ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New DI purchasing advice  (Read 17957 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: New DI purchasing advice
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »

It is my opinion that the majority of DIs are too big.  I plan to see if I can make a phantom powered only version which will fit in an XLR barrel so it will be the same size as an XLR to jack convertor.

Not so good for folk from the US, but Orchid Electronics in the UK (well regarded by many including me for their cheap but good DIs) make the Micro DI which is simple (just jack in, XLR out) and great for those times where you don't need a link out.  A good price too!

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2014, 10:10:29 AM »

A negative for me on these is the top mounted I/O.  Much prefer the Radial/Countryman/99% of the rest of the DIs out there where it's on the ends.

Best regards,

John

The LBP DI is very small and light.  therefor as soon as you plug in a XLR and 1/3 in plug it will tip over on it's side. 

In use it is always on it's side with both cables coming out in the same direction so it takes up less room then a conventional layout with cables coming out each end.
http://lbpinc.com/both-DIs.jpg

I'm the guy who makes them
Not to Code

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »

Not so good for folk from the US, but Orchid Electronics in the UK (well regarded by many including me for their cheap but good DIs) make the Micro DI which is simple (just jack in, XLR out) and great for those times where you don't need a link out.  A good price too!

That's more like it.  No need to be any bigger than that.  And it's a good price... and I'm in the UK so I might buy one!

Steve.

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:38 AM »

Hello all. We are needing to purchase new DI's this summer to replace a large (10+) inventory of old/broken Countryman Type 85's. These have been repaired multiple times and continue to fail. They are used 3 times a week but only go from the work-box (stored in a closet) to the stage. Needless to say, I am not happy about the durability and reliability of the Countryman's.

What I'm looking for is a durable, universal, and quality sounding DI. We are looking at Radials as I've heard good things and am leaning towards the J-DI. We are also considering the Whirlwind IMP JT. We have a large inventory of Whirlwind IMP-2's for small system events and rarely have any problems out of those.

Are there any other DI's I should consider? Any experience with the ones mentioned above?
Thanks guys!

I haven't tried them before, but I've heard good things about the EWI LDB-101.  I've heard they are on par sound wise with the Countryman.

I have a Countryman in my emergency bag.  Never had a problem with it.  Always there when I need it... which was usually when the bass player's rig broke down.  Of all things, I have one of those Behringer dual channel DI's I use for our drummer's trigger module.  I'd been using it for 9+ years without a single problem.

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »

I've had great service out of these too.  They are relatively cheap too.
Live-Wire-PDI-Double-Shielded Heavy Duty Passive Direct Box

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »

as a Lounge guy... you can't beat the EWI/Audiopile DI's...

I'm a user of:
FDB-101
FDB-202
LDB-101
DBRC-2A
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.