ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outdoor Theatre Speakers  (Read 3218 times)

Bill Tejral

Outdoor Theatre Speakers
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »

My company has been tasked with "fixing" a system in an outdoor theatre (small shed). The current system is based on JBL VT4888's that have been outdoors for 6 years. There was some weatherproofing applied on site, but the speakers and cabinets are not in great shape. This venue has major 'Classic' acts from all eras. To cover this space with weather proof boxes, my first choice would be Danley speakers. Would these be rider acceptable? Thanks, Bill

John Penkala

Re: Outdoor Theatre Speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »

The short answer is "no".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:50:52 PM »

My company has been tasked with "fixing" a system in an outdoor theatre (small shed). The current system is based on JBL VT4888's that have been outdoors for 6 years. There was some weatherproofing applied on site, but the speakers and cabinets are not in great shape. This venue has major 'Classic' acts from all eras. To cover this space with weather proof boxes, my first choice would be Danley speakers. Would these be rider acceptable? Thanks, Bill
The question would be how rider important do those acts demand?

My experience (based on years ago) was that many of those acts may or may not have a FOH guy. 

And often the riders have nothing to do with the actual band setup and is just a copy paste situation.

I would think the console would be more important-for being familiar.

Often a installed system does not have to meet as many of the rider requirements.

But as with all things audio "it depends"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bill Tejral

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:36:40 PM »

The question would be how rider important do those acts demand?

My experience (based on years ago) was that many of those acts may or may not have a FOH guy. 

And often the riders have nothing to do with the actual band setup and is just a copy paste situation.

I would think the console would be more important-for being familiar.

Often a installed system does not have to meet as many of the rider requirements.

But as with all things audio "it depends"

Thats what I was thinking, but I didn't want to "fix" one thing and create other issues. I have reached out to 2 of the acts that they have booked this summer, hopefully they answer, before its too late. Thanks.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »

If the JBL system hasn't been an issue, then why reinvent the wheel. I realize the point here is to make money, but replacing drivers, etc. should make you as much money as replacing the boxes and then suffering a bad rap if an act comes through and raises hell, or refuses to work the site, because of your decision. Give this some serious thought, and if it were me I would repair what's in place, or replace those boxes with a JBL equal. I'm sure if explained properly the venue will understand.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »

Are the boxes powered or unpowered? How many arrays and boxes per array?!

Bill Tejral

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »

If the JBL system hasn't been an issue, then why reinvent the wheel. I realize the point here is to make money, but replacing drivers, etc. should make you as much money as replacing the boxes and then suffering a bad rap if an act comes through and raises hell, or refuses to work the site, because of your decision. Give this some serious thought, and if it were me I would repair what's in place, or replace those boxes with a JBL equal. I'm sure if explained properly the venue will understand.

The way they were "weatherproofed" the boxes makes it impossible to get to the high freg horns or drivers and the subs. The boxes may fall apart while we change the low and mid drivers. Installing the same boxes, knowing that they too will fail, is not an option. To do this right, JBL would need to user the custom shop, as they do not have weatherproof Vertec available. This involves a very long lead time. EAW has KF740 weatherproof with half the lead time. Danley has less lead time and covers the venue better. This is not about making money, its about doing the right thing for the client. They have to find a balance between a system that they can INSTALL and leave INSTALLED with minimal deterioration and potential rider issues. Unfortunately, they didn't leave a lot of time before their events.

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »

Hi Bill,

I've definitely voted with my wallet and gone the Danley route. I've never had anyone turn up their nose after hearing the rig! Being that it's a smaller venue, the venue probably has much more pull than the artists performing in terms of rider negotiations.  I would go with the biggest weatherproofed Danleys boxes they can afford and then bask in the warmth of the happy venue and punters.

Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.