ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qu-16 vs. 01v96i  (Read 11942 times)

Craig Smith

Qu-16 vs. 01v96i
« on: May 03, 2014, 03:09:00 AM »

I hesitate to post this but I honestly couldn't find any posts comparing the two mixers.  Tell me to go read some books if need be.

About 1.5 years ago I bought an 01v96i.  It's an amazing piece of equipment and not as hard to use as I thought it would be, although it's bitten me a couple times.  I don't use it that often so have to re-familiarize myself with it a little each time.  And there are a few things it doesn't have or I don't like.

There are now many options in that category, and I'm looking in particular at the Qu-16.  I'll have to spend several weeks reading the manual and posts, but I'm wondering if any former 01v users now have a Qu-16 and have any particular comments.

Thanks.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
Re: Qu-16 vs. 01v96i
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:20:48 AM »

For my 01V96 replacement Im looking at the Qu-24 myself (will actually allow 24 channels via d-snake, unlike the Qu-16). From my readings the Qu series seems much more straight ahead than the 01, like the other new dig introductions, they seem to have condensed as much as possible on to the control surface - so if you can twiddle rack knobs, you now just have to push a select button first then twiddle away. By comparison, on the 01 Im using a laptop and Studiomanager for control 100% of the time - I never use the 01's hardware knobs.

The only thing Im not liking about the Qus is the channel mute mechanism with sends... I need to read more about that....

Here's Dicks thread on the 16:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=145634.0

Mike

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »

I hesitate to post this but I honestly couldn't find any posts comparing the two mixers.  Tell me to go read some books if need be.

About 1.5 years ago I bought an 01v96i.  It's an amazing piece of equipment and not as hard to use as I thought it would be, although it's bitten me a couple times.  I don't use it that often so have to re-familiarize myself with it a little each time.  And there are a few things it doesn't have or I don't like.

There are now many options in that category, and I'm looking in particular at the Qu-16.  I'll have to spend several weeks reading the manual and posts, but I'm wondering if any former 01v users now have a Qu-16 and have any particular comments.

Thanks.

I sold my 01v's several years ago, but still mix on one once in a while. QU16 is much easier to navigate. More intuitive, easier to run wirelessly, graphic Eq.....I could go on. It's modern.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:51:12 AM »

The fact that you can't soft patch outputs blew my mind. I hope I wasn't mistaken, but I tried to put matrices from a QU24 out a AR2412 and I couldn't find a way to even after RTFM. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It was otherwise pleasant. FX sounded top notch. Felt well made. Much more modern, smooth, open feeling UI than the 01v96. Didn't like the aux setup with the 4 mono 4 stereo. RTA thing was pretty clever. Graphic EQ access was good, but they should have put the higher octave range first, because you almost never need to use the bottom 1.6 octaves but semi regularly will use the top few. This probably worked better on the QU16 where it was more like first half / second half.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »

Any of the newer current under 3K boards are a number of steps up from the venerable 01. In the world of "ease of use" though I might put the Soundcraft boards in the lead.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Craig Smith

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 11:52:51 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I had read some of Dick's thread but need to find more time for all 21 pages.  Can't soft-patch outputs?  One of the reasons I bought the 01.  I guess I need to read the manuals for all those boards, like I did with the 01 before I bought it.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can get much for mine.  I waited 5 years for something else to come out, only to see several a few months after I bought it.  I guess that's the way it is in audio.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 01:38:54 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I had read some of Dick's thread but need to find more time for all 21 pages.  Can't soft-patch outputs?  One of the reasons I bought the 01.  I guess I need to read the manuals for all those boards, like I did with the 01 before I bought it.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if I can get much for mine.  I waited 5 years for something else to come out, only to see several a few months after I bought it.  I guess that's the way it is in audio.

