ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: sound for streaming live to internet  (Read 9011 times)

Garrett Nelson

Re: sound for streaming live to internet
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 07:48:28 AM »

Based on the advice given I have done quite a bit of searching, but haven't found a lot of relevant results. If anyone has any specific links I would appreciate it.

Any suggestions on what type of mics would be good for ambient pickup? Let's assume they have to be mounted at the back of the church near the mixer, it is elevated about 15 feet up in a small loft area.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 07:55:35 AM »

Based on the advice given I have done quite a bit of searching, but haven't found a lot of relevant results. If anyone has any specific links I would appreciate it.

Any suggestions on what type of mics would be good for ambient pickup? Let's assume they have to be mounted at the back of the church near the mixer, it is elevated about 15 feet up in a small loft area.

What mics do you have on hand?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »

I can't give any specifics on mic selection for rear-mount, but I find that a cardioid mic mounted near the front aimed toward the congregation provides better ambience of congregational singing (just try standing near the front when they're singing, then compare that to standing in the back and you'll see what I mean) as you will get more direct vocal sound. Positioned in the back, much of the sound picked up by the mics is reflected. By using cardioid mics, you can minimize the amount of sound from the stage (which should be picked up by on-stage microphones anyway) and loudspeakers picked up by the mics.

It has been mentioned that there will be a time delay effect of rear-placed microphones as direct sound from the stage mics will be followed shortly by direct and reproduced sound from the ambiance mics, due to the time it takes for sound to get from FOH to the mics. Placing the ambiance mics near the front pointed toward the congregation minimizes this effect, but you still get the reflected sound which is what makes it sound like you are in a large room rather than an acoustically dead studio. However, front placement WILL increase the noticeability of crowd noises such as talking and coughing.

Yes, even though it sounds like you've pretty much settled on rear-mount, I'm still advocating for front mount. I firmly believe the results will be more pleasing.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Ryan M. Fluharty

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 02:59:03 PM »

So, my church streams services to the internet. Currently using livestream.com but having some problems there so we may possibly move to a different service.

Currently, the sound is not so great and I would like to improve that.

Any thoughts here? How do other churches handle this? The church I came from previously used option 4, but we had a fairly compact mixer that let us get away with it.

I run a livestream mix out of a post aux for a young adult's ministry at church.  Given I'm on an M7CL, so I have a little more tools available at my disposal, the mix sounds anywhere from "ok" to "pretty decent."  If you are one of the main people actually doing the house mixing, give your stream a listen to if you post your videos online.  I've found that after a few weeks I know where my aux levels need to be to get a well rounded broadcast mix based on how the house is sounding.  We are in a flex space of the church, so our ambient mic is just a dynamic on a mic stand sitting on the side of the stage pointing out to the audience.  I usually keep it higher for worship and turn it down a bit during preaching.

We do run a compressor on the main broadcast out just to help even out the levels a bit more.

You should be able to get a decent mix based on trial & error and experience.

Garrett Nelson

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 07:56:04 PM »

Yes, even though it sounds like you've pretty much settled on rear-mount, I'm still advocating for front mount. I firmly believe the results will be more pleasing.

Thanks for your advice. My mind is certainly not made up and I appreciate your help.

I'm not in charge of any of this, and I don't even run sound here (yet) but I do run the camera sometimes. Just hoping to be as informed as I can be before attempting to discuss changes with the people involved.

Not sure if we have any extra mics available or not. I will see what is sitting around.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:56:49 PM by Garrett Nelson »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 07:56:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.