ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: kick-drum attachment?  (Read 7485 times)

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
kick-drum attachment?
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:16 AM »

Pardon my ignorance with this... I'm not a drummer, nor have I have encountered this object in the years of doing sound (maybe I've lived a shelter life). 

What is the round "attachment" on the kick drum in the photo?  The mic (and mic stand) is obvious, but to the left of the mic is something that appears to have a bar coming out of a round object.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: kick-drum attachment?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »

I can not see much of anything in your photo.

Yamaha makes a dedicated bass drum mic called "Sub kick".  There is also an add-on port called a "kick port".

Apparently drummers have too much money.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

DavidTurner

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:35:29 AM »

Hard to tell for sure because of the image quality, but it appears to be a damper to control the resonance of the front head. These used to be common. This is the first I've seen in decades.

Pardon my ignorance with this... I'm not a drummer, nor have I have encountered this object in the years of doing sound (maybe I've lived a shelter life). 

What is the round "attachment" on the kick drum in the photo?  The mic (and mic stand) is obvious, but to the left of the mic is something that appears to have a bar coming out of a round object.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:40:17 AM »

That's exactly what it is.

I have a few of these I use on older drum kits. Being a drummer I know how some guys are about duct tape and even moon gel on their drum heads.

They also used to have them built into many drums on the inside.

I'll bet this setup in the photo had nothing inside the kick drum to deaden the sound. Resonance city.

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »

That's exactly what it is.

I have a few of these I use on older drum kits. Being a drummer I know how some guys are about duct tape and even moon gel on their drum heads.

They also used to have them built into many drums on the inside.

I'll bet this setup in the photo had nothing inside the kick drum to deaden the sound. Resonance city.

Hard to tell for sure because of the image quality, but it appears to be a damper to control the resonance of the front head. These used to be common. This is the first I've seen in decades.

Yep. It's an external dampener. Pretty common on older bass drums, when drummers used 26 or 28" drums. That appears to be a rolling bomber kit, or something similar, from the WWII years when drums were made with wooden lugs. Seeing as how I can hear with my eyes, I bet it sounds great.  ;D

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Good to know what it is, though, now that you have all shared your knowledge, I will probably never see one!  Sorry about the image quality; it's a still taken from a video. 

Yep, thinking it was a some type of kickport as well (customized?), but couldn't figure out what or why a bar would have been attached.

Many thanks.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »

There appears to be a cable coming down from the round thing people are calling a damper. To me it looks like a hole in the head with a mic on a clip/gooseneck mount aimed through it.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 01:58:00 PM »

There appears to be a cable coming down from the round thing people are calling a damper. To me it looks like a hole in the head with a mic on a clip/gooseneck mount aimed through it.

A little tweaking on the brightness/contrast makes it pretty clear that it's a small speaker used as a mic.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

Looks like a vintage kit. Maybe even with original heads...or real old ones anyway.

Most of the vintage kit players don't like mic holes in their drum heads or internal damping. So an external dampener like the one in the picture was used.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »

A little tweaking on the brightness/contrast makes it pretty clear that it's a small speaker used as a mic.
No sir, it's definitely a bass drum muffler.  Specifically, it's a Slingerland 935 Deluxe Shur-Grip model.  Here's a picture of one:  http://www.olympicdrums.com/SlingerlandModel935BassDrumMuffler.html

This is Jay Bellerose, probably playing with Ray LaMontagne in support of the God Willin & The Creek Don't Rise release.  Glenn has it correct: it's a 1943 or 1944 Slingerland Rolling Bomber kit.  Jay uses calfskin heads top and bottom of all drums.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.