ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: o1v96i Will Not Power Up  (Read 6308 times)

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
o1v96i Will Not Power Up
« on: May 11, 2014, 09:00:09 AM »

Had a surge yesterday. It was on a power conditioner but although everything else on the conditioner came back up, the board will not. Is there a hidden fuse anyone knows of? Any thoughts?
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
Re: o1v96i Will Not Power Up
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 12:50:30 PM »

So I can answer my own question. I will leave this so if anyone else has this issue it is a real easy solution. Also if you need to change the internal batter the same steps apply.

DISCONNECT ANY POWER... Hell remove all the cables you have plugged in and put it on a work table.

Remove the side panels and any expansion card.

Remove the 4 screws from across the middle of the rear.

Remove the 4 screws across the front bottom.

Carefully lift the rear like the hood of a car. There are ribbon cables but they are long enough to lift it a ways up. Just pay attention.

I supported mine with a paint stirrer but find something to hold it up.

If you are changing the battery it it visible now and easy to reach.

For the main power fuse remove the 2 screws from the back over the power input. Inside you will see a metal box that cover where the power comes in. There are 2 more screws that are obvious to lift the cover off. One of them also has a wire wrap on it. Once the cover is off you can see and replace the main fuse.

That was all that was burnt on mine although I tested all the other fuses while I had it open.

Reassemble in reverse order... Mine is fixed..
Steven Alves

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 01:09:46 PM »

Note that most power strips called "conditioners" don't do any conditioning.
They may have a surge protector but even then, it may be a one use and done.

There ARE real power conditioners. They cost lots more than the classic "Furman" and may weigh more too.

Use a on-line UPS if you work with dodgy power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »

Had a surge yesterday. It was on a power conditioner but although everything else on the conditioner came back up, the board will not. Is there a hidden fuse anyone knows of? Any thoughts?

Ditch the "conditioner" and get a line voltage regulator.  "Power conditioners" don't...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »

Mine is fixed..

Congrats on the happy ending, and thanks for sharing!
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »

Yeah I dont usually rely on the "conditioner" too much. Had FOH out while I was adding some gear to the stage. Got lazy and instead of pulling out the big genny (25kw) I just plugged into a little Honda. Ran out of fuel and didn't power off to restart.. FOH came up before the voltage stabilized I guess. Turned out the fuses were also blown in my Driverack 260 and two powered Yamaha monitors. The drive rack has a real easy fuse to change. All the Yamaha stuff requires disassembly.

Saved a few minutes being lazy and spent half a day replacing fuses...
Steven Alves

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 08:51:19 AM »

.... Ran out of fuel and didn't power off to restart..

Not to put too fine a point on it, but....
Big mistake with old analog gear.
Pretty silly with digital.

I don't care how big or "pretty" the genny is. It gets run for a good 3 or 4 minutes before I even plug in a lightbulb.
note- FOH lights go on-load before the console and racks get fired up.
Maybe that's just an old-timer talking, but 25 or 30 years ago, that's how I was shown to handle ANY power-up, not just on genny.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:53:57 AM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:28:02 AM »

<snip>
 I don't care how big or "pretty" the genny is. It gets run for a good 3 or 4 minutes before I even plug in a lightbulb.
note- FOH lights go on-load before the console and racks get fired up.
Maybe that's just an old-timer talking, but 25 or 30 years ago, that's how I was shown to handle ANY power-up, not just on genny.

Maybe an old-timer, but electricity hasn't changed all that much.  Maybe the electronics are better(maybe not), but still a reasonable procedure.

+1 on surge suppressors not being of much help,
+1 on voltage regulators (Furman 1215),
+1 the on-line UPS

So my rhetorical question is why Yamaha has buried the main fuse like that.
I guess the convoluted thought logic is that if the fuse blows it is because some non-user-serviceable part failed inside so why be able to just replace the fuse if it has to go on the bench anyway?

So my last stupid question (of this post, anyway) -
- Most gennies don't start easily under load -
- The load isn't happy in many cases while the gennie is stabilizing
Why don't gennies have a timed or voltage controlled relay that disconnects the load for startup that reconnects when the gennie stabilizes?  Just about every vehicle has a load-shed relay or two to provide max battery to start. 

I'm guessing the large genies have a such a feature... maybe those smaller ones with electric start?

The answer to my own question: cost?

Anyway, glad you sorted the mixer out - and shared your experience.

frank

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 10:42:57 AM »

I'm guessing the large genies have a such a feature... maybe those smaller ones with electric start?

frank

The answer is that generators (particularly the kind you can't lift into the back of a pickup truck) are to be operated by "authorized and trained personnel."

That said, last year I had a genny tech that couldn't re-bus a generator for 120/208v 3 phase wye (delivered 480v delta).  I refused to move the bus bars (not my job, not my liability) and I refused to use the generator.  This was a municipal government gig, and they got generators donated.  I suggested that paying for real techs would be better, but hiring in a genset on a Saturday, with delivery, would still be cheaper than having no event or blowing up a bunch of sound, lights, and RVs (dressing rooms).  Eventually the donating company dispatched a tech who 1) knew how to accomplish the change and 2) brought with him the necessary tools to do so.

I'm still astounded by the number of licensed electricians and generator rental shops that have no attention to important details.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »

Maybe an old-timer, but electricity hasn't changed all that much.  Maybe the electronics are better(maybe not), but still a reasonable procedure.

+1 on surge suppressors not being of much help,
+1 on voltage regulators (Furman 1215),
+1 the on-line UPS

So my rhetorical question is why Yamaha has buried the main fuse like that.
I guess the convoluted thought logic is that if the fuse blows it is because some non-user-serviceable part failed inside so why be able to just replace the fuse if it has to go on the bench anyway?

So my last stupid question (of this post, anyway) -
- Most gennies don't start easily under load -
- The load isn't happy in many cases while the gennie is stabilizing
Why don't gennies have a timed or voltage controlled relay that disconnects the load for startup that reconnects when the gennie stabilizes?  Just about every vehicle has a load-shed relay or two to provide max battery to start. 

frank

Frank, et al...

I believe the Honda manual advises SOP to be to disconnect the generator before powering it down to avoid passing sagging current to any devices.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 25 queries.