ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to lighting - seeking help  (Read 4319 times)

Maidson Pierre Louis

New to lighting - seeking help
« on: May 09, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »

Im in the process on buying some light for my business. Since I'm new into lighting i don't want to spend to much, and I'm not where i want to be with the sound yet so i can't invest to much in lighting.

right now I'm just looking for some budget/cheap lighting to begin with and i will use it to train my guys. Hopefully in 3 - 5 months i will invest more.

i was looking at those in ebay. I want to know if its a good investment to  beging with .
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231224997580?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8X-Pro-Quality-Road-Warrior-Aluminum-36-X-3W-LED-Par-DJ-Stage-Party-Light-/231225014161?pt=US_Stage_Lighting_Single_Units&hash=item35d615b791

what you guys think ?
Maidia Event Productions

Jbl SRX722, SRX712, SRX718, EV, EAW. RoLand JC120, Crown Itech, Crown Xti, DBx, Denon, Mac Book Pro, M-Audio , Motion Labs, Ewi, On Stage, Ampeg, Yamaha Drum, SoundCraft expression 3 etc ...

James Feenstra

Re: New to lighting - seeking help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »

like all Chinese led fixtures, do not expect them to last very long (1-3 year typical life span)

you may also not have as much consistency between fixtures (color, dmx profile may be different, etc) as you would with a 'name' brand
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »

I echo what James said.  No-name LED fixtures from ebay tend to be very glitchy and unreliable.  A lot of members on here recommend Blizzard Lighting as a provider of inexpensive yet reliable LED units.  I'd even say try American DJ or Chauvet before you try these.  At least you'd be able to get technical support and a real warranty with them if something does go wrong.  How big of a stage or venue are you trying to light?  I know it's tempting to buy the cheapest thing you can to get buy until you can afford to spend more (and that's a whole discussion in itself), but you'd honestly be better off spending a little more cash to get a much better unit.  I'd recon a pair of good LED pars can easily out shine that kit of 8 on ebay and will be more reliable while doing it!  Just my thoughts...  Hope this helps!

Maidson Pierre Louis

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »

I echo what James said.  No-name LED fixtures from ebay tend to be very glitchy and unreliable.  A lot of members on here recommend Blizzard Lighting as a provider of inexpensive yet reliable LED units.  I'd even say try American DJ or Chauvet before you try these.  At least you'd be able to get technical support and a real warranty with them if something does go wrong.  How big of a stage or venue are you trying to light?  I know it's tempting to buy the cheapest thing you can to get buy until you can afford to spend more (and that's a whole discussion in itself), but you'd honestly be better off spending a little more cash to get a much better unit.  I'd recon a pair of good LED pars can easily out shine that kit of 8 on ebay and will be more reliable while doing it!  Just my thoughts...  Hope this helps!

the stage is 16' wide by 12' depth ceiling height 10' and some other location is 15'
Maidia Event Productions

Jbl SRX722, SRX712, SRX718, EV, EAW. RoLand JC120, Crown Itech, Crown Xti, DBx, Denon, Mac Book Pro, M-Audio , Motion Labs, Ewi, On Stage, Ampeg, Yamaha Drum, SoundCraft expression 3 etc ...

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »

You take your chances with the fixtures, but they could be a good value for your application. What will you use for a controller? This should be a priority if you are going to train someone to run your lights.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »

You take your chances with the fixtures, but they could be a good value for your application. What will you use for a controller? This should be a priority if you are going to train someone to run your lights.

I second what Duane says a good controller makes a great deal of difference.  I am a software controller type guy and find it easier to use than most hardware controllers...that's just me. :o

Bill  8)
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:24:18 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.