ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 18" Sub Quest  (Read 7086 times)

Bill Horton

18" Sub Quest
« on: April 30, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »

Hi All -
First post. Playing in a classic rock 4 piece. Looking to add a sub as bigger opportunities present themselves. Would most likely only need one for 90% of indoor gigs. I currently have an option of a passive EAW 18" Pt # SB 118 I think. going for $500 or (2) powered Seismic 18"s for $600. I have a power amp so remove that extra cost from the equation.  Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: 18" Sub Quest
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »

Hi All -
First post. Playing in a classic rock 4 piece. Looking to add a sub as bigger opportunities present themselves. Would most likely only need one for 90% of indoor gigs. I currently have an option of a passive EAW 18" Pt # SB 118 I think. going for $500 or (2) powered Seismic 18"s for $600. I have a power amp so remove that extra cost from the equation.  Your thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
Stay away from the Seismic.

But really, more importantly, hop on over to your profile and update your Display Name to be your real, full name, as is required by the Rules of Participation on the Pro Sound Web. Until you do, no one is permitted to assist you with your inquiry!

Thanks!

Ray Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Thomas Le

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »

What's the power amp?

Between the two, I'd go EAW. Seismic is one of those sloppily made chinese boxes you get on fleabay.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:33:15 PM »

Hi All -
Thanks in advance!

There are a lot more options out there then just those two. Personally I hate Seismic and I would be thinking about saving some more cash. At $1000 you have a lot more good options, and by about $1300 you could buy a single powered sub that would shred 4 of the Seismics. Buying used would also expand your options.

While you have a power amp, going passive will also likely require a crossover of some type. (There may be one built into your amp)
Jay Barracato

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »

There are a lot more options out there then just those two. Personally I hate Seismic and I would be thinking about saving some more cash. At $1000 you have a lot more good options, and by about $1300 you could buy a single powered sub that would shred 4 of the Seismics. Buying used would also expand your options.

While you have a power amp, going passive will also likely require a crossover of some type. (There may be one built into your amp)

+1 Cheap gear is usually more expensive than you think.

I had a pair of PV-118 (same price range as the Seismic, might be better quality).  Got rid of them and found a used JBL PRX618XLF.  The JBL *solo* has more output than the two Peaveys did, and loafs along with no stress.  There are some of the JBLs around, expect to pay about $1000 depending on shipping.

If you give a few more details about venues (how big), SPL needed,  and which instruments are going through the sub, the folks here can give you solid recommendations.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 12:06:55 AM »

If you give a few more details about venues (how big), SPL needed,  and which instruments are going through the sub, the folks here can give you solid recommendations.
I'd add also which top speakers does this sub has to work with.
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Bill Horton

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »

Hi All -
Thanks in advance!
Per request: Using Mackie Mixer, QSC Qx7 amps and a choice of JBL MR 825 or JRX115 with upgraded driver for the top half. Bass and drums would be all the sub is handling. The Mackie has an onboard X-over I also have a separate unit that I bought and haven't used - not sure the brand or model. Again we are a bar band that has been vocals only and ready to step up the sound on a limited budget. Also interested in thoughts on my options of top end between the JBLs as I will sell one of the sets to help pay for the sub.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 12:19:32 PM »

The Seismic is all any bar deserves Im saying that because I'll wager youll get paid the same with or without any subs.

Bill Horton

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 05:13:15 PM »

The Seismic is all any bar deserves Im saying that because I'll wager youll get paid the same with or without any subs.
I understand and agree with the fact that the bar pay won't change but as gigs get bigger such as the Taste of Huntington Beach last weekend, Concerts in the Park coming up this summer, (2) corporate ballroom gigs in July we want to be able to provide a higher quality sound.

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

I understand and agree with the fact that the bar pay won't change but as gigs get bigger such as the Taste of Huntington Beach last weekend, Concerts in the Park coming up this summer, (2) corporate ballroom gigs in July we want to be able to provide a higher quality sound.

For those "big" gigs hire a local sound company for a portion of the price youll sink into some decent subs, youll sound GREAT, wont have to drag any gear around,  and will have a pro on your team.

Mike

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.