ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: new monitor purchase  (Read 13489 times)

brad smith

new monitor purchase
« on: May 08, 2014, 11:08:25 PM »

I'm looking to purchase a new monitor rig and wanted some opinions. We'll be purchasing 4 to 6 monitors for local/ regional bands and am either planning on a combination of EV tour x 12/15's or JBL prx 712's. I know that most people will mention active is better. I am planning on running the EV's with QSC plx 3602's. I have been using a combination of Yamaha cm 15's and jbl mrx 512's.  My drum monitor is a jbl mrx 525. Looking to purchase  quality cabinets that can keep up with high volume of rock to country acts. I will also be purchasing a new drum monitor and am leaning towards a powered sub/top but not set on that purchase.

I mainly run sound for my band and do occasional sound jobs, but am wanting something that I can use for regional acts. There are some regional companies that love the EV tour x monitors and just not sure what direction to go and what to spend the money on.

Looking for opinions on what you would do.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: new monitor purchase
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »

I know that most people will mention active is better.

I can't say I agree with this.  For stage monitors, I much prefer to use passive speakers.  The reason being, is that now I only have to run a single speaker cable to the cabinet.  No power connection needed.  I also have access to all of the controls on the side of the stage.  No chance of forgetting to turn on the power switch, or having one of the controls set incorrectly on stage.

But that's just me.  Some people prefer dealing with the active speaker versus dealing with an amp rack on the side of the stage.  Neither is right or wrong.  Neither is better or worse, if you're comparing the same class of speaker.
Brian Jojade

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:42:14 PM »

If you decide to do powered wedges I'd recommend the RCF NX12SMA.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »

Those RCF's would be the way to go if you can afford them.

For a cheaper option, the Yamaha DSR112 is an excellent, loud floor monitor. It has a good monitor angle (the JBL does not), and it's rated 134db 1300w peak. It also utilized locking power cords (but not powercon).

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »

It has a good monitor angle (the JBL does not),

There is nothing wrong with the monitor angle of the PRX 712, the speaker mentioned by the OP.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »

Mike recently recommended them to me and another forum member, and we couldn't be happier. A third forum member heard mine and promptly bought them to replace his wedges. They're not exactly new, but they seem to really me making their way around recently. Excellent weight/SPL ratio.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:00:13 AM »

Mike recently recommended them to me and another forum member, and we couldn't be happier. A third forum member heard mine and promptly bought them to replace his wedges. They're not exactly new, but they seem to really me making their way around recently. Excellent weight/SPL ratio.

I have  NX10SMAs an 2 NX12SMAs. Very happy camper here.  Perfect angle to tuck right in front of the mic stand.  Go loud, sound good.  I prefer the 12s for more full range usage but the 10s are excellent for vocal reinforcement.  I give the 12s to the bass player and drummer, everyone else gets the 10s.  The artists always say 'wow, I've never hear myself so clearly' (taken in the context that I work with mostly C level artists and a few B international touring group)
Mark McFarlane

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:34:46 AM »

I'd recommend the RCF NX12SMA

+1 if you go the self-powered route.  I own six.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:34:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.