ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this exist?  (Read 19138 times)

Craig Hamilton

Re: Does this exist?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »

I say the old JBL cabs will be worth more to sell complete and build new cabs with your selection of Kappa 12" woofers and choice of horn and driver. The magnet and driver assy on those older JBL horns were just as big and heavy as the woofers. I am lost on why JBL feels there is no market for a replacement for the 722.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 02:35:36 AM »

I say the old JBL cabs will be worth more to sell complete and build new cabs with your selection of Kappa 12" woofers and choice of horn and driver. The magnet and driver assy on those older JBL horns were just as big and heavy as the woofers. I am lost on why JBL feels there is no market for a replacement for the 722.

The cabs are old, beat to shit and there's no market around here (so they'd have to ship).  I can't see getting much for them that's why I thought I would utilize the parts I want and sell the rest.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2014, 04:05:13 AM »

The HO has much too high sensitivity.  A pair of them would be 6-7db louder than the horn.

If you really believe the 3012HO is that much louder then the JBL HF then you could use only one 12" per HF - that would save you far more size, cost and weight than a dual 3012LF design.

Of course, the difference isn't that big and the HO's won't outrun the JBL HF (over most of their range) anyway.
Cheers,
David.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 09:01:11 AM »

The HO has much too high sensitivity.  A pair of them would be 6-7db louder than the horn.

What? No... a pair of 3012HO's are no more that 103dB @1w below 1khz before any correction is applied(look at the graph not the spec sheet) and the 2447j is 111dB.

Paul Guthrie

• DiTech AV
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 11:22:12 PM »

I know someone who has 6 of the SRX 722's for sale.  These were installed in a retreat center, they all are in good shape.  We just sold and installed a DAS Aero 12 rig.  The 722's along with subs and several amps are for sale.  I know they would like to move them soon.   Heres a link to a craigslist post:  http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/4409050389.html

Rental Stocklist:
DAS Audio
DiColor 3.91 LED Video Wall
Yamaha
PR Lighting
Mega Lighting
Sennheiser

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 11:35:29 PM »

What? No... a pair of 3012HO's are no more that 103dB @1w below 1khz before any correction is applied(look at the graph not the spec sheet) and the 2447j is 111dB.

The JBL 2206 is 95db.
The 3012LF is 95.5db
The 3012HO is 100.5db!
The 4731A cab is 99db

If I'm going to be using the original JBL xover, the LF is a much closer match to the 2206 than the HO.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:09:02 AM by Alex Rigodanzo »

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 11:46:30 PM »

I know someone who has 6 of the SRX 722's for sale.  These were installed in a retreat center, they all are in good shape.  We just sold and installed a DAS Aero 12 rig.  The 722's along with subs and several amps are for sale.  I know they would like to move them soon.   Heres a link to a craigslist post:  http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/4409050389.html

The band seems in agreement that the funds aren't there to buy 722's.  When the previous soundman retired, he took his trailer ($4k to replace), snake ($450), board ($900), rack gear ($500), 2 monitors ($500), sold the band a used distro @ $100, and a couple hundred more in assorted ext cords, cables, etc.  Everyone is feeling tapped out right now.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 01:11:36 AM »

The band seems in agreement that the funds aren't there to buy 722's.  When the previous soundman retired, he took his trailer ($4k to replace), snake ($450), board ($900), rack gear ($500), 2 monitors ($500), sold the band a used distro @ $100, and a couple hundred more in assorted ext cords, cables, etc.  Everyone is feeling tapped out right now.

You don't need a unicorn speaker system, you need to hire one of the guys posting here.  Someone who's doing it for love, not money.

It's a commercial decision for you and your bandmates.  I get it, and if you're playing to accompany alcohol sales/hook up possibilities you probably don't need to spend a huge amount of money on audio.  You'll get more comments and ROI on cool lighting.  If you're playing further up the money tree, the quality of audio gets more important as does the appearance of the gear.  You'll have to assess what level of perceived sound quality, aesthetics, transport friendly = gig potential, up front and long term costs, budget constraints.

That said, if you're going to buy/build a speaker system I strongly suggest purchasing up to the "next level" of whatever your market is.  This will save you from making a future purchase that largely duplicates your current spending.  You want to avoid paying twice for the same capability, even if it seems easier to buy twice.  And the wrong product at the "right price" is still the wrong product...

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Alex Rigodanzo

• Next Myle band
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »

You don't need a unicorn speaker system, you need to hire one of the guys posting here.  Someone who's doing it for love, not money.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

We are definitely doing it for love, not money.  The only reason this whole speaker topic came up, is the youngest guy in the band is 42, several have physical limitations and we're all tired of moving around 136lb 4731's.  The previous soundman was a bull and he carried and lifted them onto the subs by himself.  Now we're struggling with two people doing it.

What's really holding us back in making a change is, as I mentioned above, we're not in a market where we could easily unload the 4731's and given their cosmetic condition, we'd get killed on price anyway.  I had hoped after a few gigs, one of the guys would have been sick enough dealing with them to whip out the credit card or dip into the retirement to buy a set of 722's (as I did to buy the board and rack gear, and the singer did to buy the trailer and monitors)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »

We are definitely doing it for love, not money.  The only reason this whole speaker topic came up, is the youngest guy in the band is 42, several have physical limitations and we're all tired of moving around 136lb 4731's.  The previous soundman was a bull and he carried and lifted them onto the subs by himself.  Now we're struggling with two people doing it.

What's really holding us back in making a change is, as I mentioned above, we're not in a market where we could easily unload the 4731's and given their cosmetic condition, we'd get killed on price anyway.  I had hoped after a few gigs, one of the guys would have been sick enough dealing with them to whip out the credit card or dip into the retirement to buy a set of 722's (as I did to buy the board and rack gear, and the singer did to buy the trailer and monitors)

My next "milestone" birthday will be number 60.  I've become very aware of my physical being over the last decade.  When I complain to my doctor about new aches, pains and other sundry issues, she looks at me and says "Tim, you're not 19 anymore."  I congratulate her on the quick read of my chart and remind her that I've worked on theatrical shows with her son.  My actual concern is that she'll retire before I do...

At any rate, kind of like "good, fast, cheap - pick any 2" there is "loud, lightweight, cheap - pick 2" in audio.  You guys need a rig that weighs nothing, takes little space, covers the venue and is inexpensive.  That's why I called it a Unicorn...  Often mentioned but only seen by small children and the 'perceptually enhanced.'

Usually on a budget I suggest retired big-boy PA, but that kind of gear is big, stupid heavy and probably overkill for you guys.  You really need a plastic-box main system and a couple of matching subs, but that's out of your budget - anything that sounds good will be too much cash, even used.  I wish I had some better options to offer, Alex.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.