ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about EV ELX112p  (Read 4041 times)

Byron Chambers

Question about EV ELX112p
« on: May 14, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »

I've been torn between the EV ELX112p or the yamaha DSR112. My understanding is that the yamahas sound better, but the ev's have a much more attractive price tag and still sound good.

I've read some stories about the EV's prematurely going into thermal overload protection, but these stories come from threads that are 2 or 3 years old. Just wondering if anyone has any reason to believe that EV has perhaps solved this issue in more recent production?

Thanks.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: Question about EV ELX112p
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

I've been torn between the EV ELX112p or the yamaha DSR112. My understanding is that the yamahas sound better, but the ev's have a much more attractive price tag and still sound good.

I've read some stories about the EV's prematurely going into thermal overload protection, but these stories come from threads that are 2 or 3 years old. Just wondering if anyone has any reason to believe that EV has perhaps solved this issue in more recent production?

Thanks.

I have 4 of these but they haven't seen any hot scenarios yet so I can not comment on your specific questions but can offer this info for what it's worth:

I use mine as monitors and love them for that usage but I find them a little too dull sounding for use as mains. That's both for prerecorded music and live sound. They get really loud but IDK, just sound kind of "unexciting" to me when they're on sticks. For monitor usage they're the best I've ever personally owned, and my band and other bands I've run sound for really love them.

2 weeks ago I heard a band in the Bahamas using the ELX115P over a single Yorkville sub and I thought they sounded amazing. So maybe I just haven't found the EQ magic to get the 12's to sparkle as mains. If the 2 way 15s sound good, you should be able to get the 12's to sound even better for guitar and vocals, in my opinion. I only used mine twice for mains. ( BTW "sparkle","dull" and"unexciting" are all acceptable technical terms in my tiny mind)

I got mine for $465 each new. You can PM me if you want to know who gave me that price.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »

So maybe I just haven't found the EQ magic to get the 12's to sparkle as mains.

Put them in "with sub" and "flat" modes whether you have subs or not. I've found this to be the best starting point.

I've used my as additional wedges at a local venue ("additional" as in "the venue only has 6 nice wedges") and the biggest problem I've had is the non-locking IEC power connector falling when in wedge position.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

kel mcguire

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »

Thanks.

i bought 6 of them when they came out. I did not have good experiences with them. They sound very good for the price. I loved them for monitor duty. I had many thermal shutdown issues and some quality problems with things on the back panel. My understanding is they have remedied the thermal issues...but, it is a black steel panel with no fan, no fins. Today it's 100 degrees...mine have shut off on 85 degree days. Don't know if that's useful or not. I'm gun shy of them..  give me a QSC K series, Yamaha DXR, or even an older HPR speaker

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »

I ran a couple outdoor gigs last year with them, didn't have any issues.  Had a PRX go down due to thermal on monitor duty, but not these.  Been using them for two years and have been really surprised by them for the price point.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:19:49 PM »

The DSR is a better speaker in every aspect except for price ;)

The question you need to answer, is do you need the things that the DSR does better?

The advantages of the DSR:

1)  Better finish.  It will look good much longer.
2)  Louder.  It will output more everywhere than the ELX.
3)  To my ears, better sounding.
4)  I have never heard of any DSR ever thermally shutting down.  I have ran mine in the summer with the clip lights running for hours and the rear panel never gets too hot to hold your hand on.

I think the ELX112p is a very good value, but certainly not the equal of the DSR112.

Note, the DSR112 does not have a huge bottom when used without a sub.  It is best used with a sub as FOH or as monitor duty.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 08:19:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.