ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 Channel cat5 snake  (Read 9261 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: 4 Channel cat5 snake
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »

Has anyone used this product before ?  I was thinking about getting a Male and Female for a drive snake.

http://www.markertek.com/CATV-Headend-Interface/CAT-5-Transmission-Systems/Audio-Over-CAT5-Systems/Energy-Transformation-Systems/PA202F.xhtml?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=3786&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=4554532d504132303246&gclid=CIKT6KGJlb4CFexZ7AodASwARQ
No personal experience, but doing simple math means that if they're getting 4 runs from a Cat 5 cable, that means you need to use shielded Cat5 to get a ground at all, and all 4 runs will be grounded together.  Whether this is acceptable depends on your application.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »

Also check out...
http://www.soundtools.com/catsnake.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »

The price seems obscenely high for what it is.  There's nothing inside the box other than a cat 5 jack and 4 XLR connectors.  Maybe at 20 bucks a pair, it would be worth it. At $120 each, it seems a bit obscene.
Brian Jojade

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 02:48:35 AM »

I don't see any benefit to using what really should be designated a stage snake setup. If I had a special application, maybe, but if I'm running extensions or splits I want the security of a good snake on the stage.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 06:59:14 AM »

These would be handy for running com .
Shielded cable would be a must.
You could build them for less but $120 is not unreasonable.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »

I don't see any benefit to using what really should be designated a stage snake setup. If I had a special application, maybe, but if I'm running extensions or splits I want the security of a good snake on the stage.

I used the system shown on Markertek on an industrial show where the client added stuff after all the cabling had been flown.  The video dept put in 2 spare CAT5 runs from techworld to backstage (for projection spare or alternate confidence monitor feed).  The graciously let me use 1 of the runs for the extra audio.

I see these as more of "oh shit, we need to do WHAT?" devices than as infrastructure.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »

I see these as more of "oh shit, we need to do WHAT?" devices than as infrastructure.
+1

Spare lines are always handy; heck, I've done 4ch. of analog, balanced line-level down CAT5 when I needed to get audio between rooms (network hardware was patched around, of course).  It worked great, and I only had to build break-in/break-out adapters, and re-patch from room-to-room via the patchbay.  I still have them in case there's a need to a makeshift 4ch. snake.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 10:37:29 AM »

These would be handy for running com .
Shielded cable would be a must.
You could build them for less but $120 is not unreasonable.
clear-com type analog com acts weird through these.  You do get audio but call light function doesn't work and the whole system acts like it doesn't have enough power.
I was using 500' of unshielded cat-5 so that could have been the issue. 
For audio use it worked flawlessly -it was across sand buried on a beach and I didn't want a couple drive-snakes being exposed to those conditions for the amount of time (days) the show was active.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Cory Ramsey

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:59:25 AM »

They work well. We have many of them that we use for corporate events. No noise issues. . Use the shielded cat5 as mentioned. Also a Cost effective way to fedex a snake to a small show.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 07:59:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.