ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: new monitor purchase  (Read 13497 times)

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: new monitor purchase
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »

For stage monitors, I much prefer to use passive speakers.  The reason being, is that now I only have to run a single speaker cable to the cabinet.

I agree with Brian and even take this a step further. I rewired a four monitor set with NL8 and now can provide four mixes by just daisy chaining further reducing cabling.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »

I agree with Brian and even take this a step further. I rewired a four monitor set with NL8 and now can provide four mixes by just daisy chaining further reducing cabling.

Do you simply have 4 speakers wired to each of the 4 pins? what if you want to monitors for one mix?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »

I have  NX10SMAs an 2 NX12SMAs. Very happy camper here.  Perfect angle to tuck right in front of the mic stand.  Go loud, sound good.  I prefer the 12s for more full range usage but the 10s are excellent for vocal reinforcement.  I give the 12s to the bass player and drummer, everyone else gets the 10s.  The artists always say 'wow, I've never hear myself so clearly' (taken in the context that I work with mostly C level artists and a few B international touring group)

Mark, do you agree with this quote from RCF's website "The advantages of the coaxial transducers are the complete absence of feedback "?  That's quite a claim.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »

Mark, do you agree with this quote from RCF's website "The advantages of the coaxial transducers are the complete absence of feedback "?  That's quite a claim.

While I would not go that far, the statement is not far from the truth, with the NX series of monitors. We have 12 in our inventory and and SOLD a ton of them to sound co's . The way this speaker is designed , does have excellent feedback rejection properties. We have used the coaxial speakers with the Heil RC35 capsules on stage and have literally had performers bend over the monitor while performing to reach out to the audience and NO FEEDBACK. I feel that the properties of the coaxial design and the high rear rejection of the Heil capsules (>45db) does the trick...those that have purchased the NX monitors are blown away ...
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »

Do you simply have 4 speakers wired to each of the 4 pins? what if you want to monitors for one mix?

I wired each of the four monitors to pin 1+-, pin 2+-, pin 3+-, and pin 4+- respectively
Each monitor gets its own amp or amp channel
If only one mix just feed each amp same signal

I also included quarter inch inputs for easy chaining without worrying about pins

It's really worked well for me as we most often provide four mixes
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »

You can get them to feedback but with a directional mic they go plenty loud before feedback with no EQ applied.  They go louder before feedback and sound much better than my previous mons (Yamaha SMIV, Mackie SRM450s, Yorkville 550Ps).  I made a post in the measurement forum last year with some details about there response. They are quite flat.
Mark McFarlane

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 02:58:24 PM »

Sure it's some marketing lingo, but generally I find coaxial monitors, and monitors processed approximately flat, resist feedback with standard mics better than many non-coaxial designs. I find this to be especially true when the vocalist is moving around with the mic.

john lutz

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »

I'm looking to purchase a new monitor rig and wanted some opinions. We'll be purchasing 4 to 6 monitors for local/ regional bands and am either planning on a combination of EV tour x 12/15's or JBL prx 712's. I know that most people will mention active is better. I am planning on running the EV's with QSC plx 3602's. I have been using a combination of Yamaha cm 15's and jbl mrx 512's.  My drum monitor is a jbl mrx 525. Looking to purchase  quality cabinets that can keep up with high volume of rock to country acts. I will also be purchasing a new drum monitor and am leaning towards a powered sub/top but not set on that purchase.

I mainly run sound for my band and do occasional sound jobs, but am wanting something that I can use for regional acts. There are some regional companies that love the EV tour x monitors and just not sure what direction to go and what to spend the money on.

Looking for opinions on what you would do.

So what is it about the JBL MRX 512s that is letting you down?  Just that non-powered?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 06:33:28 PM »

I have some monitors with coaxials in them and I agree that they are less prone to feedback. I had heard something about conventional horns and pattern flip? Maybe that is what the coax doesn't do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

chuck clark

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »

Uh, yeah, hold on a sec, my bullshit meter just pegged.
As one who has owned some P.A.S.  T.O.C. (time offset corrected) co-axial concert wedges w/ 4" voice coil 15's and a 3" voice coil Radian Hi-freq. driver, that have worked GREAT for over 20 yrs. I can tell you that statement is unmitigated B.S.T.M.  (better sound thru marketing)
No doubt a late nite session in marketing w/ a leeetle too much coffee.  The little RCF's are pretty nifty but the voice coils are to small for me.  2.5" on the woof and and a 1" horn?
I'm witholding judgement until they are compared to the standard JBL SRX 712M. Thank you very much. Have a lovely day!
Chuck

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 07:48:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.