skilled at doing love sound.  I hope one day I can be on the same level.  But for right now, I just need to get it hooked up.  haha

Bill McIntosh-Thank you for the offer.  I live in Campbellsville.  45 minutes south of Elizabethtown.  I'm going to take a look at Bill Schnake's diagram that he is making for me.  If I need some additional help, I will definitely contact you.

Bill Schnake-Thank you! That sounds awesome.  That is exactly what I need hopefully.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.