ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablet for performance manager  (Read 3527 times)

Dave Horo

Tablet for performance manager
« on: June 17, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »

What does everyone use to run Performance Manager these days?  I'm putting together a VERTEC system and want a new tablet to control everything, but I'm having trouble finding something with a touchscreen that meets the recommended performance specifications.  I even called Harman for advice and got the surprising response of "we don't know what people use in the field" and "we think most people use laptops with a mouse."

Surely a laptop with a mouse is a poor compromise.

Are the Motion Computing tablets still the only game in town, or is there something else I should be looking at?
 - Dave

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Tablet for performance manager
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:37 PM »

What does everyone use to run Performance Manager these days?  I'm putting together a VERTEC system and want a new tablet to control everything, but I'm having trouble finding something with a touchscreen that meets the recommended performance specifications.  I even called Harman for advice and got the surprising response of "we don't know what people use in the field" and "we think most people use laptops with a mouse."

Surely a laptop with a mouse is a poor compromise.

Are the Motion Computing tablets still the only game in town, or is there something else I should be looking at?
 - Dave

I think Dell, among others, is building Core i3 tablets about the size of the original iPad, 64 or 128GB SSD, 4 GB RAM, USB3, dual band wireless, Win8.1... will extract $800-$1k+ from your wallet depending on configuration.  Another possibility might be the 'swivel screen' ultra-books with touch screens.

I'm a big Motion Computing fan and consider them to be commercial grade units, but they're expensive unless you don't mind buying used.  Off lease units seem to sell for about 50% of new price unless they're base models (minimal RAM, slower processor) or have damage.  Can still be ordered new with Win7.  When compared with smaller tablet offerings the Motion machines seem big & heavy, too, but they're potentially desktop replacements in 3lbs.  http://www.motioncomputing.com/us/products/rugged-tablets/r12#specs is one such machine.  With Win7, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD the online price at CDW is about $2600.

FWIW, I'm still running Audio Architect on my Motion 1600, Core 2 Duo w/2GB RAM.  Takes a bit to load but it runs well enough.  Not sure what would happen with Performance Manager, though.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 08:34:31 AM »

I am using an Lenovo X230 tablet for all things audio including the brother to performance manager ... Audio architect. I have thought about switching the performance manager but can't justify the personal expense as a freelancer, especially as my AA skills are quite advanced.  Whatever computer you use, a SSD will be the ticket.

I went from a x61 tablet to a x230 tablet without having tried the Motion Computing stuff... So I really can't make a direct comparison. 

I also run an X230 (non tablet) at FOH for Smaart/Systune etc. I found the picking up the two similar machines to be quite nice. Matched resolutions in Remote Desktop applications is a plus, as well as overall consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Craig Hoerig

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »

Been using different generations of system architect for the last 5 years on a motion computing 1600 single core 1.5mhz , with the piggyback battery ,a bit slow but in the environment that we work can always count on this tablet , Seems that  MC is not that concerned with CPU Speed , Great durability and feature set though.  Last year purchased used a Fujitsu Life Book 4420  2.53 mhz duo core / win 7 ultra , This machine burns using any of the Harman or RCF Software , has a bay for extra battery  , battery life with 2 batterys is 3 hours at least . The downside of this variant is screen is a bit dark/dim . Bought a few more tablets that were for parts only hoping that the one I had ,had a burned screen , but all three were the same. The 4420 has a super processor ,So perhaps a newer model of the Life Book series  will address the screen problem.    Also I would recommend what ever you purchase you need a stylus . I have tried using finger touch screens for this use , no way  fingers way to big to do needed operations .   

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »

I am using an Lenovo X230 tablet for all things audio including the brother to performance manager ... Audio architect. I have thought about switching the performance manager but can't justify the personal expense as a freelancer, especially as my AA skills are quite advanced.  Whatever computer you use, a SSD will be the ticket.

I went from a x61 tablet to a x230 tablet without having tried the Motion Computing stuff... So I really can't make a direct comparison. 

I also run an X230 (non tablet) at FOH for Smaart/Systune etc. I found the picking up the two similar machines to be quite nice. Matched resolutions in Remote Desktop applications is a plus, as well as overall consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Also using X61s and X230s for everything from Audio Architect to Lightjockey. Bought them off lease.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Karen Furno

• Panama City, FL
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »

Been running System Architect forever on my Fujitsu T5010 convertible laptop.  Performance Manager works fine on it, but the license sits on a company ASUS laptop, where it runs great.  The touchpad/tap/click is all I've ever needed to bring up, tune, and monitor our Vertec rig.  The stylus has been needed on my Fujitsu when I run Yamaha consoles remotely with Studio Manager, but my iPad works better now with their StageMix apps.  I have Win7 on the laptops, and the best thing I ever did for my Fujitsu was convert to SSD hard drive.  No more head crashes, and way faster.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.