ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ear-worn mic for presenters  (Read 2678 times)

John Calhoun

• Right Hear Productions
Ear-worn mic for presenters
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I have mixed for bands for some time, but I have recently ventured into other types of events. I have recently purchased a couple Shure digital wireless units and I am planning to pick up a couple ear-worn mics for presenters.

My question. Should I use omnidirectional mics or unidirectional?

I have borrowed an omnidirectional mic before and it worked okay, but I was just curious if anyone has a preference.

Thanks for any advice.
John

RIGHT HEAR PRODUCTIONS LLC
(small western KY sound provider)
(8 ) EV ETX18sp Subs
(4) EV ETX35p Speakers
(8 ) EV ETX12p Monitors
X32 and X32 Compact mixers
Shure, Sennheiser, and Audix mics

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Ear-worn mic for presenters
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I have mixed for bands for some time, but I have recently ventured into other types of events. I have recently purchased a couple Shure digital wireless units and I am planning to pick up a couple ear-worn mics for presenters.

I have borrowed an omnidirectional mic before and it worked okay, but I was just curious if anyone has a preference.

Thanks for any advice.

My first advice - use the forum's Search tool.  There has been discussion of this before, and IIRC the consensus was that directional capsules on "ear set" mics are very picky about placement and position, and small variances will result in significant audio changes.  Omni mics are much, much more forgiving of small placement variations.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any advice.
I suggest an omni capsule as they are forgiving about placement.
There are a lot available but I have just used these Rode HS1s and they worked out very well.
http://www.rodemic.com/microphones/hs1
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any advice.

I use a DPA 4088F Cardioid for smaller venues where the speakers are in close proximity to the person using it. Or if the person likes to walk all over when speaking.

I use a DPA 4066F Omni for large venues

The 4088 is a little bit more placement sensitive. Not much though.  But it sounds better than the Omni. Less chance for feedback.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 03:58:27 PM »

Omnidirectional earworn mics are most popular with our customers because of the wider pickup pattern. One of the many benefits of an earworn microphone (compared to a lavalier) is that it already provides fairly accurate placement within inches of the mouth so an omni would work for you just fine if you are not in a high noise environment.  If you're faced with feedback challenges, you might consider the cardioid. Because of the more narrow pick-up pattern and to ensure it from shifting, you may want to secure the cardioid mic position with tape. Alternatively, some of the dual headset styles either in onmi or cardioid are popular because you can "lock" the boom and mic in place.

http://www.point-sourceaudio.com/headset_microphone/overview.html

Hope that's helpful.

Yeahhhh you should update your profile to show your Real Name, as required by the posting rules of participation for these forums!

Thank you,

Ray Aberle

Update: Haha yeah, that was awkward. I hit "reply," but then the phone rang, and spent 15 minutes on the phone. Came back, finished my post---- and the offending post had been deleted. Haha.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »

Yeahhhh you should update your profile to show your Real Name, as required by the posting rules of participation for these forums!

Thank you,

Ray Aberle

Update: Haha yeah, that was awkward. I hit "reply," but then the phone rang, and spent 15 minutes on the phone. Came back, finished my post---- and the offending post had been deleted. Haha.

It wasn't just the name violation, here we have yet another manufacturer who failed to read the rules regarding acceptable participation here.

That rule was in place from Day One in 1994, long before the "real name" policy was implemented.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »

It wasn't just the name violation, here we have yet another manufacturer who failed to read the rules regarding acceptable participation here.

That rule was in place from Day One in 1994, long before the "real name" policy was implemented.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well, when I hit "Reply," that the manufacturer was in violation of that policy as well. Then the phone rang, and yeahhhh. I get that they're trying to build their business... but when a rule is clearly posted, and it gets ignored... Annoying.

I tell people this all the time when they're sending me spam-- I get that you're trying to build your business, but you're doing things that piss me off, and cos of that I'm never going to buy from you!

Thanks, Doug, for staying on top of them. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.