ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy 20th Birthday live-audio board...  (Read 14734 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Happy 20th Birthday live-audio board...
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 02:51:28 PM »

I was writing assembly language programs for VIC-20 in about 1983, in school.  We were able to eventually use it to dialup the school mainframe to do homewok at home, with one of those rubber acoustic coupler things.  300 baud, whoopee!!!

We used a lot of rubber bands in those days.....

But did they hide the password on that fold away shelf, like where Matthew Broderick found it in WarGames?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »

I was writing assembly language programs for VIC-20 in about 1983, in school.

College or high school?  In  '83 as a HS junior I scratch built a cassette interface so I could use a standard cassette recorder to store programs and an 8K memory expansion for my VIC-20.  Didn't have the cash for "store bought", but a friends dad was an engineer and got me some surplus chips to use.
Steve Swaffer

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »

College or high school?  In  '83 as a HS junior I scratch built a cassette interface so I could use a standard cassette recorder to store programs and an 8K memory expansion for my VIC-20.  Didn't have the cash for "store bought", but a friends dad was an engineer and got me some surplus chips to use.

College.  We also of course wrote Assembler for the big iron. I think the OS at the time was VM/370.

//STEP01    EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 07:22:08 PM »

College.  We also of course wrote Assembler for the big iron. I think the OS at the time was VM/370.

//STEP01    EXEC PGM=IEFBR14

I never got to assembler, in college I was bumbling along in Fortran 4 on a 360. Submitting our programs on decks of punchcards. In '83 I had been running a small studio for a few years, and had a few more to go before I left to be a freelancer. Being a self employed soundman left plenty of time for the Interwebs once they came along.

Mac

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »

I never got to assembler, in college I was bumbling along in Fortran 4 on a 360. Submitting our programs on decks of punchcards. In '83 I had been running a small studio for a few years, and had a few more to go before I left to be a freelancer. Being a self employed soundman left plenty of time for the Interwebs once they came along.

Mac

So you obviously get the rubber band reference....
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 12:44:46 AM »

First programming was in 80 using FORTRAN and some PASCAL. A couple of years later the high school had some IBM PC's and we started using basic. I also had a maxed out commodore 64 at home at that time. A couple of years later in engineering at college we were mostly working on pc's.

I also just missed the slide rule years as I hit my first chemistry class right as the TI-35 was getting established.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »

I missed all that useful knowledge. Touched my first computer in 1988.  Went into a computer store where the salesman was busy with a customer.  Looked at the two demo machines powered up on the shelf, figured out the mouse and the folder icons and the document icons on the Apple Mac Plus in about five minutes.  Had no luck doing anything with the blinking green bar on the black screen on the PC.  When the salesman finally did come over I said " I'll take the Apple since  the IBM seems to be broken". ;D

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »

My intro was 81-82 after completing a specialized mount for an infrared camera to be mounted on a high altitude balloon. Designed and built it with mobility through the X/Y and Z axis using stepper motor capable of moving the 110lb camera plus mount. After completion the doctor in charge of the project decided I should be involved in the ground control so I got my feet wet on a PDP-1, then an HP1, and finally a Commodore PET.

I was hooked at that point and eventually took the PET home. About a year later I ran into a guy who owned a very nice startup, and he offered my the same benefits plus a 10K raise and a new computer twice per year. Green screens, floppies and eventually a 10mb Seagate HDD. Another part of the same project was a very precise high current ultra low speed motor used for turning the payload attached to the balloon 1 degree at a time.

Now declassified the payload weighed in at just over 10,000lbs. The balloon used to lift that load was 280 feet long inflated and launched using a crane. The goal was to trace Russian aircraft signatures, which was a complete success. 

Here's some old pics of the project components;
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 06:44:28 PM »

Ok, I guess I gotta show my age.

I wrote an assembly language program for the PDP-8e back in 1972 to read and write data to cassettes. I was destructively testing several brands of cassette decks :-)

I had email in 1978 though it was only a company network (with only 256 network addresses) since the Internet as we know it didn't exist yet.

I formed my first sound company in 1968 to do 4h fairs with Atlas horns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

David Bedrack

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 06:45:30 AM »

20 years ago this month a perl script on a shared server at halcyon.com at the Seattle NAP in the Westin Hotel in downtown Seattle first hosted the live-audio board.

Happy Birthday LAB.  In Internet years you are pre historic.  Kind of like Fowler or Mac...

20 years already? Hmm.. I joined somewhere back in 98 or something.....How old we are now? Close to retirement, eh?

Dear Dave, those about 4-5  happy years I spent with the good fellows in the Old LAB were my best years in the audio biz, education wise. Now I am deeper in my day job with little time for "speakers" .But, hey.. I remember about any thread in the LAB and the heated discussions until early in the morning, where blood would spill and heads would roll on the floor, all around proper grounding ,mic positioning or EQ of large halls

Be blessed.

All the best

David

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 06:45:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.