ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for some (permanent) solutions to Aviom channels  (Read 3729 times)

Josh Hana

Looking for some (permanent) solutions to Aviom channels
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »

Hi all, I'm working at a portable church that meets in a high school auditorium every week. We've been using a Midas Pro2C for about a year now and we're really happy with it. We're using the DN9650 Network bridge with an aviom card as our monitor setup. All musicians on stage are using the A-16ii aviom controllers and iems.

Everything is peachy, but we're starting to run out of channels, and I'm trying to come up with a solution that doesn't involve repatching by song/scene which is what I've been doing. It's not an issue for me or the band, but I'm not always the one mixing the service. Usually, but not always. Not all of the other engineers are comfortable using scenes per song, and/or repatching aviom channels, especially during a service. I've slowly been building groups to use as stems, but I'm running out of options.
Here are our current inputs

Kick
Snare
Hat
T1-4
OH L/R
Percussion*
Click
(mono) tracks
Bass DI
SL Electric
SL Acoustic
SR Electric
SR Acoustic*
GTR 3*
Key 1 L/R
Key 2 L/R
Guest inst 1*
Guest inst 2*
Lead vox
Vox 2
Vox 3
Vox 4*
Vox 5*
Vox 6*
Pastor 1
Pastor 2
Video playback L/R

Our current 16 aviom channels:
Kick
Snare
Hat
Toms/OH(mix)
Bass (mix)
WL electric
WL acoustic
Gtr 2 (mix of SL electric and acoustic)
Keys (mix)
Vox verb
lead vox
vox 2
vox 3
vox 4-6 mix (mix with pastors and talkbacks)
Click
Track (mix of track and video playback)

* are inputs that aren't used every week. We have a lot of other spares, including things like Mandolin, Banjo, upright bass, violin, synth, ect... These have been patched in as-needed but I'd like an easier way for the other engineers to be able to add them without having to directly repatch one of the 16 aviom channels. I'd like to mix hat into the drum subgroup to open up a channel, but the WL has been asking about ambiance mics for the iems, so if we add those, we're back to being full. I'd also like to come up with a better option for talkback since not everyone needs or wants the BGVs in their mix, I don't always catch everybody on stage.

Right now, I only have a few auxes available, and one would go to a mixdown of ambient mics.
I think if I could get a totally open channel on the aviom, I would set it as a rotating channel sourced from an aux output. That way should be easy enough for the other engis to just add a channel to the "Aviom spare" aux as needed. That should be simple enough, right?

Are there any other options I'm missing here? Ideally if I could add just 2 inputs to a single aviom channel without eating up an aux on the console, that would be ideal but I'm not sure that's possible with our setup. And yes, I've asked about the new aviom systems but that's not going to happen for a long time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:23:21 AM by Josh Hana »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Looking for some (permanent) solutions to Aviom channels
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »

Hi all, I'm working at a portable church that meets in a high school auditorium every week. We've been using a Midas Pro2C for about a year now and we're really happy with it. We're using the DN9650 Network bridge with an aviom card as our monitor setup. All musicians on stage are using the A-16ii aviom controllers and iems.

Everything is peachy, but we're starting to run out of channels, and I'm trying to come up with a solution that doesn't involve repatching by song/scene which is what I've been doing. It's not an issue for me or the band, but I'm not always the one mixing the service. Usually, but not always. Not all of the other engineers are comfortable using scenes per song, and/or repatching aviom channels, especially during a service. I've slowly been building groups to use as stems, but I'm running out of options.

Kick
Snare
Hat
T1-4
OH L/R
Percussion*
Click
(mono) tracks
Bass DI
SL Electric
SL Acoustic
SR Electric
SR Acoustic*
GTR 3*
Key 1 L/R
Key 2 L/R
Guest inst 1*
Guest inst 2*
Lead vox
Vox 2
Vox 3
Vox 4*
Vox 5*
Vox 6*
Pastor 1
Pastor 2
Video playback L/R

Kick
Snare
Hat
Toms/OH(mix)
Bass (mix)
WL electric
WL acoustic
Keys (mix)
Vox verb
lead vox
vox 2
vox 3
Click

* are inputs that aren't used every week. We have a lot of other spares, including things like Mandolin, Banjo, upright bass, violin, synth, ect... These have been patched in as-needed but I'd like an easier way for the other engineers to be able to add them without having to directly repatch one of the 16 aviom channels. I'd like to mix hat into the drum subgroup to open up a channel, but the WL has been asking about ambiance mics for the iems, so if we add those, we're back to being full. I'd also like to come up with a better option for talkback since not everyone needs or wants the BGVs in their mix, I don't always catch everybody on stage.

Right now, I only have a few auxes available, and one would go to a mixdown of ambient mics.
I think if I could get a totally open channel on the aviom, I would set it as a rotating channel sourced from an aux output. That way should be easy enough for the other engis to just add a channel to the "Aviom spare" aux as needed. That should be simple enough, right?

Are there any other options I'm missing here? Ideally if I could add just 2 inputs to a single aviom channel without eating up an aux on the console, that would be ideal but I'm not sure that's possible with our setup. And yes, I've asked about the new aviom systems but that's not going to happen for a long time.

You may have to group some channels together.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »

This is my planned layout for when we integrate the Behringer P-16s:

P16 channels   Source type
Drums L      Mono AUX
Drums R      Mono AUX
Bass         Direct Out
Guitar 1      Direct Out
Guitar 2      Direct Out
Acoustic      Direct Out
Synth         Direct Out
Keys         Mono AUX
Lead Vox 1      Direct Out
Lead Vox 2      Direct Out
Lead Vox 3      Direct Out
BGV         Mono AUX
Spk Wrd      Mono AUX
Talkback      Direct Out
Playback      Mono AUX
Click Track      Direct Out
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 06:21:55 PM »

Kick
Snare
Hat
T1-4
OH L/R
Percussion*
Click
(mono) tracks
Bass DI
SL Electric
SL Acoustic
SR Electric
SR Acoustic*
GTR 3*
Key 1 L/R
Key 2 L/R
Guest inst 1*
Guest inst 2*
Lead vox
Vox 2
Vox 3
Vox 4*
Vox 5*
Vox 6*
Pastor 1
Pastor 2
Video playback L/R

Kick
Snare
Hat
Toms/OH(mix)
Bass (mix)
WL electric
WL acoustic
Keys (mix)
Vox verb
lead vox
vox 2
vox 3
Click

What are you using your sixes for right now that you don't have any left?
I have always sub mixed my drum through a aux
Do you have 2 different WL I would submit those too
I typically submix the BGV VOX also

A little more of your current aux layout might help.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Gabe Terrado

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »

Hi Josh,

Can you explain how you're interfacing your DN9650 to A-Net?  Thanks in advance...

Doug Hammel

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »

Kick
Snare
Hat
T1-4
OH L/R
Percussion*
Click
(mono) tracks
Bass DI
SL Electric
SL Acoustic
SR Electric
SR Acoustic*
GTR 3*
Key 1 L/R
Key 2 L/R
Guest inst 1*
Guest inst 2*
Lead vox
Vox 2
Vox 3
Vox 4*
Vox 5*
Vox 6*
Pastor 1
Pastor 2
Video playback L/R

Kick
Snare
Hat
Toms/OH(mix)
Bass (mix)
WL electric
WL acoustic
Keys (mix)
Vox verb
lead vox
vox 2
vox 3
Click

We have our drums as a mono drum mix off an aux for now into one channel on the Aviom and then we have a "global mix" for whatever needs to be heard but is not always needed each week which also comes off of an aux into a Aviom channel. Ambient mics are a must with iem systems. You are right 16 is just not enough.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:18:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.