ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sanctuary remodel q's  (Read 10511 times)

Tim Martin

Sanctuary remodel q's
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »

I'm overseeing sound at a small church, and we are about to do a remodel of the sanctuary. This gives opportunity to upgrade our speaker system and location etc. I am looking for input on this.

Currently we meet in a 30' x 40' room with about a 12' high drop ceiling. The pulpit is in the center of the 40' edge, and our 2 speakers are currently mounted in the front corners pointed toward the center of the room.  We expect to take out the drop ceiling and add drywall flat ceiling up to about 14' high. We are thinking of moving the speakers to the center above the pulpit to add a more natural sound. (location of speakers correlating with location of the preacher) The speakers we are using are model Yamaha S12e.

So here's the question. Should we add a third speaker to the cluster in the center above the pulpit? If so, what kind would you recommend based on what we have now? Also, do you agree that we should try to move them to the center above the pulpit? We use the speakers mostly for amplifying the sermon, and also to amplify the voice and guitar of the worship leader (me). We have plenty of horsepower in the amplifiers and lots of options in the sound board (prosonus system)

Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

Robert Healey

Re: Sanctuary remodel q's
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 03:56:02 PM »

I hope you are planning to replace the sound absorption provided by the drop ceiling. With poor acoustics, even the best sound system will sound bad.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »

The speakers we are using are model Yamaha S12e.

So here's the question. Should we add a third speaker to the cluster in the center above the pulpit?

The manual does not show any fly points for those speakers, so hanging those above the pulpit is a bad idea unless (insert standard issue faith joke here).  That aside and presuming that you're going to use some sort of wall mount pole mount, the manual lists the HF dispersion on each speaker as 90 degrees, for a total of 180 degrees between the two of them.  A third cabinet would not much help here.
This space for rent

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:46:44 PM »

I'm overseeing sound at a small church, and we are about to do a remodel of the sanctuary. This gives opportunity to upgrade our speaker system and location etc. I am looking for input on this.

Currently we meet in a 30' x 40' room with about a 12' high drop ceiling. The pulpit is in the center of the 40' edge, and our 2 speakers are currently mounted in the front corners pointed toward the center of the room.  We expect to take out the drop ceiling and add drywall flat ceiling up to about 14' high. We are thinking of moving the speakers to the center above the pulpit to add a more natural sound. (location of speakers correlating with location of the preacher) The speakers we are using are model Yamaha S12e.

So here's the question. Should we add a third speaker to the cluster in the center above the pulpit? If so, what kind would you recommend based on what we have now? Also, do you agree that we should try to move them to the center above the pulpit? We use the speakers mostly for amplifying the sermon, and also to amplify the voice and guitar of the worship leader (me). We have plenty of horsepower in the amplifiers and lots of options in the sound board (prosonus system)

Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

Hard, flat slabs of ceiling are extremely problematic.  You need to avoid what I think is being proposed.  Speaker positioning is WAY secondary to room acoustics.

Get the room right first.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »

I hope you are planning to replace the sound absorption provided by the drop ceiling. With poor acoustics, even the best sound system will sound bad.

The drop ceiling is not acoustic tiles, but some glossy plastic panels, with flourescent lights intersperced. (angled with slight rise upward from each long edge of room, and ridge goes along the center of the sanctuary longways facing the pulpit) It might be acoustic material, but I'm not sure...

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »

Hard, flat slabs of ceiling are extremely problematic.  You need to avoid what I think is being proposed.  Speaker positioning is WAY secondary to room acoustics.

Get the room right first.

Can you recommend some kind of ceiling material that could help with the echo in there? There is old acoustic tile above the drop ceiling, but not sure what kind of shape it would be in with wires going up into it and all.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 02:40:26 AM »

You will spend thousands to replace the ceiling, then spend hundreds if not a grand or two making the new ceiling sound as good as the old ceiling.  (Or you will suffer a sound that is much worse than you have now.)  Just leave the ceiling be - or raise it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »

You will spend thousands to replace the ceiling, then spend hundreds if not a grand or two making the new ceiling sound as good as the old ceiling.  (Or you will suffer a sound that is much worse than you have now.)  Just leave the ceiling be - or raise it.

The current ceiling is ugly and very dated (1970s) it's this shiny masonite or plastic panels. That's one of the reasons we are even doing the remodel... I don't think it's sound absorption would be very much better than a flat drywall ceiling. Maybe there is a kind of paint that can be used to lessen the sound reflection? or some other material we could look at?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »

The current ceiling is ugly and very dated (1970s) it's this shiny masonite or plastic panels. That's one of the reasons we are even doing the remodel... I don't think it's sound absorption would be very much better than a flat drywall ceiling. Maybe there is a kind of paint that can be used to lessen the sound reflection? or some other material we could look at?

There are two major factors to consider:

Diffusion

Absorption/reflection.

Without going into the obvious things you could learn from Google and actual personal research/effort, I'll second leaving the ceiling as is and replacing the reflective panels with acoustic ones.

DO NOT paint acoustic marpterials.  That merely renders them reflective. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »

We are thinking of moving the speakers to the center above the pulpit to add a more natural sound.

So here's the question. Should we add a third speaker to the cluster in the center above the pulpit? If so, what kind would you recommend based on what we have now? Also, do you agree that we should try to move them to the center above the pulpit?
Adding speakers is very often the WORSE thing you can do-due to the fact that they are interfering with each other.

I would highly consider a SINGLE wide coverage loudspeaker above the pulpit.  MUCH better than 2 of any loudspeaker.

You will have less interference and great localization.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.