ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lot's of issues with Mackie Speakers.  (Read 57674 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Lot's of issues with Mackie Speakers.
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »

Whilst I agree to a certain degree with what you are saying, wages in China are considerably lower than the UK, even now.  Of course you have to factor in other elements such as shipping and the fact that in most manufacturing there is less labour content than ever before as more mechanisation is introduced. 
True, true, and true. One factor that is little considered, is that most component makers are also located in China (these days) so when factoring in supply chain lead time, or how short can you make the time between when you decide to reorder some SKU and receive them in your warehouse, locating the final assembly close to the component makers can shave weeks off the lead time. Manufacturing the finished goods in GB or wherever even with large amounts of automation, would still need to buy the parts and wait for the boat ride.

Another factor is for global manufacturers to service the entire world market, not just US or Euro zone. You already have to pay shipping to get the product to the third country. If you can ship the western branded product direct from China to a distributer in the third country vs. shipping from the US or GB the economics are very attractive.   
When I was a kid it took about 30 men 2 weeks to build a car, now its probably less than 5, this also opens up a whole can of worms in that making "stuff" is relatively easy these days, finding enough people willing to pay a price at which you can make a decent margin is getting tougher all the time, perhaps that is why so many top line audi names have either dissapeared or been absorbed into two or three big audio conglamerates.

The automobile industry is a very mature and interesting example. There has long been government "help" with their thumb on the scale trying to support each nation's local industry (jobs) and the result is too much capacity, not to mention all the market distortions that never end well. When we have too many factories and too many brands , something has to give.

Getting back sort of on topic. I notice that the major car companies have started building car factories in Africa.  I suspect they will import transmissions and major assemblies from elsewhere to start out.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »

]

Of course, after buying used and uninformed, the OP obviously has little recourse other than bashing the whole product line on an open forum based on preconceived geographic/geopolitical biases.
Where exactly did I BASH the ENTIRE Product line ?? you can read correct ? I said ACTIVE SPEAKER LINE...
Uninformed ?? So you are calling me stupid basically huh ?
For your information I Looked at the specs and these were the next step up from what I had so I was not "Uninformed" except for the fact that the quality has obviously declined from what I originally had. If the speaker I had basically worked fine for 4 yrs of punishment of 2-3 gigs a week on avergane and I lost one LF driver in 4 yrs then how is going to the next size up the wrong choice or uninformed or me expecting more than I should ???? Expecting more than I should Expecting more than I should  ....
Again someone please explain that statement that has been made here more than once.
The one's I had worked but but I wanted the next size up to allow a bit more headroom and not always have to push the speakers.

I SAID I have had good luck in the past with Mackie.

That said I am more displeased since trying to repair them. The diaphragms are not serviceable on the later Chinese made HF drivers which is what I have. The older ones could be repaired. These are throw a ways and it cost me 110$ plus 35$ expedited shipping to get a new HF driver.
If I didn't pay the 35$ extorted fee The driver would not even be shipped for 10 days. That is not customer service, that is extortion. I will probably sell these and look at the ART series. Part availability and price certainly need to play a factor.
I am not in a position to buy "pro" gear. I don't do this for a living.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:58:21 PM by Kenny Deal »

Kenny Deal

« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »

Making loud music with all the instruments in the mix typically requires more than speakers on sticks over a 1 x 15" sub, even in fairly small spaces for a couple hundred pax.  The Lounge is replete with users/owners who expect more performance than their budget allows, but whatever shortcomings or failures must surely be the fault of the gear, right?

Caveat emptor.

What some of you guys don't seem to get is alot of these bars DON'T WANT it that loud. so yes a 1x15 on a stick IS enough. Basically the PA need to be just a little bit more than the stage volume. That's it. You CANNOT go into these places with a huge sound system and expect to play there again. THEY DON'T want it. In fact some places we don't even use the subs. I mic the vox and gtr only and keep that even with stage volume of drums and bass. Believe me , it works. These places are not Madison Square Garden. Bar bands cannot afford 10,000$ sound systems and cannot pay 400$ for a sound rental. It just does not work in small venues. Anyplace bigger than that that we play generally has house sound.
200 people in the place...lol  I wish. The bars around here have not seen that in a long time. If there are 50 people in the place that is a good night. Stepped up DUI , the economy and the smoking ban all but killed it.

Kenny Deal

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2012, 09:10:43 PM »

Well I wanted to update this. I found a few things out. The church that had these before me was using the full range through pass from the Sub to the tops effectively bypassing the crossover in the sub. Probably hitting the tops/horns with too much low. Also I have slowly replaced both Horns with older EAW Drivers from the 1st Gen SA1521s and got rid of the Chinese ones. There is a noticeable difference in sound clarity. I had both amps repaired and they put silicone around the caps that come loose. I have done about 30 Gigs since and have had no issues with them. Fingers crossed...

John John Dufour (JJDu4)

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2014, 01:52:41 PM »

I know this is a old post but I purchased a complete set of the Mackie SRM550's along with a pair of SRM1850's and I have honestly been blown away with the power and sound of these boxes. These are suppose to be built with the help of EAW and from the way they sound I'd guess that is correct.  Again I just wanted to add to this old discussion that I believe Mackie is now headed back in the right direction of things!  I've bought ALOT of speakers here these last few months from JBL to EV and a few others and these new Mackies are sweet!  Plus they cost quite a bit less than the JBL's and the EV's! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2014, 01:52:41 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.