ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: DBX DriveRack  (Read 11610 times)

Leo Martin

DBX DriveRack
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »

I have been looking into a dbx Driverack to use as a crossover filter but have recently discovered some have delay capabilities. I am using all powered speakers, so am I limited to using the PX? Or will the other ones work fine. The new PA2 looks like it has everything I need, but I don't know if it will work.
Thanks

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: DBX DriveRack
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »

I have been looking into a dbx Driverack to use as a crossover filter but have recently discovered some have delay capabilities. I am using all powered speakers, so am I limited to using the PX? Or will the other ones work fine. The new PA2 looks like it has everything I need, but I don't know if it will work.
Thanks

Any processor will work.  The main difference between the PX and PA is the number of inputs and outputs.  For powered systems, any bi- or tri-amplification is done internally so you probably don't need as many outputs on the processor.  The PA is slightly more flexible.

For matched powered systems, most of the time you don't need an external crossover at all since crossovers are built into the powered speakers.   Granted, delay, system EQ, and other things can still be helpful.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »

Any of the available driveracks will work fine with powered speakers, because in the end all the driverack does is send out an audio signal which is all your powered rig will need to operate once it has power from a wall outlet.

Just be careful fussing about with crossover/delay settings, as most powered rigs also have built-in processing that is already set up pretty darn well and really only need to be fudged in certain circumstances. No reason to overcomplicate things if you don't have to.

Also, knowing what powered equipment you're using would help.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Leo Martin

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »

Any of the available driveracks will work fine with powered speakers, because in the end all the driverack does is send out an audio signal which is all your powered rig will need to operate once it has power from a wall outlet.

Just be careful fussing about with crossover/delay settings, as most powered rigs also have built-in processing that is already set up pretty darn well and really only need to be fudged in certain circumstances. No reason to overcomplicate things if you don't have to.

Also, knowing what powered equipment you're using would help.

I am using Alto TS115As as tops and (soon) a Yorkville LS801p subwoofer. Neither have built in crossovers, and I am thinking about a 2nd pair of altos to place on delay further back in the room I'm covering.
Thanks for the quick replies!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 03:56:27 PM »

If you're looking to use it for delay fills, you may need to look at the 260 because the PA/PA2 only offer delay between low/mid/high which would not work for fills unless you had a second delay unit, which would just be silly and expensive.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »

I am using Alto TS115As as tops and (soon) a Yorkville LS801p subwoofer. Neither have built in crossovers, and I am thinking about a 2nd pair of altos to place on delay further back in the room I'm covering.
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'd suggest glancing at the LS801p manual, it has on board crossover for itself. That said the thru output is just a full range daisy chain
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »

The DR PX doesn't do delay, just top/sub crossover.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »

If you're looking to use it for delay fills, you may need to look at the 260 because the PA/PA2 only offer delay between low/mid/high which would not work for fills unless you had a second delay unit, which would just be silly and expensive.

You can use the PA for delays.  The 'High' outputs don't have to be 'highs' if you don't want them to.  Any stereo pair of outputs can be high-passed and low-passed at any frequency.  You could HPF both the 'high' and 'mid' outputs at 100hz and delay the 'mids' if you want to. 

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »

You can use the PA for delays.  The 'High' outputs don't have to be 'highs' if you don't want them to.  Any stereo pair of outputs can be high-passed and low-passed at any frequency.  You could HPF both the 'high' and 'mid' outputs at 100hz and delay the 'mids' if you want to.

It only has 10 ms or 11 feet worth of delay. OK for aligning stacks but not much use for delay fills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »

The spec on the DRPA2 lists a total delay of 10ms per channel.  That's about 11 feet of delay.  Not practical for fills.

The flexibility difference by going to the DR260 is night and day. If you're interested, I do have one that I'm trying to get rid of.  $499 shipped, including the RS232 to USB adaptor.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 25 queries.