ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this exist?  (Read 19139 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Does this exist?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »

The spec on what is being talked about here is the JBLs reported 97 db, to the EVs 102. That's a fairly substantial difference.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »

The spec on what is being talked about here is the JBLs reported 97 db, to the EVs 102. That's a fairly substantial difference.

So do we believe specs or personal experience?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »

Fulcrum DX12xx is another dual 12" 2 way that sounds great, price isn't much more.

Typed on a virtual keyboard. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 02:34:54 PM »

Fulcrum DX12xx is another dual 12" 2 way that sounds great, price isn't much more.

Typed on a virtual keyboard.

Until you factor in the cost of an "required" amp or DSP.  Last time, I check the DSP amps where; Lab Gruppen PLM, PowerSoft and Crown Itech-HD and for a simple stand alone DSP there was XTA, Lake, & Bi-Amp.

I went FA22ac and the cost is on par with 4x VRX932LAP.  But a 2x QRx212/SRX722 & XTi-2 is half the price.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:44:04 PM by Matt Vivlamore »
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Does this exist?
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »

Why compare Fulcrum with powersoft, with SRX with XTI? SRX or STX with the real iTech HD is pretty expensive as well. I think that comparison underlines why your new fulcrums are such a good deal Matt!

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 03:38:28 PM »

Uh... no.  The magnet material is not indicative of either the voltage necessary to move the cone nor the current required to keep it moving.

The rest... decent sounding box, yes.

I thought I read somewhere that Neo took twice the power to achieve the same volume. Maybe it was a bad dream. Why did the SRX literature state that it required three times the power as the QRX?

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »

I thought I read somewhere that Neo took twice the power to achieve the same volume. Maybe it was a bad dream. Why did the SRX literature state that it required three times the power as the QRX?

SRX700's came out when big wattage speaker was the only way to go and made an easier sell. Well it still an issue today for the Noobs, but use veterans are looking for the most effective speakers. 

What I've noticed with the SRX gear, you don't need a ton a power to make a good amount of volume.  They just take the higher wattage abuse better.  I'm saying this while I power them with the Itechs, but the limiters are set at RMS value.
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 03:50:54 PM »

SRX700's came out when big wattage speaker was the only way to go and made an easier sell. Well it still an issue today for the Noobs, but use veterans are looking for the most effective speakers. 

What I've noticed with the SRX gear, you don't need a ton a power to make a good amount of volume.  They just take the higher wattage abuse better.  I'm saying this while I power them with the Itechs, but the limiters are set at RMS value.

Thanks Matt. I never owned the JBL. I think the power requirements actually scared me off.. I had the 212's and put them on a PL236, one a side and had plenty of headroom for what I was doing at the time

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »

Maybe when guys say "it takes a lot of power to light up the JBLs...." they're talking about sparks and flames, I dunno.  Brother Matt is right again, though, about the JBLs taking some serious thermal abuse and living to see the next gig.

I suggest folks get to know their speakers by finding the -3dB point of power compression and then contemplate the implications.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »

Specifically a 2x12 + horn that isn't huge, heavy and stupid expensive?

Tannoy VX12.2Q, or the powered VXP12.2Q.

http://www.tannoypro.com/#Page=Product&Id=121.402

http://www.tannoypro.com/#Page=Product&Id=122.410
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.