ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless from board to camera?  (Read 5159 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Wireless from board to camera?
« on: May 01, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »

Well folks,
Got a job where they want to videotape some acts on the stage.  I can set up an aux easily enough (pre fade, post eq) via XLR - done that before. - they want to go wireless.  I know something exists -
I'm guessing it would be similar to a wireless monitor feed - but different.

Any clues as to what the something and if it is something that can be rented?

frank

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Wireless from board to camera?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »

Just find out what type of plug on the camera, then it is just mini plug from the iem to the camera.

You can get my item rack cheap if you want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 06:01:28 PM »

You might look into something like this:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-clip-on-lavalier-microphone-set-presentation-ew-100-eng-g3

The above kit from Sennheiser includes a bodypack transmitter, a plug-on transmitter, and a camera-mount receiver.

You could run an AUX send through a DI box to the plug-on transmitter.

Sennheiser (and others) also makes transmitters for IEM systems. If these transmitters are compatible with the camera receivers, that option would also work.

I'm sure there are systems out there for this purpose; I'm too lazy to do your research for you. :-)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:06:51 PM »

Well folks,
Got a job where they want to videotape some acts on the stage.  I can set up an aux easily enough (pre fade, post eq) via XLR - done that before. - they want to go wireless.  I know something exists -
I'm guessing it would be similar to a wireless monitor feed - but different.

Any clues as to what the something and if it is something that can be rented?

frank

Frank...

Make a safety dub in anticipation of the inevitable glitches with untried systems interfacing with consumer level gear...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 07:14:21 PM »

Frank...

Make a safety dub in anticipation of the inevitable glitches with untried systems interfacing with consumer level gear...

This is a good plan, as it will provide a level of redundancy. However, be aware that this can represent a lot of work. If you're not using gear with a synchronized time source (word clock) for both audio and video recording, synchronizing the audio during post-production will make you go bald.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 07:24:38 PM »

This is a good plan, as it will provide a level of redundancy. However, be aware that this can represent a lot of work. If you're not using gear with a synchronized time source (word clock) for both audio and video recording, synchronizing the audio during post-production will make you go bald.

Follicularly challenged. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 07:47:34 PM »

That would depend on the Video camera being used.  Might not support two channels.  If sending the smpte
Then he may have to send single time code and then place the stereo audio ontop. 

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 10:47:07 PM »

Thanks, folks.  During some of my additional research, a couple things, echoed here, became clear.
- Make a separate "safety" recording and sync later - the inevitable drop-outs.
- Stay away from wireless if at all possible.

Most of the other video sites I visited were so intent on the above points, absolutely nothing was said about equipment or line/mic levels or whether IEM was usable.

I did not see anything about the sync/word clock issue in my research - I would suspect that could be quite the problem.  The video producer's problem.

I did look at the Senn ENG systems, and I'm sure the answer was there but not knowing enough about what the transmitters were expecting and what the receiver outputs - had a hard time putting 2 and 2 together.

I've fed this camera (one of those community TV studios) with a line-level aux via XLR straight into the camera.

So, I may have enough info - a lot more than I had. 
Thanks!

frank

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 01:36:59 AM »

I use a Sennheiser bodypack transmitter fitted with XLR input cable, and adjust the pack sensitivity to prevent clipping. Then I provide the video crew either a standard half-rack receiver or the bodypack camera receiver. Usually they have a mixer of some sort to plug this into, but on occasion have to adapt it directly to the camera. It's best if they do have a mixer, because they should also use an ambient mic to mix in the sound of the room and audience. If they don't, you might also want to set that up in your feed. A video recorded only with a dry mix from the board sounds dead.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 01:47:06 AM »

Follicularly challenged. ;)

More like follicular trauma.

To give more detail about the word clock issue, it's this: without a common time reference, audio recorded using separate A/D converters will play back at slightly different rates when combined into a single medium. If audio is recorded separately from video, when combined together the audio will eventually drift behind or ahead of the video.

The reason is that no two A/D converters run at exactly the same rate. One may record at an average 44,090 Hz while another may record at 44,112 Hz (instead of the nominal 44,100 Hz). This is due to slight variations in the oscillation of the quartz crystal regulator based on temperature and other factors. If you have a common time source/word clock, then both A/D converters will use the same oscillator. With identical timing, you should be able to sync the audio to the video easily. (I don't know how or if word clock timestamps the data; if it does, it seems like it should be able to automatically synchronize audio and video.)

For short clips, the variation will be unnoticeable, but synchonizing the start of the clip can still be difficult. For longer clips -- say, 30 or 60 minutes -- the variation will become more noticeable the further along you are in video.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 01:47:06 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.