ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound without mics?  (Read 6158 times)

Taylor Phillips

Re: Sound without mics?
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:49:28 PM »

Regarding the Green 'signal' LED on each channel, these are typically post-preamp pre-everything else. Exactly where depends on the console, but they're typically pre-fader, and usually pre-mute. This can be changed on some analog consoles, and on many digital ones. In your case, they're right between the EQ and the Mute. So if you've got anything connected and sending audio, it'll show up on the meter, irrelevant of the mute/fader positions.
Of course, if the signal LED is on, with no sound coming in...then you have issues.
They come on solid green whenever a channel is unmuted, even on channels with nothing connected.  They've worked correctly twice, when I first set up the console, and the first day the sound equipment was connected to its own dedicated electrical circuit. I figured it was some issue with the power.  I have the console plugged into the power thingamijig in the rack (not sure if it's a power conditioner not) and turn everything off and on from there.  I tried plugging the console straight into the wall and using the power switch, but it still does the same thing.

Jim Thorn

• State College, PA
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 02:45:10 AM »

Taylor,

Thank you for reporting your findings!  I get really curious about the real cause of a problem when I have offered  what I hope to be helpful speculation.  It's good to know that you found the source !

Jim Thorn

It was a PFL button on one of the channels that was engaged.  The electronics in the board don't quite do right I guess, so the PFL light by the headphone volume knob doesn't come on when a PFL is engaged like it's supposed to.  The green "signal" LED's also light up fully when a channel is unmuted instead of only coming on when the channel passes signal also.  These things might all be related to the slight popping sound that happens when unmuting certain channels.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 02:45:10 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.