ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: coffee  (Read 20037 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: coffee
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2014, 07:07:02 PM »

I have been roasting for over a decade and now have two drum roasters (one for back-up), but you can get started with a pop corn popper. They usually use a varaic with the popcorn popper to vary the temperature.

I started out with a (fluid bed) forced air roaster, while they are cheaper they do not hold up very well. I graduated to a decent drum roaster after about a year and several break downs with my first air roaster. My current roaster is a top of line drum roaster with all the bells and whistles and frankly I don't use the extra gadgetry, so if i had that choice over I'd get the simpler but still big dog drum roaster and save the couple hundred dollars.

For just starting out you can get a hot air roaster pretty inexpensively and see if you like the results. In fact you could probably roast the green beans in a frying pan, while you don't want to roast coffee indoors. it makes a lot of smoke, and the beans throw off chaff, when they crack, kind of like popcorn popping but not as spectacular.   

JR

Lots of people using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wabash-Valley-Farms-25008-Whirley-Pop/dp/B00004SU35/

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 07:14:54 PM »

That is a cheap way to check it out...You can also use those popcorn poppers designed to use on a camp fire (square metal box with screen on top and a long handle). You need to shake it or somehow keep the beans moving so they all roast evenly. Roasting in a frying pan requires stirring the beans constantly so they get heat evenly

if you start roasting a lot you will appreciate letting a machine do the work.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
G.I. "Joe"
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 11:14:55 PM »

Some things never change. Charms, Chicklets, and coffee packs.

I remember "enjoying" an MRE in the desert circa 1992, and encountering a package of M&Ms with a sweepstakes - grand prize, a new '84 VW Westfalia camper.  Maybe I should have entered...
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2014, 12:14:04 AM »

I used a BUNN for decades and in the end I couldn't buy the part(s) I needed to keep it working properly.

Not to ruin your coffee buzz, but the way the BUNN delivers instant hot water is by keeping one pots worth of water in the tank heated all the time. So pouring in fresh water cooler water, will just displaces the previous load of heated water into your pot.

As my trusty old BUNN got old, I started to perceive a difference between my morning pot and later pots of coffee, it turned out the temperature regulation mechanism was also tired so I was brewing with different temp water for the different batches (morning batch was hotter). It didn't make a huge flavor difference, but enough for me to notice.   

These days I use a cheap electric kettle to boil water and it only takes a few minutes to boil water for my morning dose, and I have better control over the pour-over temperature (I let it cool a few degrees from boiling, but not a lot).

JR

PS: With freshly roasted coffee there will be a "crema" (foam) formed by escaping CO2 from the grounds when hot water is introduced. I ended up replacing the sprinkler nozzle head on my BUNN with a lower (slower) output version to prevent the mess of excess crema in the brew basket, but this was all years ago.

I replaced my old BUNN last year after it started the half pot thing and lower temps. The new model is outstanding and about 10 steps up from the one I had. Price was the same, and a quick call to BUNN will get you anything for any model now.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »

I replaced my old BUNN last year after it started the half pot thing and lower temps. The new model is outstanding and about 10 steps up from the one I had. Price was the same, and a quick call to BUNN will get you anything for any model now.
Nothing against the Bunn.

The part that was broken that I couldn't get a replacement for was the larger top molded housing... It was a good soldier and gave me many years of service but it was retired. The cheap drip brewers have a half life of a couple years. I even messed with a couple that would grind the beans inside the brewer, but they were not more robust. My current pour over regimen works and is a down to a simple routine. I fill the electric kettle, while the beans are grinding, When the beans finish I start the kettle, and clean out the remains of the last pot, then load a new filter and wait for the pot to boil. It boils faster if I don't watch it.

I use a somewhat unusual combination of a metal and a paper coffee filter. If I use just the metal filter I get too much sediment, if I use just the paper filter it clogs up and takes too long to flow, actually over extracting the coffee, the combination of metal and paper, gives me clean coffee that is just right... Drinking my first cup of the day as I type. :-)

JR 

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lee Brenkman

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »

I used to save the coffee, hot chocolate packets (B unit IIRC), sugar and cream packets and cook it all up with a couple of heat tabs in a canteen cup for the late night stuff.  It was a real treat.

Heat tabs?  A pea sized ball of C4 would do a much better job, even if it was "unauthorized use"

sam saponaro

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2014, 03:32:04 PM »

Worst coffea I ever had was made in a Nashville hotel room I used the bathroom plastic cup they give you with your soaps and towels.I microwaved some water put grounds in a coffea filter and dunked it like a teabag to make coffee...........ugh!! NASTY.....
In real life I put a super small pinch of salt in my coffee grounds in the coffee maker.Takes the bitter out and makes it smooth.

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 05:09:41 PM »

I too am a coffee nerd. I prefer someone else roasting the beans though. My favorite beans currently are Handsome Coffee from LA and Kaldis coffee from St. Louis. Ground in a cuisinart burr grinder and brewed in a French press with Brita filtered water heated up in a kettle on the stove. I wait about 10-15 seconds after water boils to pour over the grinds to not burn the coffee.
I love the fact of how simple a French press is and how it can be fully cleaned, keeping coffee taste consistent. The main reason I do not like drop coffee makers is that people don't clean the pot fully before filling it up with water and pour it into the heating element area. The small amounts of coffee residue add up and become bitter overtime, making each cup of coffee worse and worse.

- Tony Williams

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 01:46:34 PM »

I too am a coffee nerd. I prefer someone else roasting the beans though. My favorite beans currently are Handsome Coffee from LA and Kaldis coffee from St. Louis. Ground in a cuisinart burr grinder and brewed in a French press with Brita filtered water heated up in a kettle on the stove. I wait about 10-15 seconds after water boils to pour over the grinds to not burn the coffee.
I love the fact of how simple a French press is and how it can be fully cleaned, keeping coffee taste consistent. The main reason I do not like drop coffee makers is that people don't clean the pot fully before filling it up with water and pour it into the heating element area. The small amounts of coffee residue add up and become bitter overtime, making each cup of coffee worse and worse.

- Tony Williams

Kaldis is good stuff, they are expanding locally.

Another great local roaster is Chauvin, http://www.chauvincoffee.com/
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »

this is how I make it. Anybody else a coffee Luddite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I lame... for not drinking coffee at all?

People even ask me, "You live in Seattle, how can you not drink coffee?!?"   Alas... Just don't like the flavor.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 18 queries.