ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: coffee  (Read 20037 times)

John Sabine

coffee
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »

this is how I make it. Anybody else a coffee Luddite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I think it needs more barn"

Jordan Wolf

Re: coffee
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:19:30 AM »

I use an electric version of the same.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 09:07:43 AM »

I use an electric version of the same.

Only when I'm camping.  Otherwise, it's a Cuisinart drip machine at home.

Great source for great beans(U.S. based, although they may ship abroad):

http://www.gocoffeego.com/

Best regards,

John

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »

I usually go French press, but this thread inspired me to drag out my grandmother's old stovetop percolator this morning.

I think I should have let it perk longer... pretty weak.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »

I usually go French press, but this thread inspired me to drag out my grandmother's old stovetop percolator this morning.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »

Coffee from an enameled tin vessel has a certain je ne sais quois . From the days when men were men, and women were too. Coffee was about a means to an end, not an existential journey to find yourself in a half caf soy mocha and pick up the latest michael buble christmas album while you're at it. 

I'm cursed with coffee brewing devices, I should get one of those.

Interestingly enough, if you want a novelty sized dose of caffeine and don't care how much it may or may not taste like actual coffee, Nescafe instant coffee beats anything you can get at the 'Bucks for caffeine density.       

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »

Since I roast my own coffee from green beans all I can say is not no, but hell no. Percolated coffee is not bad considering, but if you overheat the brewed coffee oils in it oxidize and turn nasty. I do a variant pour over (similar to melita), and even cool the boiling water a few degrees before pouring into the coffee, ground literally minutes before, and roasted only days before. (Yes I like good coffee). 

The worst coffee I ever had was in a diner in NJ at 3am after closing down some bars in NY. That stuff was too rank to drink, and that is saying a lot. I recall one time I was on KP duty in the woods in Germany (Nato maneuvers in the '70s) and we made coffee in an old galvanized pan, like you soak your feet in. First you boil a few gallons of water, pour in a huge mess hall sized can of ground coffee, the sprinkle some cold water over the grounds floating on the top so they will sink. Then pour the brew into a several gallon decanter to serve. While we had to pick a few leaves out of the field coffee, it was a hundred times better tasting than that NJ diner. :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »

I'm with JR and have not used a percolator since I was a kid. It was a Revereware product and I bought one of these a few years ago (Ebay, very affordable) for its nostalgic value. I made two batches and the coffee sucks. It is now just a piece of sculpture.

After it was first introduced I tried and fell in love with the "classic" Braun kitchen coffee maker and over the years (decades, probably) I wore-out quite a few. You could not beat the cost for a new one. But they were discontinued 4-5 years ago, so I bought about 6 of them on Ebay and am now down to two. For me, this still makes the best brewed coffee.

My favorite coffee beans come from coffeebeandirect.com

And I am compelled to challenge Hayden's assertion regarding the caffeine content of Nescafe vs Starbucks instant coffees. Can you back up your claim ?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:28:04 AM by Tom Young »
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:54 AM »

Krups coffee maker for us. I buy Peets Major Dickason's 1/2 pound at a time and use a generous amount per pot - less coffee means more water runs over the grounds, making it more bitter. Filtered water a must out here in LA; a Brita is fine. I then usually have a cup and put the rest in the fridge for delicious iced coffee.

Since I'm more of an iced coffee drinker (black, none of that syrup or cream crap) I may invest in this, since our favorite coffee place in the South Bay, Two Guns, does the cold brew method…
http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold-Brew-System/dp/B0006H0JVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398870508&sr=8-1&keywords=coffee+toddy

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 19 queries.