ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I missing something??!!? RF Cable  (Read 12569 times)

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
Am I missing something??!!? RF Cable
« on: April 30, 2014, 06:26:33 PM »

Sennheiser wants $300 for 100' of what looks to be nothing more than standard RG-6 with BNC ends on it. I can get 500' of RG-6 for about $80 and BNC ends for a few dollars each.  Is there something especially 'low-loss' about this cable?

http://www.pro-sound.com/p/SSENRG9913F100.html

Jerome Malsack

Re: Am I missing something??!!? RF Cable
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 07:20:46 PM »

As I see it YES.  However RF does require correct assembly.  There is two type of BNC connectors Also,  one for RF 50 ohm and one for video 75 ohm.  The center pin makes up some of the difference.  If my memory is working today the RF 50 ohm will have a larger center pin than the video 75 ohm. 

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:44:31 PM »

Sennheiser wants $300 for 100' of what looks to be nothing more than standard RG-6 with BNC ends on it. I can get 500' of RG-6 for about $80 and BNC ends for a few dollars each.  Is there something especially 'low-loss' about this cable?

http://www.pro-sound.com/p/SSENRG9913F100.html

Yes it is especially low-loss.  No, it is not RG-6 with BNC ends on it.  It is Belden 9913F7 50Ω cable that usually costs from $0.80 to $1.30 per foot for raw cable on the spool.  The connectors can cost anywhere from $2.00 to $12.00 each depending on quality, quantity, and source.  Sennheiser cable prices are usually on the high end.  You can find this cable for less if you shop around (http://www.thebroadcastshop.com/sales/detail.asp?partno=SEN-RG9913F100).

RG-6 is the wrong cable for the job, especially for 100ft. length.  It has the wrong impedance (75Ω) for mic and IEM systems, and comparatively high loss.  It is not designed for repeated deployment and recoiling, and is more susceptible to repeated-flex related failures due to its copper-clad steel center conductor.

Some people claim that an impedance mismatch of 25Ω has minimal effect.  I partially disagree with that, and think it's unwise mess around with less than optimal setups when it's so easy to do it right.

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »

Yes it is especially low-loss.  No, it is not RG-6 with BNC ends on it.  It is Belden 9913F7 50Ω cable that usually costs from $0.80 to $1.30 per foot for raw cable on the spool.  The connectors can cost anywhere from $2.00 to $12.00 each depending on quality, quantity, and source.  Sennheiser cable prices are usually on the high end.  You can find this cable for less if you shop around (http://www.thebroadcastshop.com/sales/detail.asp?partno=SEN-RG9913F100).

RG-6 is the wrong cable for the job, especially for 100ft. length.  It has the wrong impedance (75Ω) for mic and IEM systems, and comparatively high loss.  It is not designed for repeated deployment and recoiling, and is more susceptible to repeated-flex related failures due to its copper-clad steel center conductor.

Some people claim that an impedance mismatch of 25Ω has minimal effect.  I partially disagree with that, and think it's unwise mess around with less than optimal setups when it's so easy to do it right.

So the "cost" of this cable is roughly $125 not taking into account all the volume discounts etc that Sennheiser surely gets.  This is where oem's can really piss off customers.  I don't think anyone begrudges a 25-50% profit to an oem.  But when they start marking up 100%+ just because it has their name on it, people get ticked off.  I would be making my own.  This is exactly why I refuse to use Honda oil in my motorcycle or Polaris oil in my atv and snowmobile.  Oem's think putting their name on something they had made by the lowest bidder entitles them to a stratospheric markup.
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:12 PM »

So the "cost" of this cable is roughly $125 not taking into account all the volume discounts etc that Sennheiser surely gets.  This is where oem's can really piss off customers.  I don't think anyone begrudges a 25-50% profit to an oem.  But when they start marking up 100%+ just because it has their name on it, people get ticked off.  I would be making my own.  This is exactly why I refuse to use Honda oil in my motorcycle or Polaris oil in my atv and snowmobile.  Oem's think putting their name on something they had made by the lowest bidder entitles them to a stratospheric markup.

On the OTHER hand... OEMs putting their name on a product also means that they can control the quality of the product, and better ensure a match with their product, as opposed to telling someone to get the Belden cable, the person thinks RG-6 (or, god forbid, RG-59) will suffice, and then they're upset when it doesn't perform as Sennheiser would want it to.

That's why Apple has (except for that little bit of time from '96 to '99ish) always wanted to sell their hardware AND OS together, and not allow any Joe Schmoe to build computers and install the MacOS on it. They can control the build quality of the hardware and ensure that it plays well with the software.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 11:16:19 PM »

On the OTHER hand... OEMs putting their name on a product also means that they can control the quality of the product, and better ensure a match with their product, as opposed to telling someone to get the Belden cable, the person thinks RG-6 (or, god forbid, RG-59) will suffice, and then they're upset when it doesn't perform as Sennheiser would want it to.

That's why Apple has (except for that little bit of time from '96 to '99ish) always wanted to sell their hardware AND OS together, and not allow any Joe Schmoe to build computers and install the MacOS on it. They can control the build quality of the hardware and ensure that it plays well with the software.

-Ray

Yup, and I would never own any Apple product for just that reason.  Overpriced for the same reason the Sennheiser cable and the Honda oil is.

That's a good theory if it were the case.  But when it comes to accessories, they put some specs out for bids, buy it from the lowest bidder, and jack the price when they slap their name on it. It's done for profit, not performance. No thanks.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:20:14 PM by Alex Rigodanzo »
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 12:11:37 AM »

Yup, and I would never own any Apple product for just that reason.  Overpriced for the same reason the Sennheiser cable and the Honda oil is.

Meh, yes and no-- back in the 'good ole days' (I've been using Apple products since '94), people went with Apples 'cos they were insanely well built even for the price. They were cutting edge (first laptops, first portables with CD drives, DVD drives, Ethernet, etc) and way faster then their PC-based counterparts, with the RISC-based architecture versus the PC's CISC-based architecture.

Now, people buy Macs cos it's the 'cool' thing to do. Haha.

That's a good theory if it were the case.  But when it comes to accessories, they put some specs out for bids, buy it from the lowest bidder, and jack the price when they slap their name on it. It's done for profit, not performance. No thanks.

But there's still the knowledge that the specs are what the initial product requires. For some, that is worth a premium. I don't want to be the one onsite who is trying to explain to the client why (insert anything here) doesn't work because I was a bit too cheap to get the right spec'd gear. Or even worse, an array that falls because I didn't want to buy the right rigging hardware for the job. May be a bit of an extreme example, but it's on the same token. What the manufacturer has determined will do the job without fail. (Save a total screw up on my end. Haha)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lyle Williams

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 05:43:05 AM »

9913 is a nice enough cable.  LMR-400 is similar, but might be more readily available in some markets.  RG213 is very readily available, but not in the same loss class as the other two.

For an application where I had an active antenna feeding the coax back to a wireless mic receiver, I'd probably go with a thinner cable.

But the big cables are mechanically robust...

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:47:01 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I'll look into picking up a spool of the Belden 50ohm cable.  This is for an install, looking to extend two wireless mic antennas about 75'.  It's by no means 'critical' use, but at the same time if I'm going to install it it's going to work properly, every time.  Thanks for the insight guys.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »

How about something like the PWS cable?  They sell it in bulk, or pre-terminated.

http://professionalwireless.com/sales/antenna-cable/pws-9046-cable

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.