ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about Nexo?  (Read 8223 times)

kel mcguire

Questions about Nexo?
« on: May 12, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »

particularly the Nexo Ps10. ..used market

I looked up the specs, tried to find some used prices. now i have a few questions:

When did they come out? I see a version 2 now

opinions on them

Do you need the controller, is that for use with subs & tops biamped or can you simply run them full range and achieve good results?

what would be a fair price for 4 of them, used with the controller racks?

Do they array nicely? I see the asymetrical horn lens, and that looks interesting(the narrow over wide) but perhaps not side by side?

kel mcguire

Re: Questions about Nexo?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »

Nexo not very popular here? anyone?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:46:12 PM »

I looked up the specs, tried to find some used prices. now i have a few questions:

opinions on them

Do you need the controller, is that for use with subs & tops biamped or can you simply run them full range and achieve good results?

Do they array nicely? I see the asymetrical horn lens, and that looks interesting(the narrow over wide) but perhaps not side by side?

You NEED the controller.  Don't even think about using them otherwise.

PS series have been around for maybe 15 years or so.  Series 2 is a nice improvement sonically.

They don't array at all.  It's a standalone solution.

Don't know about prices.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 05:48:13 PM »

Nexo not very popular here? anyone?

Patience.  Most of the Nexo owners are working...

Yes, you need a genuine Nexo controller or Yamaha's NX series amps.  Without those its not a Nexo SYSTEM.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

kel mcguire

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »

Patience.  Most of the Nexo owners are working...

Yes, you need a genuine Nexo controller or Yamaha's NX series amps.  Without those its not a Nexo SYSTEM.

thanks. So, even without subs, the processor has what the speakers need to really shine full range?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:59:48 PM by kel mcguire »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »

thanks. So, even without subs, the processor has what the speakers need to really shine full range?

With the understanding that it's a 10" woofer. It's not going to fill a dance club, but it's the best balanced of the PS line sonically.

Mac

kel mcguire

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 06:24:23 PM »

With the understanding that it's a 10" woofer. It's not going to fill a dance club, but it's the best balanced of the PS line sonically.

Mac

thanks Mac. is $5k for 5 cabs a fair price for the PS10?

To get an idea of their performance, how do they compare to my srx712? EVQRx112

on monitor duty, is the asymetrical HF difficult to cope with?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:37:31 PM by kel mcguire »

chuck clark

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 06:58:31 PM »

on monitor duty, is the asymetrical HF difficult to cope with?

Nah, I've never used PS 10's but the Community Monitor uses an asymetrical horn with world class results. The idea is that when the performer is further away the dispersion is narrower and when the performer comes up close over the top of the monitor it's dispersion is wider thus achieving a more even energy response when moving from one position to the other.
You might need to rotate the horns in the Nexos to achieve that. Not sure that's an option-sorry not more familiar w/ Nexo. Best of luck!
Chuck

Sean Hayes

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »

opinions on them

A couple of thoughts here...

I use the ps10 fairly often for corporate work so I cannot really comment on using these in a high output setting...

Yes, you need the controller.

Please note that the ps10 is wired on circuit 2+- on an nl4. So you need to use either 4 conductor or turnarounds. Or do like I do, run one nl4 to a pair, then do a circuit swap to another pair. (Yamaha wants you to put subs on circuit 1)

I doubt any good results arraying them.

Rigging these is easy, but limited.

I cannot comment on the price, my company purchased these before I joined the crew.

Sean
Sean T. Hayes

Bob Main

• Dundee, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 04:00:46 AM »

opinions on them

Have used the Nexo PS10's almost exclusively for about 10 years now (mainly musical theatre with the occasional live band set-up) and found them to be excellent.  They can produce a quite amazing volume level - on a number of occasions I have seen clients with wistful looks on their faces as they are unloaded from their flight cases only to see them smiling shortly thereafter when they are powered up and running.  Their sound level output is quite astonishing considering the physical size of the boxes and indeed they actually (to my ear) sound better when being pushed - no distortion, just clean, balanced audio.    Having said that, these results are only achievable provided you use the boxes with the appropriate controller and/or amp combination.  (I personally use them with the Nexo branded, but Camco built, combined controller/amp).  As has been previously said DO NOT try and use them without the approved Nexo/Yamaha control system as the results will be really disappointing!

Provided you are using the approved controller set-up then the boxes can be run full range although, as would be expected, the bottom end will not give you chest-thumping levels.  They are designed to be used with the Nexo LS500 subs and these certainly give a nicely balanced sub output although I would describe it as more "refined" than "powerful".

The presence of the rotatable asymmetrical horn is one of the primary reasons that I invested in the PS10's.  They can be easily changed to work as either F.O.H. speakers or wedge monitors.  The horns have 4 Torx headed screws that you remove, rotate the horn as required, then replace the screws.  Really simple - I can do 4 boxes in under 5 minutes!  The coverage pattern that the horn provides (100 degrees horizontal below the centre line to 55 degrees above the centre line) means that when being used as a F.O.H. speaker system the sound pressure level at the back of the hall is almost (but not exactly obviously) as that at the front.  No more toasting those seated in the front rows so that people at the back can hear!  The fact that the horn can be deployed in a full 360 degree configuration also helps on those occasions when you need to cope with some difficult coverage patterns.  The asymmetrical horn also comes into its own when you want to deploy the boxes on monitor duty and as has already been explained by rotating the horn to the appropriate position you can ensure an even pattern coverage on stage.

The down side of the horn dispersion pattern does mean that they aren't designed to be arrayed. That said, never say never!  I have on more than one occasion used them in a side by side arrangement where I'm trying to cover a very wide horizontal area and although the results aren't as good as when being used in a 1 per side system, the results are nevertheless more than acceptable.  (Never had complaints from any audiences or clients where I've used them arrayed).

As far as costs are concerned, I did a quick check of the invoices from 2004 and (using todays exchange rate of $1.68 = £1) each box cost the equivalent of $1260.  That works out at $6300 for 5 boxes at 2004 prices.  Depending on age and condition, you might consider that $5000 for 5 second-hand boxes is a bit steep but if the price includes the correct controller then I would say it's not too far off the mark.

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.  If you have any other questions about the boxes feel free to fire away.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 04:00:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.