ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: The Brand does Matter  (Read 31598 times)

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: The Brand does Matter
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 02:06:25 PM »

I've never heard anything bad about the mixwiz. I would hope that A&H has gotten a handle on their issues since I had trouble with them.

There was the spate of bad grounds on faders causing them to go WFO, often intermittently.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 02:09:07 PM »

In most cases, riders are more of a general guideline than a hard fast rule.

Listing the 'no' brands is often put there to keep the bottom feeder low dollar folks out of the game.  If you're using all Behringer gear, the act will know that you like to spend as little as possible to get by.  While some pieces can be made to function acceptably, the overall reputation of the brand is not that of high end.  They are working hard to change that reputation.  In many cases, the X32 line has leapfrogged Behringer into playable territory compared to others.  However, it's still an entry level console.  If you're using that unit, it tells the artist that's your playing level.  If you spend the money on the Midas equivalent, they see that you've stepped up your game and it can instill confidence.

In the case that your gear selection doesn't exactly line up with the rider, communicating with the act and telling them what you've got and why you have it often will instill enough confidence in them that they will accept your gear.
Brian Jojade

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 02:20:06 PM »

In the case that your gear selection doesn't exactly line up with the rider, communicating with the act and telling them what you've got and why you have it often will instill enough confidence in them that they will accept your gear.

+1

I work in a town with very few options for rider friendly gear. However, 9 times out of 10, when I advance the show and explain that the options we do have available work well, are properly processed, maintained and deployed, folks are happy to work with what we've got.

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »

In most cases, riders are more of a general guideline than a hard fast rule...

In many cases, the X32 line has leapfrogged Behringer into playable territory compared to others.  However, it's still an entry level console.  If you're using that unit, it tells the artist that's your playing level.  If you spend the money on the Midas equivalent, they see that you've stepped up your game and it can instill confidence.

Brian, I couldn't agree with you more on the X32.  We use it a lot for small festivals and local acts.  When it comes to the Corporate shows we go Midas or Avid.  In our case it isn't so much that the show needs an SC-48 or Pro 2.  It is more the case that they are paying upwards or $6,000 for production a night and they don't want to see the Behringer name.  Doesn't mater that when the Midas M32 comes out that it is basically an X32 with better preamps and faders and a cooler look.  We will buy one because the client wants to see the name and we'll keep the Pro 2 busy doing some other act that actually needs that kind of horse power. ;)

Bill 8)
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Mark Oakley

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »

I've had my A&H T112/IDR48 out for a month now, and I absolutely love it. Smooth EQ, great reverb, loads of DSP, flexibility for miles-the list goes on. On at least 3 shows so far, people have come up and gone "...whoa...nice board...", whip out their cell phone and taken a few pictures.

-Mark
Oakley Audio

Lyle Williams

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »

Riders let expectations be communicated about the level of gear, service, and price.

If the gig is out of your league, there is no shame in that.  The gig is just out of your league.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 05:11:18 PM »

No Behringer, no Mackie, no Allen and Heath, pretty common stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And no homemade speakers often shows up on riders

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

No Behringer, no Mackie, no Allen and Heath, pretty common stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never seen "No A&H" either.

John

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 05:40:41 PM »

I've had my A&H T112/IDR48 out for a month now, and I absolutely love it. Smooth EQ, great reverb, loads of DSP, flexibility for miles-the list goes on. On at least 3 shows so far, people have come up and gone "...whoa...nice board...", whip out their cell phone and taken a few pictures.

-Mark

Three or 4 years ago a BE asked me if I'd ever used an iLive. Nope. He explained the features that appealed to him and ended by saying "the only thing wrong with it is the brand name."

I mixed on a couple of ML series and didn't find anything objectional. Not sure why the continued diss on AH.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »

"the only thing wrong with it is the brand name."

A bit of black gaffer tape can often sort out that kind of thing!

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 05:55:37 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.