ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen and Health ME vs Roland M48  (Read 5918 times)

Nicholas Bailey

Allen and Health ME vs Roland M48
« on: June 07, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »

Hi Guys,

I am working on a preposal for my church.

Our current system is a Yamaha M7-48 at FOH driving 6 stereo in-ears and 4 mono in-ears.  The mic lines from the stage connect to the M7 through a Aviom Pro64 snake.

I think that a gl80 driving MEs or a M-200 driving the the M48 mixers both could fit the need cabled as a seperate monitor board.

I am looking for a solution that gives the band control over 40 input channels.

From the promo videos I have watched on youtube both look competive.

Looks like the biggest avantage to the Allen an heath is the ability of the band member to adjust the mix of the group of inputs sent to the particular key.  The biggest dissavantage is it does not have a eq setting for each of the selectable keys that mix together to make the final mix.

The Roland avantage is that is does have a eq for each of the 16 knobs that control the 16 groups.  The biggest disavantage is the sound tech has to edit the group of inputs sent to each knob

What other things have you noticed that have actually used the systems?

Using either system do you have a channel strip with eq and processing that is used before it is sent to the personal monitors controls.

The preposal one of the large internet mail order companies put together had us replacing the aviom pro64 snake with the roland s-4000 stage boxes and getting into the M7 through the MADI bridge.  The things that concerned me about this is then we would be sharing a preamp between FOH and the monitor system.  I have read here that using one stage box to feed to mixers were not the best solution.

Anyone here after getting a personal mixer system gone back to a configuration that has a actual monitor tech driving the monitors.

Thanks for your time

Nick Bailey

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: Allen and Health ME vs Roland M48
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »

Hi Guys,

Our current system is a Yamaha M7-48 at FOH driving 6 stereo in-ears and 4 mono in-ears.  The mic lines from the stage connect to the M7 through a Aviom Pro64 snake.

I think that a gl80 driving MEs or a M-200 driving the the M48 mixers both could fit the need cabled as a seperate monitor board.

Looks like the biggest avantage to the Allen an heath is the ability of the band member to adjust the mix of the group of inputs sent to the particular key.  The biggest dissavantage is it does not have a eq setting for each of the selectable keys that mix together to make the final mix.

The Roland avantage is that is does have a eq for each of the 16 knobs that control the 16 groups.  The biggest disavantage is the sound tech has to edit the group of inputs sent to each knob

Using either system do you have a channel strip with eq and processing that is used before it is sent to the personal monitors controls.

The preposal one of the large internet mail order companies put together had us replacing the aviom pro64 snake with the roland s-4000 stage boxes and getting into the M7 through the MADI bridge.  The things that concerned me about this is then we would be sharing a preamp between FOH and the monitor system.  I have read here that using one stage box to feed to mixers were not the best solution.

Anyone here after getting a personal mixer system gone back to a configuration that has a actual monitor tech driving the monitors.

Thanks for your time

Nick Bailey

M-200i is only 32 channels, FYI. Need an M-480 for more than 32.

You can remotely control the S4000s using either this: http://www.rolandsystemsgroup.com/products/100026 or a PC.

I've used a Roland board but not a GLD. I like the GLD better on paper.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your time

Nick Bailey

I've not used the A&H system but have used the Roland one a lot.On the Roland rig you are probably better just using the remote software, and a computer to patch whatever goes to each pod, unless you are going to drive wedges as well, if you need the capability to send all 40 chanels to the wedges then you'll need the M480.  If the band has less than 16 types of input the tou just send each type of input to a dedicated encoder ie

1-kik,2-snare,3-Hat,4- Toms mix 5-cymbals,6-bass,7-all guitar hero one's guitars,8-all even louder guitar hero's guitars,9-keys,10-lead vox1,11-vox2,12-aux from  foh with choir mix,13 aux from FOH pastor mic, etc. I've found once the inputs are patched and any sub mixing sorted that the band can be prety much left alone, just make sure they know where their sound comes from explain that they only need the minimum amount of things turned up, make sure they know how to store scenes for the various times Jimmy our guitar hero swaps guitars or some other drastic change. Finally make sure that they have GOOD head sets cheapo phone ones don't work.

You can of course get all complicated and set up each pod differently but most times a generic patch is more than adequate, one tip name every input channel accurately so that when it comes to assigning the channels to an encoder you know where you are.
The one pre amp thing is not as much of an issue as it is with wedges you just have to be careful during setup, I try and get the levels sorted before I unmute the send to the pods to avoid sore ears.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your time

Nick Bailey

Why are you wanting to replace the console and add a monitor system instead of just adding the personal monitor system?

The MADI Bridge is discontinued.  Current stock only.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Nicholas Bailey

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:32:50 PM »

Why are you wanting to replace the console and add a monitor system instead of just adding the personal monitor system?

The MADI Bridge is discontinued.  Current stock only.

Lee

Sorry Lee, I am not wanting to replace the Yamaha M7.

I am wanting to add a personal monitor system with the ability for the black box on the stage to have access to all the inputs that also go to the M7.  I know that both options some will be a group of one channel and some will be a group of several to each control.  I missed the point that the Roland 200 was only 32 channel.  When I started pricing stuff it appeared that a mixer driving the M48 would be cheaper that the s-4000 boxes.  I do have in place a isolated distro that leaves the passive outs of the Aviom Pro64, so that was why I was looking at a seperate mixer to drive the personal monitors.  If there is another way to impliment a high channel count in-ear system please let me know.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:38:13 PM by Nicholas Bailey »

Gabe Terrado

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:34:14 PM »

Sorry Lee, I am not wanting to replace the Yamaha M7.

I am wanting to add a personal monitor system with the ability for the black box on the stage to have access to all the inputs that also go to the M7.  I know that both options some will be a group of one channel and some will be a group of several to each control.  I missed the point that the Roland 200 was only 32 channel.  When I started pricing stuff it appeared that a mixer driving the M48 would be cheaper that the s-4000 boxes.  I do have in place a isolated distro that leaves the passive outs of the Aviom Pro64, so that was why I was looking at a seperate mixer to drive the personal monitors.  If there is another way to impliment a high channel count in-ear system please let me know.

Bump...

Did you ever decide on a personal monitoring system?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber