ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracking down intermittent noise  (Read 2379 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Tracking down intermittent noise
« on: May 12, 2014, 09:13:07 PM »

We have been having trouble with noise in multiple locations on an A&H GL3800.  I have posted before-someone suggested exercising/cleaning insert jacks.  I have done this, with no noticeable improvement.  I have localized,at least on some channels, the problem to the XLR input jacks and plan to replace most of those very soon.

This Sunday we began having trouble with the pulpit mic and tried the obvious fixes mid service.  Changed out mics, cables and exercised input connector.  The odd thing is, when soloing the mic, or listening to main or monitor mix on headphones the noise was never heard-I was listening to headphones while another tech listened to the service live and cued me when the mic "broke up."  This caused me, during a convenient moment to try exercising the output connectors-though line level shouldn't be as susceptible to noise, should it?   The problem seemed to improve after all this-but never completely went away.

It seems odd to me that I could not hear the trouble on the phones-perhaps a ribbon connector,which I can and will try to clean-but the problem also seemed localized to the specific mic/channel.  We used other mics and line inputs throughout the service and some for extended periods of time,but never had static except on the one mic/channel.

Given the recent weather changes/increased humidity I am all but 100% certain it is a connection issue.  I have a lot of experience troubleshooting complex systems though, and it troubles me that observations contradict each other as I try to localize the problem-what am I missing?
Steve Swaffer

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Tracking down intermittent noise
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »

How old is the system, and how long has it been in place.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:11:43 PM »

Approximately 7 years
Steve Swaffer

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:25:32 PM »

Approximately 7 years

Try spraying the jacks with contact cleaner. I suggest Deoxit D-5

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:34:48 PM »

Try spraying the jacks with contact cleaner. I suggest Deoxit D-5

Absolutely. Either give the board a full and complete cleaning or take it somewhere were it can be done for you by a competent and trained technician.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:31:53 AM »

That's pretty much the conclusion I have come to-I don't like "shotgun" repairs-but it seems that is on order here.  I am certainly not looking for a silver bullet with this post-and maybe I am overlooking something in my observation.  Was more puzzled by not hearing noise that appears to be localized to one channel in the phones when listening to the main "out" and what I could learn from understanding that anomaly for future reference.  I had always assumed that the phones should be an honest representation of the output-obviously at some point there are connections beyond the tap for the phones, but that should affect everything?
Steve Swaffer

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »

That's pretty much the conclusion I have come to-I don't like "shotgun" repairs-but it seems that is on order here.  I am certainly not looking for a silver bullet with this post-and maybe I am overlooking something in my observation.  Was more puzzled by not hearing noise that appears to be localized to one channel in the phones when listening to the main "out" and what I could learn from understanding that anomaly for future reference.  I had always assumed that the phones should be an honest representation of the output-obviously at some point there are connections beyond the tap for the phones, but that should affect everything?
two suggestions. XLR connectors are not standard. Some are different sizes, and this will cause intermittent problems. The name brand ones will never give you problems, it's the no-name counterfeits
second, it sounds like it's a switch somewhere in the signal chain. Switches that divert the signal to a submaster or something. I had trouble with an A&H mixer, the switch that changed the submaster faders to aux send. Had to use a pointed tool of some sort to work the switch, because it was recessed. Had to be exercised routinely.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »

It could be caused by the channel insert jack losing the normal connection. Try running a 1/4" plug in& out of that connector a few times with some de-oxit applied.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.