ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Conditioner vs UPS vs Regulator for digital board  (Read 4147 times)

Maidson Pierre Louis

Power Conditioner vs UPS vs Regulator for digital board
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »

I just pick up my Soundcraft Si 3 today.

I want to know if i really need Power Conditioner "UPS" or Regulator.

I already have a Power distro. A dedicate 20A for the Front of House. Base on your experience what you will recommend.
Maidia Event Productions

Jbl SRX722, SRX712, SRX718, EV, EAW. RoLand JC120, Crown Itech, Crown Xti, DBx, Denon, Mac Book Pro, M-Audio , Motion Labs, Ewi, On Stage, Ampeg, Yamaha Drum, SoundCraft expression 3 etc ...

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Power Conditioner vs UPS vs Regulator for digital board
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »

I just pick up my Soundcraft Si 3 today.

I want to know if i really need Power Conditioner "UPS" or Regulator.

I already have a Power distro. A dedicate 20A for the Front of House. Base on your experience what you will recommend.

The first time a power dropout or interruption causes your digital board to reboot, you'll really wish you had a UPS on the board. That 30 to 60 seconds of booting back up will seem like a REALLY long time.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »

The first time a power dropout or interruption causes your digital board to reboot, you'll really wish you had a UPS on the board. That 30 to 60 seconds of booting back up will seem like a REALLY long time.

+1.  Had a child pull the FOH cable at a festival last year.  It's amazing that I got away for a decade without that ever happening.   Went out and bought a UPS.  You don't need a very large one to feed a digital console. The downside for me, more than the cost, is the extra weight for a rack case and UPS (35-40lbs for a small UPS in a wood case).

On the flip side, now that I have a digital snake my DSP is on stage, so I really need 2 UPS systems, although the DSP reboot is faster than the console.
Mark McFarlane

Maidson Pierre Louis

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »

+1.  Had a child pull the FOH cable at a festival last year.  It's amazing that I got away for a decade without that ever happening.   Went out and bought a UPS.  You don't need a very large one to feed a digital console. The downside for me, more than the cost, is the extra weight for a rack case and UPS (35-40lbs for a small UPS in a wood case).

On the flip side, now that I have a digital snake my DSP is on stage, so I really need 2 UPS systems, although the DSP reboot is faster than the console.

thank's for the info.

I recalled someone in this forum stating that APC is not a good brand and a good investment when it comes to music.

FURMAN F1000-UPS

Tripp Lite 500VA 300W UPS
Tripp-Lite SmartPro SMART750RM1U 750VA 450W

APC SMT750RM2U 750 VA 500 Watts
APC SMART-UPS 1500 SUA1500RM2U
Maidia Event Productions

Jbl SRX722, SRX712, SRX718, EV, EAW. RoLand JC120, Crown Itech, Crown Xti, DBx, Denon, Mac Book Pro, M-Audio , Motion Labs, Ewi, On Stage, Ampeg, Yamaha Drum, SoundCraft expression 3 etc ...

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 12:07:28 AM »

I bought one of the small Smart Pro Tripplite units.  I've only had it for 4 months so I can't comment on longevity, but it works as intended  in testing: yank the cord, no console reboot.
Mark McFarlane

Nate Armstrong

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »

in the IT world , I have had much more success with Tripp-Lite than APC.  I have purchased maybe 40 UPS's over the years..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.