In fairness, I guess it's because there is a fixed bus structure with enough outputs so there isn't much need to (there is already an output per bus on the back). It's just when you hook up the AR2412 the matrix outputs could need to be moved. Unless I'm mistaken. For the rental / venue / touring market, I don't think there will be much tolerance for losing original digital features like output patching. Bands and solo operators, churches and etc, might appreciate Allen Heath's choice of simplicity over flexibility.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »

The fact that you can't soft patch outputs blew my mind.
I own a pair of 01v96s that I bought over a decade ago.  This was the best value mixer for about 8 years - nothing could touch it for features per dollar. While owning these and using them to great effect, I listened to 10 years of whining about how hard to use they were.  Once you get your patching set up, the 01v is about the same as most other digital boards to use - select what you're working on, then adjust your setting, but that didn't stop the complaining.

A&H released the Qu-series as a digital MixWizard, and it is easier to use, in part because of a more modern UI, and partly because it doesn't go as deep as the 01v (or other modern boards).

I find your comment more telling about the mindshare shift in the last 10 years of folks embracing digital and being willing to menu-dive, rather than damning of the Qu-series.  A&H made intentional decisions about what to include and what not to, based on their understanding of what users would need in that size and cost structure, and I suspect wanted this product to be a bridge to analog guys entering the world of digital, and sometimes more isn't better. 

All that said, A&H certainly knows how to make big-boy mixers with all of the routing and processing features a person can want.  Several of them have already made their way into various newer products via software updates after the fact, so it is indeed possible that this is coming. 

We customers are relentless. 

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »

I just want to know why they painted the stage box Heil purple?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 12:30:58 PM »

A&H made intentional decisions about what to include and what not to, based on their understanding of what users would need in that size and cost structure, and I suspect wanted this product to be a bridge to analog guys entering the world of digital, and sometimes more isn't better. 

Certainly quite intentional. I think it will work out for them too - despite my patching shock :). I don't think I'm they're target audience. Soundcraft made similar moves valuing simplicity over complexity. Behringer sort of did the opposite. Everybody is choosing their angles.

Craig Smith

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 01:17:25 AM »

I guess the more complex something is the more opportunity someone has to screw up.  In theory you could bury the more advanced things to lessen that risk, but there may also be a little marketing going on.  If you put too much in the cheap ones people won't have reason to buy the expensive ones.

I just find it frustrating when it wouldn't really cost anything to improve something, like a more flexible Q range on the Presonus parametrics.  There is so much you can do for relatively little cost with digital once you have the platform in place.

One thing I'd like to see on the ones that have recallable preamps is to physically separate the I/O from the control surface to begin with.

Loujudson

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »

I never used an 01, and when a friend got one he had to guide me every time - My name is Intuitive Audio and the 01 is not Intuitive to me! At a jazzschool wher I sit in occasionally, they recently had two 01s donated, and I bring my Qu and unpatch the 01 first. I can't even remember how to get reverb on a vocal with that ancient menu tech! I just got a Qu-24 as I found a buyer for my Presonus 24. Yay!

Lou

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »

I never used an 01, and when a friend got one he had to guide me every time - My name is Intuitive Audio and the 01 is not Intuitive to me! At a jazzschool wher I sit in occasionally, they recently had two 01s donated, and I bring my Qu and unpatch the 01 first. I can't even remember how to get reverb on a vocal with that ancient menu tech! I just got a Qu-24 as I found a buyer for my Presonus 24. Yay!

Lou

I still like my 01V96, it's brain exercise, keeps us old guys sharp, like an adventure game or a puzzle... builds neural networks  ;D

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »

I still like my 01V96, it's brain exercise, keeps us old guys sharp, like an adventure game or a puzzle... builds neural networks  ;D

I have the 01v96i and have to agree.. I still get lost on patching.. Strangest thing, I was trying to patch AUX3 out to an Aviom channel. Could not get it to pass my talkback mic no matter what I tried. Looked at the talkback channel in Studio Manager and on the right where it shows the AUX channels it said 'off' on AUX3 where the others showed the infinity sign. Not sure how to change it or why it was different. Clicked and Right Clicked and Viola,, It worked... Still not sure how.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.