ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Made me giggle...  (Read 7952 times)

Steve Oldridge

Re: Made me giggle...
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 09:24:32 PM »

Are people really that ignorant of something so basic???

Absolutely.. even those who supposedly "know" don't often get it. Did an outdoor gig a few yrs ago where I fronted with the organizers and they had union electricians runs 2 8-gauge drops (right off main breaker box) with 4 x 20 amp outlets on each out to us. I figured they know what they were doing so hooked the band and PA up. 3rd song in we tripped breakers. Turns out they had wired BOTH of them into 15 amp circuits on the breaker boards.   
A 2nd set came out and dropped us 2 more lines, basically asking who had run the initial lines  !!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:37:57 PM by Steve.Oldridge »

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 09:48:52 AM »

I had an outdoor show we did last summer that this reminds me of.

I told the promoter and had it in the contract I needed 200 amps three phase and the side of the stage.

No problem...he has an electrician providing the power...

The day before the show I get a call from the electrician asking what I needed.

When I told him he said the promoter told him three 20 amp circuits...:)

At least the electrician called. He told me the venue had no three phase power to the whole place. And he would see what he could do. I told him it sounded like genni time...

Fortunately for me we have an LED lighting rig now so we can get along with a lot less power than with the old PAR64 rig.

But you know there are times when you really want to make a promoter squirm...

We show up the night before the really big show. The stage was built. About 1/4 of the size they promised. No power to the stage at all. I talked to the promoter. He assured me the electricians were taking care of it. I then collected the remainder of the money in cash like we agreed in the contract and promptly went to the motel to sleep.

The next morning we get to the gig and the electricians are burying cable to the stage...

We ended up with 50 Amps @ 220VAC.

Not what we asked for. We left 3/4 of the PA in the truck. Brought out one amp rack, a few LED strips and proceeded to do the show. The bands were very happy and it came off OK.

The promoter was bummed because his big festival only had about 150-200 people show up for. Oh, did I mention he did very little advertising...a web page.

Needless to say he changed the weekend of his festival for this year, and oh so sorry, we have another booking.

There must be a 100 stories like this I can tell.

They can wait for the book my wife tells me I should write.

God I love this business! Been in it since 1971...

Bob Cap
Advanced Audio Inc.
Gilbert, MN

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »

Not exactly the same thing, but I remember a discussion with a quite knowledgeable gentlemen about three-phase power, the distance from the stage, where the panel was, 100A for sound, 200A for lights, stage power is already run, who will tie in, etc. etc. A very normal conversation when you roll up to a venue for the first time. Except.....

The man was wearing a baseball cap and tennis shoes. And by that I mean ONLY a baseball cap and tennis shoes!!  ;D One of those "this is such a strange experience, but I'll act like it's perfectly normal and just get on with it!" kind of days.

At least the power was adequate and the electrician was on time, if a little under-dressed.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »

The man was wearing a baseball cap and tennis shoes. And by that I mean ONLY a baseball cap and tennis shoes!!  ;D One of those "this is such a strange experience, but I'll act like it's perfectly normal and just get on with it!" kind of days.

At least the power was adequate and the electrician was on time, if a little under-dressed.

At least he had rubber soled shoes.  And little chance of getting his clothing caught on something. Sounds safe to me.
Mark McFarlane

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 09:04:18 PM »

<snip>

The man was wearing a baseball cap and tennis shoes. And by that I mean ONLY a baseball cap and tennis shoes!!  ;D 
<snip>

Kinda tough to keep one-hand-in-a-pocket working on electric...

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »

You can play pool without the pocket.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 23 queries.