ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy 20th Birthday live-audio board...  (Read 14797 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: Happy 20th Birthday live-audio board...
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 04:50:27 PM »

The geezer thread?  Glad to see you're still out there being obstreperous Dave.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 11:20:49 PM »

Dave,

Thanks for this, it's been a pretty fine ride.

Best regards,

John

Stefan Maerz

• Knoxville Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »

Didn't realize you guys had been around so long. I've learned *so many* things from the people here.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

Didn't realize you guys had been around so long. I've learned *so many* things from the people here.

The "core group" of LABsters found each other on CompuServe, on the LSMAG forum which was started by Anthony McLean when he was Live Sound! editor.  This would be around 1994.  But it was a pay service, Dave put the script up in Seattle, and pretty soon everyone had migrated.

The first post was by Monty Lee Wilkes: "Check one two is this thing on?".
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 01:20:31 AM »

Hmmm... 20 years ago I was 4yrs old and had probably never used a computer. :-)

I got my first email address -- and first accessed the Internet -- the year you were born. (1990, unless that's inaccurate due to rounding errors.)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 02:10:06 AM »

I got my first email address -- and first accessed the Internet -- the year you were born. (1990, unless that's inaccurate due to rounding errors.)

I was born in '89, so you're pretty close. :-) I didn't get online until the late 90's and we were still on dial up at home until '09 or '10. My smartphone has twice as much storage as our first internet connected computer, has a much faster processor, and has more than twice the memory.

Sent from my cousin's iPhone using Tapatalk while I fix my N4

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 09:06:56 AM »

My first computer back in the '70s was a kit (Heathkit version of DEC LSI 11/2) I had to built most of it and it still cost about $6500. I fully loaded it with 28k x16b memory. I had to write all the software myself to make it do anything. My first modem had rubber cups where you sit the phone on it to communicate back and forth. before the phone company relaxed interface standards.

I ran a small mail order business with that computer and even wrote one crude filter design program. Kids today have it a little easier.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »

My first computer back in the '70s was a kit (Heathkit version of DEC LSI 11/2) I had to built most of it and it still cost about $6500. I fully loaded it with 28k x16b memory. I had to write all the software myself to make it do anything. My first modem had rubber cups where you sit the phone on it to communicate back and forth. before the phone company relaxed interface standards.

I ran a small mail order business with that computer and even wrote one crude filter design program. Kids today have it a little easier.

JR

(I was born in '79)

Our first computer at home was when my dad quit from HP- he bought an HP 9816 for 50% off-- and it was still something like $3750. 2 3.5" FDD, everything ran off of those, none of these sissy "windows" or "mice." Dot-matrix printer. I remember writing a report on the ostrich in the third grade ('88) and having him help me put the coding into the Pascal text program to bold the title for me. My brother actually learned to program in Pascal as well. We had a Star Trek game on there-- again, all textish based (old ASCII styled "images"). Rotary wheel on the keyboard you could use to "aim" the phaser/photon torpedoes to try and hit the Klingons.

There was an HP-designed spreadsheetish kindof program, and I remember my dad preparing tax returns with it.

First Mac Powerbook 520 in October '94, sophomore in high school. Only kid at school who brought a laptop to school! My dad was working for a bellevue, WA-based ISP at the time, so I had email early on. And a website, which I used for a run for Senior Class Treasurer. I kept changing home pages on school computer lab computers to go to my campaign page. :D Yay for all-HTML with the blink tag. Haha.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 01:13:29 PM »

Kids today have it a little easier.

But not necessarily better.  I bet you understood the workings better than a fair number of engineering grads do today. 
Steve Swaffer

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »

JR

I was writing assembly language programs for VIC-20 in about 1983, in school.  We were able to eventually use it to dialup the school mainframe to do homewok at home, with one of those rubber acoustic coupler things.  300 baud, whoopee!!!

We used a lot of rubber bands in those days.....
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.