ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: coffee  (Read 20040 times)

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
Re: coffee
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »

Slight topic swerve.....

For those of us who drink very strong coffee with milk (and sugar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2NQ_pBysps
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »

All of the cheap drip coffee makers use similar technology and make very good coffee. The small water heat element that pushes small amounts of near boiling water up a tube to drip into the grounds can deliver near perfect temperature water from optimal brewing. However the heating element is not very robust so they only have a half life of several years.

I won't quibble over the several good ways to brew coffee (other than perk), but the common theme is not overheating the brewed coffee.

Coffee loses flavor pretty rapidly after grinding, so grinding your beans just before brewing reduces that loss. A similar but not as rapid mechanism for flavor degradation occurs after roasting. Green beans can be stored for years, but after roasting it is best consumed in days. So I roast my own every few days. 

My favorite source for green beans is  http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.greencoffee.mvc.php

I am often a two pot a day coffee drinker. Leaded hi-test for my morning jolt, and Decaf for a second late-afternoon pot, so I can actually get to sleep at night. They make some very good quality water-process decaf coffee. The mass market decafs generally start with inferior beans. Buying green and roasting yourself you can get high quality decaf too. 

In hot weather I will make cold coffee the easy way. Grind up the grounds then put them in a suitable container to hold a pot's worth of cold water. Then I let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. To consume the next day I just pour the mix into my pour over coffee filter to remove the grounds. Easy peasy and no special hardware required.

JR

PS: I use RO filtered water... the real coffee purists insist that filtered water is not as good as having some mineral content in the water. I am not that tweaky.

[edit] you can somewhat modulate the amount of caffeine in roasted coffee by how long (dark) you roast the beans. The longer the bean is roasted the less caffeine remains, while I do not know how significant this is... most people modulate caffeine by ground coffee to water ratio  [/edit]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:46:23 AM by John Roberts {JR} »
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 11:45:10 AM »

this is how I make it. Anybody else a coffee Luddite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the other end of the coffee spectrum. :-) Keurig with a reusable filter cup brewing Starbucks Pike Place Roast coffee.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Purity + HellsCore b46-t4 using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:51:55 AM by Tommy Peel »

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »

French Press for me most days, espresso when I feel like it.

I have been considering roasting my beans, but for now, Costco has the great price on very decent beans.  You can get fair trade coffee, roasted by Starbucks (I know, no real advantage there), and it's basically ten bucks for two pounds of beans.  They offer a decent variety, maybe 4 different bean/roast combinations.

Espresso - right now I have some Illi beans.  Machine is a budget DeLonghi, top rated on Amazon for espresso under $100.  Grinder is Capresso, again, top rated on Amazon under $100.

I typically drink it black, but I often make cappuccino when I make espresso.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »

Night, in a foxhole.  Instant coffee in packets and a canteen; no fires allowed.  Bad guys may or may not be in the vicinity.  Knock back the coffee powder, and wash it down with canteen water.  It's hard to be a "coffee snob" after that, although I have actually had worse coffee since then.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »

Russ , we would just tuck it under the lip like chewing tobacco and let it dissolve.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »

Night, in a foxhole.  Instant coffee in packets and a canteen; no fires allowed.  Bad guys may or may not be in the vicinity.  Knock back the coffee powder, and wash it down with canteen water.  It's hard to be a "coffee snob" after that, although I have actually had worse coffee since then.
Yup C-RAT coffee is far from the worst...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »

It all tastes like the worst thing in the world to me, doesn't matter if it's cheap supermarket instant or properly brewed from freshly roast and ground beans.

Steve.

John Sabine

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »

I used a French press before the percolator and I use the Wolfgang puck single serving machine at work. I use 1 teaspoon coffee per 2 cups of water and just use my nose and eyes to tell when it's done. The big trick is setting the heat so that the percolator works but the coffee doesn't boil.
I usually go French press, but this thread inspired me to drag out my grandmother's old stovetop percolator this morning.

I think I should have let it perk longer... pretty weak.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:24:45 PM by John Sabine »
"I think it needs more barn"

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »

Russ , we would just tuck it under the lip like chewing tobacco and let it dissolve.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Some things never change. Charms, Chicklets, and coffee packs.

I've been using BUNN coffee makers for years now. I like the way they spray the water through the grounds, never burn them, and make 10 cups in less than 2 minutes. A little pricey but worth the money.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.