ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The band was ecstatic with the sound but...  (Read 6803 times)

Mark McFarlane

Re: The band was ecstatic with the sound but...
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 07:04:18 AM »

There are always exceptions:

Back about '77 I got hired to play upright bass in a bluegrass band that had landed a regular gig at a downtown club.  St Paul after dark was pretty much dead, but after a couple of weeks wr were pretty much packing the place, overwhelming the limited wait staff.  People were spending money faster than it could be rung up.  So...

Instead of hiring second bartender and more waitresses, they fired us. 

Turns out the place was actually owned by a large hotel chain, running it at a loss for tax purposes.  When the band made it profitable they lost their write-off and closed up shop.

Things are not always what they seem...

too funny, in a sad kind of way.
Mark McFarlane

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 01:36:08 PM »

There are always exceptions:

Back about '77 I got hired to play upright bass in a bluegrass band that had landed a regular gig at a downtown club.  St Paul after dark was pretty much dead, but after a couple of weeks wr were pretty much packing the place, overwhelming the limited wait staff.  People were spending money faster than it could be rung up.  So...

Instead of hiring second bartender and more waitresses, they fired us. 

Turns out the place was actually owned by a large hotel chain, running it at a loss for tax purposes.  When the band made it profitable they lost their write-off and closed up shop.

Things are not always what they seem...

That does make for a great story, but I'm sure it's also quite rare.

Couple weeks ago, the band I just started mixing played a really small bar.  They are rock/country blend and typically pretty loud.  All the guys dialed back on "stage" (on the floor in a corner) and the drummer softened up his playing.  The bass player, who is a good friend of mine and has been playing since the 70's, said the stage sound that night was the best he's ever experienced.

At one point in the last set, when I had turned up just a bit, the owner came over to me and asked if it was a bit loud.  Before I even had a chance to answer, he said, "Oh well, you'd know better than me."  I asked the bar manager and she said he had asked her the same thing.  Her reply to the owner was "hell no, these guys are great!"
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »

Couple weeks ago, the band I just started mixing played a really small bar.  They are rock/country blend and typically pretty loud.  All the guys dialed back on "stage" (on the floor in a corner) and the drummer softened up his playing.  The bass player, who is a good friend of mine and has been playing since the 70's, said the stage sound that night was the best he's ever experienced.
I have a long list of local musicians I have worked with who have had similar experiences when stage volumes are lowered as much as possible. Yes, challenging with acoustic drums in small clubs, but a good drummer can still affect that positively. I've told many bands that they don't need a 4x12 behind them flapping their pant legs so the audience can hear them.. that's what a PA is designed for. Some listened and benefited. Many left no wiser.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 26 queries.